Over 200 pounds lost and I can't figure out if I should stop or not. Very confused

Options
Griffsbrown
Griffsbrown Posts: 1 Member
edited January 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys, I'm new to these forums so please let me know if I break any rules or anything.
Stats: M/18, 6'2
Current weight: 200 pounds
(pictures at bottom)

Now before you reply or even open that photo you should probably know that I weighed around 450 pounds a year and half ago. I lost the weight naturally with an aggressive deficit. I didn't really ever lift weights, I just did cardio all the time. All be honest, I didn't really care that much about how I looked but at the end of the day I just wanted to look normal. Not a body builder, not even a toned guy, I literally just want to look normal. This is why I never lifted weights.

With the back story out of the way now it's time for the important part. I visited my a bariatric doctor because I realized I had no idea where to actually stop and I asked her where I should stop and she told me it wouldn't be a good idea to go under 200 pounds for my height. I explained how that still leaves me in the overweight bmi zone but she it's different because I have a lot of loose skin/I'm tall. She said without lifting weights the way I look now is the best I can expect to look.

(removed)

My question for you guys is, is that really true? Based on the stats/photos would losing weight really not help anymore? Is it really all just loose skin or could I improve my looks with some more weight loss? What do you guys think? My jawline especially still bothers me because it seems so round... I would seriously appreciate any help!

TL;DR: 6'2 200 pound guy here. Doctor told me to not lose weight anymore because it's not fat, but loose skin. I guess I just want a second opinion.

EDIT: so the general opinion is lifting weights would be a good idea lol. Is using the machines in the gym OK? because I really don't want to use free weights

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I agree with your doctor, try building some muscle.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your stunning weight loss.

I agree with your doctor. Start lifting weights. You can always revisit the idea of further weight loss down the line, but you need to give your body some TLC after spending so long at an aggressive deficit.
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I would also agree with your doctor.

But dude ... WELL DONE! You have lost a 6'2 person. The 6'2 person you kept look good! Im so proud of you.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Can't get the picture to load I'm afraid.

The loose skin could be significant here - at the weight you were, it could weigh quite a few pounds, making your scale weight a bit heavier than usual for someone of your height.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss is impressive, congrats! I would agree that lifting weights or doing a body weight program would be a good place to start. It will give your body and mind time to adjust to your weight loss and your skin may tighten up some along the way. If in a couple of months, you don't like the way you look, you can always consider losing some more.
  • MargaretLunan
    MargaretLunan Posts: 5,299 Member
    Options
    you lost alot of weight in a short time there is a operation to remove excess skin.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm inclined to agree with everyone. Looking at your arms, you look pretty lean if undermuscled. I don't think more weight loss will help with that.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the big loss. That took a lot of hard work on your part.

I'd agree that now is the time to stop losing weight and instead work on building muscle. You are going to have permanently stretched skin but I still wonder how much it will shrink given good nutrition. If it were me, I'd eat at maintenance while lifting weights AND I would get a plastic surgery consult, just to see what would be involved in having the skin removed. That way you can give your body time to recover a bit from the loss but can also start planning your next step.

Remember that even people with smaller losses than yours usually get to their goal weight and then have to work for a couple years or more on body composition (fat vs muscle) to get the look they want. Your situation is the same, just a bit more extreme due to your starting size.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I am no expert but I am a great believer in lifting heavy. Before my joint issues I lost 30 pounds and I used the machines at my gym due to a back problem. The difference in body composition is quite significant also it makes you feel so awesome.

You could start with the machines and see how you go you may find that it is a bit addictive and move on to free weights. People underestimate lifting as a contribution to changing your body shape even if you aren't losing weight.

It may come to it that you need surgery to deal with the lose skin but I would certainly give lifting a try first, then you will be able to see what needs to be done to improve further.

You are an inspiration to the rest of us. What an awesome achievement.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest listening to the doctor, and lifting to try to gain some muscle. If it were me, I'd give it a couple of years to see what my skin does before thinking surgery. It may fix itself over time, or it may not.

You did a good job, but I have to tell you, the picture kinda scares the hell out of me. I started at ~330, so not as heavy as you, but I'm hoping I don't end up with that look. No question you are far healthier than you were and congratulations on the change, but damn.

Please don't take it wrong, just a bit of an eye opener for me and I'm kinda processing it.

• tryasimighty
    tryasimighty Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have had this problem losing 10 stone over several years and have found the older I get and the more I lift (not silly- just pushing myself) has 'filled' my loose skin and my body looks better than ever, even if with looser skin than I would like. Why are you not wanting to do free weights? You will probably find you will get quicker results if you do. I would agree with others have a break from weight loss for 6 months or so, work on building muscle and then re-address how you look/ feel. Huge congratulations on your fantastic efforts so far! Inspirational!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why don't you want to use free weights?

Just FYI, replying instead of editing your post will make it easier for people to follow
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Congratulations on all your hard work. That was NOT easy. Normally, for someone who's lost only double-digit lbs, we'd say the "loose skin" is probably just some extra fat that needs to be lost, but with such a dramatic weight loss you probably do have some extra.

So I agree with your doctors and the others that it's time to build some muscle back. You necessarily will have lost a good deal of lean mass along with your fat, and you probably don't want to lose any more.

There's nothing wrong with using the machines, although you might want to switch to free weights at some point. The difference is that the machines tend to strictly isolate muscle groups, while free weights also exercise the muscles you need to stabilize your body as you lift, and they better simulate "functional" motion. As you get more comfortable in a gym environment you may get less anxious about using the free weights, so by all means start out in the machines if that's what will get you going.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to add except - WELL DONE!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    OP, if you are more comfortable with machines right now, there is a machine based program at this link. I would work toward getting to 3 sets on the exercises. At the same time, I'd see about getting a trainer to work with you so you can eventually add in free weights. That can be a longer term goal.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-4.html/
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you....I went from 376 to about 230 (then gained 100 back, but back on track now!).

I can tell you that you aren't going to be able to reset the loose skin by building muscle.
    Developing muscle will help you lose some of the fat that does remain, and will make any surgery you get to remove lose skin easier both surgery-wise and recovery-wise.

Most of the bariatric doctors are happy with getting their patients down to around 200. THe top end of my BMI is 145 pounds - so 200 would still be "technically" overweight.

I've watched skin removal shows and talked to a doctor who does that - and even had the belly removed once I'd lost 115 pounds. My plan is to lose enough to get to about 175 because it seems most people when they get to that point end up having about 20 pounds removed. That would put me within "much easier reach" of that BMI number. Meanwhile - I'm going to do what I can to get healthier physically too.

I would put on some muscle, and then talk to a doctor who does skin removal surgery about the process, and recovery time, etc. etc.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Amazing job.

But yes, you probably have 10-20 lbs of extra skin. But I also agree that it's very unlikely that you'll ever fill all that skin with muscle.