Eating healthier + basic workout = gaining inches??

Options
I've been eating pretty well these last 10 days or so, and doing the 30 day shred and 6 week six pack level 1's. I wasn't expecting much of a difference with the measurements but I didn't think I would gain some. I went up 1.5 in my waist? How does that even happen in ten days? Any suggestions to make the inches go down and not up?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    When you work out your ab muscles they have a tendency to get bigger. As long as you are counting calories accurately, you will be fine. Keep at it!
  • hazcad
    hazcad Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It could be several things, muscle mass, water or maybe you've not been eating as healthily as you think.
    Weight loss is always about calories in a calories out, many people don't realise all the little bits add up so take a really close look at what you're eating. People also forget that muscle take up room too, but in just 10 days my bet is either what you're eating or water.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Water retention due to new exercise routine or inaccurate measuring or a combo of both.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    hazcad wrote: »
    It could be several things, muscle mass, water or maybe you've not been eating as healthily as you think.
    Weight loss is always about calories in a calories out, many people don't realise all the little bits add up so take a really close look at what you're eating. People also forget that muscle take up room too, but in just 10 days my bet is either what you're eating or water.

Not muscle mass. Water probably. Not going to gain a significant amount of muscle in 10 days
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    When you work out your ab muscles they have a tendency to get bigger. As long as you are counting calories accurately, you will be fine. Keep at it!

Not in 10 days. It's probably just water retention, bloating, or increased food volume. 10 days is really not enough time to see any significant changes in measurements.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you measured correctly, in exactly the same place, same tension and so on?

I'm going with water. My waist got smaller from working out. Smaller by comparison to last time at this weight, I mean. JME.
  • Konpeito3
    Konpeito3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options

This is actually very encouraging to hear, thank you. I will keep at it!
    It was a little depressing seeing the increase, but maybe you're right it might just be the abs getting stronger (at least I hope!).
  • Konpeito3
    Konpeito3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Not in 10 days. It's probably just water retention, bloating, or increased food volume. 10 days is really not enough time to see any significant changes in measurements.

I see, well then I hope it is water weight then. I knew the measurements would be pretty much the same in ten days, I was just hoping that I would loose a tiny bit instead of gain it unexpectately. I will keep at it anyway. How long does it take before you see changes?
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Otherwise, I'll second (or third or fourth or whatever) that it's most likely water retention from the new exercise program.
    How long generally would one expect it to last? Once the DOMS goes away, should one still assume it's water retention or would they be lying to themselves? I also gained a few last month after I added resistance training. I was previously doing mostly cardio.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Nobody has addressed this question yet: You say you've been "eating pretty well", but are you in a calorie deficit? Are you measuring and logging your food? One can eat "well" or "healthy" and still gain weight if they're eating more calories than they're burning.

Otherwise, I'll second (or third or fourth or whatever) that it's most likely water retention from the new exercise program.

All of this.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options

How long generally would one expect it to last? Once the DOMS goes away, should one still assume it's water retention or would they be lying to themselves? I also gained a few last month after I added resistance training. I was previously doing mostly cardio.

Weight loss is rarely linear, especially when it comes to females. I can easily gain and lose five pounds within a week due to an annoying amount of external factors. What you want to look for is a general downward trend. I personally like to weigh every day, but average my weight for a week. Honestly if you're gaining weight after a month, chances are it's not just water weight. It's quite difficult for women to put on muscle mass without actively trying. Women (when in a caloric surplus and on a progressive lifting program), can really only gain about a pound of muscle in a month.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Weight loss is rarely linear, especially when it comes to females. I can easily gain and lose five pounds within a week due to an annoying amount of external factors. What you want to look for is a general downward trend. I personally like to weigh every day, but average my weight for a week. Honestly if you're gaining weight after a month, chances are it's not just water weight. It's quite difficult for women to put on muscle mass without actively trying. Women (when in a caloric surplus and on a progressive lifting program), can really only gain about a pound of muscle in a month.

Yeah, I know it's not muscle, nor was it my cycle. Also, I wasn't even trying to lose, I've been in maintenance and was eating about the same and just wanted to start resistance training. I was just wondering if someone knows if it can still be water retention if the initial DOMS has already subsided.