How to cut junk food?

Options
laburto
laburto Posts: 43 Member
edited January 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I am trying to cut out junk food such as chocolate, icecream, fast food, etc. What is one way to start this without craving it, and has anyone lost any weight by doing this? I have been working out and I have lost 40lbs so far but I would like to lose about 20-30 lbs more. I think I am plateau right now. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    One thing that helps me is to make my meals as satisfying as possible. I'm less likely to go for sweets if I'm full from a tasty meal.

About fast food, just make what you want at home, where you have full control and will use less fat/sodium/condiments (and it's just as tasty IMO).
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Overly restricting foods for SOME people cause them to binge on them later. Figure out if you are the type that can moderate or if you have to restrict.

I no longer buy foods I tend to overeat on like chips, cookies & chocolate for the house in large bags. I buy the single serving (not a box of single servings). This has helped me be able to have occasions potato chips with a sandwich or a small packet of hershey's kisses that I can have a few (if I end up eating the whole bag its 220 calories).

Hope this helps!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    You've lost weight, so you know what you're doing. Easiest for me is to substitute lower calories alternatives like PB2 for peanut butter, yogurt for ice cream or red peppers and hummus for chips.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    laburto wrote: »
    has anyone lost any weight by doing this?

Anyone who cut calories by doing so would have lost weight, presumably.

To figure out how to do it, I think you have to figure out when and why you eat those foods and have a good reason to rely on for why you are doing it. I find that if I have a reason I believe in for doing something it's not that hard, and if I don't it's hard to stick to.

As for "cravings," I find that I tend to think about foods when I normally eat. This meant that I was able to cut back easily by sticking to 3 main meals (my preference) per day and just being strong during the first week or so when I still wanted to eat at other times (sometimes I'd have raw veg between meals to make it easier). Once I adjusted to my new habits it wasn't too hard.

The first time I did this I also cut out added sugar, and didn't find it too hard (but also not especially useful for me), and after that I mostly kept what I call "extras" (sweets or maybe some good cheese or the like) for an after dinner dessert when I had calories (which is usually).

I don't find a hard and fast "never this" rule works for me for anything, although there are foods that rarely fit in my plan and I rarely am interested in eating, but of course you may be different. For MOST people (not necessarily you) I think there's this reaction to "I eat too much X" that becomes "I will never eat X" when if you really like X that's hard and it might be worth trying to fit in X occasionally in a more limited way.

For example, I am not that restrained with Indian food but rather than cut it out I have it much more rarely (maybe once a month or less) and usually pair it with a big workout.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat it ... don't buy it.

And eat a well-rounded diet which includes carbohydrates, protein, fat, vitamins & minerals so that your body doesn't crave things it feels it might be missing. Also, keep hydrated.

For example, I used to crave potato chips almost desperately. Turns out, I needed the salt ... my diet is quite low in salt. I started salting my dinners and eating salted cucumbers as a snack and the craving for potato chips went away. I actually find potato chips too salty now.

Instead of fast food ... eat something that is actually good. If you start going to places which serve good hamburgers, or making your own, that urge for some greasy mystery meat goes away.

As for chocolate and ice cream ... I still eat those, but in moderation.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    Also, this works for some people ...

Every time you think about buying whatever you've deemed to be "junk food", take the money you would have spent on it, and put it into a jar (or box or envelope or whatever).

Every 2 or 3 months, count it up and get yourself something ... new gym wear, jewellery, tickets to the theatre, or whatever. If you save that money over a year, you might even be able to go on a short trip somewhere. :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    This is what I did:

From January until June 2014, I allowed myself one serving of bread/pasta/grains and one sweet treat (cake, pie, ice cream, candy, etc.) per week. I had very bad impulse control around those two types of food in that I ate huge quantities when I had them. I ate them as if it was the last time in my life I'd ever have the opportunity to eat them. By limiting them to once per week, I learned to stop and think "this is not the last time I'll ever have the chance to eat this food, in fact I can have some on Sunday if I want to." I also learned to be much more judicious in determining which foods were worth spending calories on. Some foods taste okay but not actually all that great and yet I'd eat a lot of them if there wasn't a "cost" to them.

