8:16 eating/fasting plan

Options
Hermie123451982
Hermie123451982 Posts: 190 Member
edited January 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Anyone doing this. Seems pretty basic way of following intermittent fasting.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's an eating style, not a 'diet'
  • Hermie123451982
    Options
    Thanks have edited the title. Have you got any input?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks have edited the title. Have you got any input?

It didn't work for me, I like breakfast. But it works for a few of my pals.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I eat 20:4, 21:3 depending on the day
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    It worked well for me before I even knew it had a name. After I started consciously following IF, I worked into more of a 20:4 pattern which works well for me with a 24 hours fast one day per week. For social or business occasions, I'll often drop back to my 16:8 schedule.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Works for lots of people. I prefer eating 3 meals currently, but if you like eating in a window and it helps you control calories I think it's great.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I eat IF style and have for years now. I don't like eating when I wake up and prefer to exercise fasted. I also sleep better without unsettled, just eaten food in my stomach. I usually follow anywhere between 16/8 and 19/5 even though 14/10 is recommended for women. I haven't had issues.
  • Hermie123451982
    Options
    Ah thank you for all taking the time to comment on my post. I think it will fit in well for me as I don't like eating breakfast and with my shift patterns it will help me stop eating late at night after work. With regards to the 20/4 or 21/3 do you still manage to get all your daily cals in over a 3 or 4 hour window.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I tried it at maintenance but didn't like the feeling of having rules/being restricted. But would say that eating or not eating breakfast doesn't seem to affect how hungry I am by lunchtime. I do enjoy "breakfast foods" as well which influenced me.
    However, I do find skipping breakfast a relatively painless way to nibble off a few pounds if I want or need to.

Worth investing the time in experimenting, you may lose some weight and/or gain some knowledge about how different eating patterns affect you.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Ah thank you for all taking the time to comment on my post. I think it will fit in well for me as I don't like eating breakfast and with my shift patterns it will help me stop eating late at night after work. With regards to the 20/4 or 21/3 do you still manage to get all your daily cals in over a 3 or 4 hour window.

I get my cals and macros in quite easily, but I eat about 1500/day right now. The only time I don't are the days of my 24 hour fast where I eat 500-600 calories before noon one day and fast until noon the next day when I eat 700 calories. Your ability to contain your calories to one meal or a shorter time frame may depend some on how many you are allotted. I'm not sure I could get too many more into one meal without feeling sick or having a Big Mac (which I occasionally indulge in).
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Binge eating is not healthy, from a biological or mental perspective.
    Nor does it mean people are eating less.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23244741
    Double trouble: restrained eaters do not eat less and feel worse
    "high levels of dietary restraint do not appear to reflect actual caloric restraint, it has been found to be a risk factor for a wide array of maladaptive eating patterns. ... restrained eaters do not eat less than they intend to do"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18325547
    "We examine the comfort food preferences and consumption patterns of women with highly versus less developed schemas for cognitive restraint, emotional and situational eating ... complex eating schemas weaken biological signals and produce maladaptive patterns... High schematics reported a lesser post-consumption increase in fullness than low schematics. Low schematics favoured low and high calorie foods equally, their choice motivated by pleasure and positive emotions."
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I average 1250 calories a day so IF helps me. I'm a volume eater so I have 2 larger meals with snacks instead of 3 smaller.

Having a cut off time at night also seemed to help with the late night snacking but I don't know if thats due to IF or me just being mindful.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I tried it last year and struggled hard with not eating breakfast, and then I struggled with portion control after that. I was successful as more of a grazer, eating many light small meals/snacks every few hours. But when I tried having a smaller window to eat more calories I acclimated very quickly to larger portions and that was a difficult habit to break when I tried to go back to many small meals vs fewer larger meals.

It didn't work for me but there are many reports around here and elsewhere that it works well for others. I just disliked the feeling that I couldn't just eat a small 100 cal snack without my appetite feeling that my little snack was setting into motion the start of a 1000 calorie feast. Ymmv.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I love it. Fits my physiology perfectly. Eating breakfast made me ravenous all morning until lunch. Not eating until lunch time or later I don't really even feel hunger at all. Then I can eat 2 nice big satisfying meals.
  • Hermie123451982
    Options
    Day 1 today fasted since 8pm last night so eating window will 12-8 which will work. Eat with my shift patterns. Going for 1500 cals in those 8 hours. Thanks for all your comments. So interesting to read ptger people's experiences.
  • Letshopeforthebest
    Letshopeforthebest Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have always been a breakfast person my entire life. Once I was introduced to IF and Kinobody I made a huge decision to cut breakfast cold turkey. It has only been two in a half weeks but I can picture myself doing this for a long time. I was so intimidated cutting out breakfast but It's so easy and I get full 10X as fast eating less than I did when I wasn't on IF. I feel great, but the most important part is to eat a balanced diet during your eating window and not take it as an opportunity to binge. I'm 137 pound female and I hope to lose 20 pounds with this way of eating and portion control in the next six months.
  • Hermie123451982
    Options
    Day one done and feel fine. Fasted for 16 hour with only water to drink then had just over 1000 cals in my 8 hour window and feeling fine. Will up cals to 1500 tomorrow but today I just wasn't hungry.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I found myself doing this frequently but not purposefully. So I have adapted to it well I just finished my first meal of the day at 1 pm and hope to be sleeping by 9 pm. I don't even think about wanting food before noon. PT's and other weight loss experts have tried to persuade me that this is not a good way to eat at a deficit but it works for me. IMHO it is just a preference not a science.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options