Supplements for fat reduction?

Options
Do any of you take any supplements before a workout for reducing fat? Are they really effective. I have never taken any supplements before.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If they worked there would be no fat people....

Stick with a calorie deficit, that works!
  • utkarsh_rai
    utkarsh_rai Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Oh, no no. Something that helps fat metabolism, or any combination that body's just metabolism. I really don't understand how to decide which supplements to take.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Oh, no no. Something that helps fat metabolism, or any combination that body's just metabolism. I really don't understand how to decide which supplements to take.

Nope....
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

No.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    @utkarshrai98 don't decide, don't take them they will not help.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Don't bother with supplements. They're all caffeine, laxatives and diuretics.

Use MyFitnessPal to set a calorie goal and start tweaking your diet to stick to the goal. Add physical activity if you can (doesn't have to be hard core. Walking is good enough to get going).

Eta: Nevermind what you heard about metabolism. You can't improve a good metabolism with supplements, and chances are slim to none that there is anything wrong with yours. If there is, you need medical diagnosis and treatment.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    And if you need something before you work out, have a coffee or a redbull
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Reducing body fat is as simple as consuming less calories than you burn. Supplements don't work and are therefore not necessary. Save your money. Instead, go through MFP's guided setup, follow the recommendations the app gives you, weigh and log all your food accurately, eat back about 50-70% of the calories you earn through exercise, and you'll lose weight.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I tried taking supplements for fat reduction - green tea extract, raspberry keytones, garcinia cambogia, etc.

The only thing it did was freak out my liver. My liver enzymes went WAY out of whack. I went off of them, and the numbers went right back down to normal.

Like others have said - if they worked, then everybody would be taking them and there'd be no fat people.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    The one thing you need to know about fat burner supplements: If it works, it's not legal; if it's legal, it doesn't work.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Some BCAA concoctions have ingredients that are supposed to help with fat burning. The only thing I've noticed personally is mildly diminished muscle soreness though.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Not for reducing fat, which can only be done by a calorie deficit.
    (Don't waste your money.)
    But I usually take a multivitamin as insurance, 'cause sometimes I don't eat as well as I should.
    And I take vitamin D & calcium as prevention against weak bones.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    There are no supplements that increase your rate of fat-burning. A thermogenic supplement that suggests it does this will only do so because it contains caffeine, which creates a small metabolic increase.

Save a fortune and get some generic caffeine pills if you really want. But it's only a slight metabolic advantage.