Crossfit beginner

Options
Okay so got my crossfit induction on thursday, already been for my free taster session (didnt die) lol

Im at least 80lbs over weight and double unders, pull ups and box jumps all seem very daunting at the moment.

Who's doing crossfit and why? Any tips for me?

Replies

• HMS0011
    HMS0011 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started crossfit about 6 months ago because I tend to get bored with routines. There is a different workout every day and I can always scale every single workout to my ability. My favorite part is that I no longer have to scale as much as I originally did because I am making visible progress, which keeps me motivated and coming back for more!
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I love love LOVE crossfit. I have been doing it for 3 years. Im overweight (my nutrition sucks!). I have pain from a car wreck so I modify a lot of the body weight movements, but I can squat and deadlift more then i weigh!
    Tips? Be consistent, work on the movements you dont like. Ex: If you can only do quarter squats work on flexibility
    I always try to pick someone who in the gym class and use them as inspiration to keep moving. You are not there to be better then anyone else just better then you were yesterday. All way strive to improve movements/abilities.
    Have fun!!! Did i Mention I love crossfit?
  • cupcake28
    cupcake28 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I think you mentioned once or twice lol i used to weight lift but havent been out in my garage for months.... i dislike running but i do it anyway as best i can. Thank you for the information. Hoping to fall in love with it too. Ive been back training for two days and i ache everywhere. I'd forgotten what that felt like lol
  • rheamanda
    rheamanda Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I started CF in July 2016, and took a month or so break for WLS. I was over 100 lbs overweight when I began and have had two back surgeries and severe nerve damage. So far, there has never been a time when I couldn't modify something and still feel the mixture of give me death please, and a sense of accomplishment at the end of every workout. I do step-ups in the place of DU and Box Jumps. My goal for 2017 is to do a pull-up. Last week I started to practice my grip and just hanging from the bar. Now I'm using bands to help get me over the bar. Hopefully, over the next few months I will be strong enough to use the smaller tension bands. Good Luck!
  • angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I did it for a month (there was a groupon) but otherwise it was too expensive for me. I did fall in love with it though. I loved that I was doing things I never thought I would be able to, I loved the individualized attention and how supportive everyone was.

I was terrified of box jumps too, but they just had me do step ups more than jumps. I could've progressed to that if I stayed longer. Also, for pull ups, we looped a resistance band around the bar and put our foot in like a stirrup, which helped. I also started out just jumping up from the ground on the bar lowest the ground. Surprisingly that still gives you a workout, if you just try to tense your muscles.

Good luck!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Everything can be scaled-Single Unders for Double Unders, Resistance Band Pull Ups, etc.

Just do your best and keep good form! That's key, especially when you're fatigued and lifting weights.

• cupcake28
    cupcake28 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

rheamanda wrote: »
    I started CF in July 2016, and took a month or so break for WLS. I was over 100 lbs overweight when I began and have had two back surgeries and severe nerve damage. So far, there has never been a time when I couldn't modify something and still feel the mixture of give me death please, and a sense of accomplishment at the end of every workout. I do step-ups in the place of DU and Box Jumps. My goal for 2017 is to do a pull-up. Last week I started to practice my grip and just hanging from the bar. Now I'm using bands to help get me over the bar. Hopefully, over the next few months I will be strong enough to use the smaller tension bands. Good Luck!

Thanks i also have quite a few lbs to shift so its good to know it works xx

I agree it is expensive but if it works i'm happy to dig a little deeper for functional exercise x

Thanks everyone x
  • AAJoseph
    AAJoseph Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Honestly, when I am asked is it expensive I cannot give a yes or no. If you show up at least 2-3 times a week I know you come out with a cheaper price per class vs. hiring a personal trainer + gym membership. I stick to that even if it a $10 gym membership.
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I started a couple of months ago, but haven't been back in a while. The classes are hard but I'd leave feeling amazing. Just make sure you're eating well if you're going to go to a class and honestly don't be afraid of pausing if you need to. My class was full of very fit individuals, with beautiful bodies. Although I'd already lost 35 pounds by then but I felt like they would be laughing at me as I was obviously out of shape- if anything I found the trainer and everyone else to be much nicer and friendlier than I even expected .
  • SarahG0425
    SarahG0425 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started last week and I love it. This is obviously a older thread but it thought I'd comment on it. My box is so friendly. I don't feel like I am being judged. I got bored at my old gym with a routine. Hopefully I will keep this up. I also dont feel like its expensive. Yes its more than my gym membership but its cheaper than getting a personal trainer. I like how crossfit has coaches constantly watching you.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I've been doing CrossFit for about 2 years. I had to sit on the sideline for past 6 months due to a rotator cuff tear/surgery (not caused by CF, just normal wear and tear, warming up on the bench press it popped just under a year ago). I'm now back and the great thing is, some things I can do almost as well as I did before, but most things I need to scale and take a bit easier for another 3-6 months. CrossFit lets me get a great workout in regardless, and my coaches work with me to come up wiht alternatives if they are doing something I won't touch (i.e. hand stand push-ups). At the same time, some things I push myself on and they watch me and cringe. I know my body and am personally accountable. As to things that are hard now....they will get easier. It took me almost 9 months to get double unders. Pull-ups take time to build strenght, and if you have weight to lose, you're at a disadvantage there because you have more to pull up. However, bands make scaling easy and help while you build strength. I used to be able to do 40 pul;-ups in a row. Yesterday I was struggling to get in sets of 10 with a band to help me. BTW....my wife couldn't understand for the first year why I refused to miss a daily CF class. She finally gave CF a shot after watching me for a year and she LOVES it. She's losing weight, getting in great shape (for the first time in 4 kids), and is a bigger CF fanatic than I am. Just be smart, know there will always be people better than you, and your only competition for as long as you want will be with yourself.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I take a beginner type class once a week. It's actually a friend who is an instructor that teaches a class on the side to her self conscious friends :)

I run regularly so the endurance type workouts I'm fairly adept with i.e. Jump rope, double unders, wall balls, box jumps, sprints... I can even climb the rope to the top! It's the weight lifting part that I'm weak with i.e. Deadlifts, weighted squats, clean and jerks, pull ups, etc.

I find the competition spirit fun, trying to beat the other girls.... my husband cringes because he's worried I'm going to injure myself.