I still try to keep desserts down to once a week but I have upped my grain consumption so that I regularly have toast or oatmeal or pasta in reasonable quantities.
  • laburto
    Options
    maxit wrote: »
    If you have determined that the best way for you is to cut out foods (you'll get encouragement on this forum to eat what you want within your calorie limit) and you expect that you will have cravings, then my suggestion is to practice "urge surfing." If you search on the net you'll find a lot of sites with info - this is one among many: http://portlandpsychotherapyclinic.com/2011/11/riding-wave-using-mindfulness-help-cope-urges/ This strategy is one that is part of a "best practice" treatment approach to problematic substance use. But a craving is a craving -

If the problem is not junk food, per se, but stalling weight loss, then it might be more helpful to return to basics. Measure everything you eat using a scale for solid food and a liquid measure for what you drink. Track rigorously for a week or two, and then decide where you want to shave a couple of hundred calories off each day.

Thank you, i will take a look at the link!
  • laburto
    Options
    lady_ghost wrote: »
    Nike said just do it.

Fo sho!
  • laburto
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Cutting it means NOT HAVING IT AT ALL. If you intend to live this way the rest of your life, then do it cold turkey. If not, then you learn how to moderate it in your life. Start by only eating small portions. For example only eat half a cheeseburger or a small burger, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Thanks for the advice!
  • laburto
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    One thing that helps me is to make my meals as satisfying as possible. I'm less likely to go for sweets if I'm full from a tasty meal.

About fast food, just make what you want at home, where you have full control and will use less fat/sodium/condiments (and it's just as tasty IMO).

Yeah you're right! Fast food is soo hard to give up, I will try! Thanks!
  • laburto
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I tired the moderation thing and only having a little bit. But I eventually realized if it was in the house, I ate until it was gone. So I stopped buying it. After a short time I don't miss it or crave it. If I feel like having ice cream I'll go out to the ice cream stand up the road. I may have went 4-5 times all summer? If that. I'm not one of those people who feels I'm entitled to a dessert or treat on a daily basis.

Yeah I agree..gotta get rid of junk food in the house! Ooh wow do that's awesome that you don't crave it! Way to go!
  • laburto
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    This is what I did:

From January until June 2014, I allowed myself one serving of bread/pasta/grains and one sweet treat (cake, pie, ice cream, candy, etc.) per week. I had very bad impulse control around those two types of food in that I ate huge quantities when I had them. I ate them as if it was the last time in my life I'd ever have the opportunity to eat them. By limiting them to once per week, I learned to stop and think "this is not the last time I'll ever have the chance to eat this food, in fact I can have some on Sunday if I want to." I also learned to be much more judicious in determining which foods were worth spending calories on. Some foods taste okay but not actually all that great and yet I'd eat a lot of them if there wasn't a "cost" to them.

I still try to keep desserts down to once a week but I have upped my grain consumption so that I regularly have toast or oatmeal or pasta in reasonable quantities.

I will definitely try to see if I can do that. Guess once a week won't be too bad! Thanks!
  • laburto
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I tired the moderation thing and only having a little bit. But I eventually realized if it was in the house, I ate until it was gone. So I stopped buying it. After a short time I don't miss it or crave it. If I feel like having ice cream I'll go out to the ice cream stand up the road. I may have went 4-5 times all summer? If that. I'm not one of those people who feels I'm entitled to a dessert or treat on a daily basis.

Ooh wow icecream is hard too. Gotta get rid of junk food in the house!
  • laburto
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Also, this works for some people ...

Every time you think about buying whatever you've deemed to be "junk food", take the money you would have spent on it, and put it into a jar (or box or envelope or whatever).

Every 2 or 3 months, count it up and get yourself something ... new gym wear, jewellery, tickets to the theatre, or whatever. If you save that money over a year, you might even be able to go on a short trip somewhere. :)

Definitely you're right! Thanks!