Need to lower cholesterol

Options
13»

Replies

• fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I applaud you for trying to lower your cholesterol first through lifestyle changes. I've read many articles on the pros and cons of statins and am also resistant to taking them as well.
    Not sure if it's been covered but I would cut out processed sugar and foods. Eliminating "white foods" could help lower the triglycerides and LDL numbers. Your HDL number is perfect! If you're working out, then keep it up. If not, then it's time to add cardio, yoga, and weight traini.
    Good quality fish oil and ground flaxseed added to your diet can help lower LDL. Adding in a small serving of nuts is great too. Be sure to eat lots of veggies as well.
    This might sound strange but I take a couple capsules of artichoke extract and resveratrol each day to help lower my LDL. Seems to work so far!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    fittocycle wrote: »
    I applaud you for trying to lower your cholesterol first through lifestyle changes. I've read many articles on the pros and cons of statins and am also resistant to taking them as well.
    Not sure if it's been covered but I would cut out processed sugar and foods. Eliminating "white foods" could help lower the triglycerides and LDL numbers. Your HDL number is perfect! If you're working out, then keep it up. If not, then it's time to add cardio, yoga, and weight traini.
    Good quality fish oil and ground flaxseed added to your diet can help lower LDL. Adding in a small serving of nuts is great too. Be sure to eat lots of veggies as well.
    This might sound strange but I take a couple capsules of artichoke extract and resveratrol each day to help lower my LDL. Seems to work so far!

I know this probably wasnt directed at me. but I have tried to lower mine through lifestyle changes and since its a hereditary(genetic) issue, that didnt work for me. I even cut out the processed foods,white foods,etc and still made NO impact even with exercise. fish oil didnt help either. but I do get a lot of flax,chia and hemp seed in my diet as well as a lot of fiber.I have done weight training and so on for the past 4 years(will be 5yrs in august).I have tried to lower it with and without statins. I have tried just about everything.

for me a low fat/high fiber diet and exercise,along with statins is what is working for me. I dont want to take them but I have to stick with what works.I take coQ10 too as statins rob your body of it,so I take them to replace some of it.It does help prevent a lot of the side effects that statins can cause.so far I have had no side effects. Im not saying that everyone needs to do what Im doing of course because what works for me may not work for another. But its worth trying without a statin and if you can bring it down then great. if not there are other meds besides statins that can lower cholesterol...I dont eat white foods,I try to make sure everything is whole grain(bread,spaghetti,etc).I also have to watch my processed and added sugars as my condition can lead to insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes.But so far my IR levels are normal.
  • KrisJ125
    KrisJ125 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It's a sad truth that your doctor probably won't give you the best dietary advice. I teach at a medical school and it is shocking how little med students learn about human nutrition to maintain health or to treat medical conditions/diseases. This is slowly changing, but it will take a while before adequate nutritional education is integrated into most medical school curricula in the US. Perhaps doctors gaining their MD in 5-10 years will be better prepared... We can only hope!
  • jen3frg22
    jen3frg22 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I lowered my chloresterol over the last 4 months by going plant based, no dairy, or meat. It worked and I feel great. If your looking for some literature on a plant bsed diet, I recommend reading The China Study by Colin Campbell and How Not to Die by Dr. Michael Greger. Take Care!