What am I doing wrong here? (Getting abs to show)

Options
Okay, I'm pretty lean, a cardiovascular junkie. I'm 116 pounds and don't carry weight in my stomach area any more than anywhere else (24 inch waist). I've been incorporating strength and resistance training over the past three months into my workout routine, at least 3 days a week (abs, arms, legs). My arms and legs I can see a difference but my abs, nothing. I'm doing v-ups, planks, Russian twists, woodchops, etc. Help! I don't feel like I need to lose more weight to "uncover" any abs but an workouts don't seem to be getting me anywhere. Usually I gain muscle fairly quickly so I'm stumped.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You don't have enough muscle.
  • _emma_78
    _emma_78 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

So just hang in there doing what I'm doing for longer or...?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    What's your protein intake like? And calorie intake?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Are you following an established progressive overload program or did you just make it up yourself as there are more bodyparts than arms, legs and abs
  • _emma_78
    Options
    Are you following an established progressive overload program or did you just make it up yourself as there are more bodyparts than arms, legs and abs

The latter! :/
  • _emma_78
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    What's your protein intake like? And calorie intake?

I eat between 1700 to 2200 depending if I work that day or not (active job). I aim for 80 to 100g of protein but have fallen off the band wagon since last week. Back on it though! :)
  • triandtry
    triandtry Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi @_Emma_78 ...I'm in a similar spot; and I like the concept that low fat and more muscle makes the abs show...but I can only speak from conjecture, I'm not there yet either :neutral: Interested to see if any robust advice comes through on this thread :)
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Are you using weights when you do V-ups, Russian Twists, etc? If you want to build Abs you need to work them like any other muscle-progressive overload working in the "hypertrophy" rep range (approx. 8-15 reps)

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    _emma_78 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »

So just hang in there doing what I'm doing for longer or...?

Bulk or do a recomp for 3-6-12 months then cut the fat. You'll have abs after that. So just arms and legs? What about shoulders, back, and chest?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Abs aren't easy to obtain for the vast majority of people, otherwise millions more would have them. Follow a better strength program and be patient. You're a prime candidate for a recomp.
  • darkenergie
    darkenergie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Abs are a combo of leanness and developed muscle mass in that area. Like PP mentioned, it may be that you don't have enough muscle development hence why they aren't popping if you are lean enough. Try to go on a bulk and work on WEIGHTED ab exercises / compound moves that require you to use your core(like barbell squats). I do very little ab specific work; my compounds along with diet have pretty much taken care of them for me.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i don't have (or want) the full six-pack thing, but i do have that three-column look - basically i guess definition between obliques and tva. six pack kind of grosses me out, but that's me.

for what it's worth front squats probably did more to bring my abs up than anything else i've done in two and a half years of compound lifting.
  • trudie_b
    trudie_b Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I read an article by a personal trainer who had become obsessed with getting a six pack - she got down to 15% body fat and was doing hours of exercise a day, including 1000 crunches, she lost her period and was permanently exhausted, and still didn't have a six pack. She came to the conclusion that some people just aren't genetically designed to have one, and gave up trying. Now her body fat is about 20% and she looks in phenomenal shape. What she said made a lot of sense.
  • MrsCoby78
    MrsCoby78 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    six pack kind of grosses me out, but that's me.

I thought I was the only one!!!
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Abs is the last place to show. In time you will.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Abs is the last place to show. In time you will.

not for everyone,everyone is different. it depends on where you lose fat first.I have less fat on my stomach than I do on my hips,butt and thighs, some definition in my abs if I flex and bend over you can see the 6 pack lines lol but I dont think I could lose much more fat in that area.
  • daprospecta
    daprospecta Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that while you may be small, your bodyfat% may be higher than you think. I'm 6'4 265 lbs and you can clearly see my abs. Think Terry Crews but add about 5-6% bf. They aren't as defined as TC but you get the point. It's not about your weight, it's about your bf%.