Anybody else jump kicking diet w/ cabbage soup?

Options

Replies

• Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Lots of veggies is a good idea! Very filling and satisfying, along with plenty of protein, healthy fats, some complex carbs.
    If you aim for good macro proportions and fiber intake, you will be on the right track with your next meal!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    No... but here's a recipe to a cabbage soup a user posted a while back that I loved. :smile:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Lol

I don't think anyone else is doing the cabbage soup diet.
  • lilolilo920
    lilolilo920 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    That sounds downright painful OP.
    I promise, your body does not need any sort of "cleansing"-believe it or not, your liver and kidneys do it all for you! Pretty amazing if you ask me.
    If you're looking to lose weight, all you need is a reasonable caloric deficit. You can eat whatever you want as long as you stick to the appropriate calorie count!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,021 Member
    Options
    Can't stand cabbage so no idea why I would want it in a soup.....

I like raw cabbage ... I like cabbage wrapped around rice and mince in a cabbage roll ... but that's about it. I don't like it in soup.

• Machka9
    Options
    NOT doing the cabbage soup diet ....

But I am trying my hand at making soup for the very first time. If it works, it will be a creamy cauliflower soup. :)

Why? Because I really like cauliflower soup when I've had it in restaurants, etc. but have never found a tin or package or whatever in the supermarket that does it justice. So I thought I'd make my own.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    The stench of cooked cabbage would certainly encourage me to get out of the house as much as possible greatly increasing my activity level. Besides that I'm not sure how cabbage soup would jump start my diet. Maybe if I had some methane powered appliances I could jump start those.
    In all seriousness, if you like cabbage soup there's nothing wrong with eating it for a few days. You might want to check that it has enough fats, protein, and calories. If not adjust the recipe a bit. I find adding a little salted pork, pancetta, leftover ham or chicken to soups adds lots of flavor and a little extra protein and fat. It's not unusual for me to eat the same pot of soup once of twice a day for a week. If cabbage soup is not your favorite food eating less of the foods you love is just as good of a way to start.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I'd be jump-kicking some friends and loved ones out of frustration if I went on a cabbage soup diet.
  • Charlene_1985
    Charlene_1985 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I just googled the diet. I would most definitely die eating what is says to eat. Not a big veggie fan, I don't like cabbage, that much beef would make me vomit. So I could eat fruit and the one weekly baked potato but I don't like baked potatoes. Only mashed. So I could have the butter, the fruit, and the water. But apparently not on the same day. I would most definitely die.
  • tifsimmons91
    tifsimmons91 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everybody's input. I personally love cabbage soup especially when I can't go #2 regularly it really helps.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    NOT doing the cabbage soup diet ....

But I am trying my hand at making soup for the very first time. If it works, it will be a creamy cauliflower soup. :)

Why? Because I really like cauliflower soup when I've had it in restaurants, etc. but have never found a tin or package or whatever in the supermarket that does it justice. So I thought I'd make my own.

If your recipe doesn't work out, try this one from America's Test Kitchen. It's very tasty.
    https://www.kcet.org/food/weekend-recipe-cauliflower-soup

Thanks! :)

• Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everybody's input. I personally love cabbage soup especially when I can't go #2 regularly it really helps.

Do you track your fiber? I suggest it, see how much fiber you normally eat, then increase it very slowly (3-5g/day) until you get to 35g or more per day. This will really make your digestion/elimination much better. I use chia/flax in addition to veggies to get the fiber intake.
  • leannalonsdale
    leannalonsdale Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it right now to kick start my 2017 lifestyle change too - although I am hesitant about Day 4 (tomorrow) which is Banana and skim milk day... Personally I find the diet good, not great - not sustainable for long term. Have not weighed myself yet and will not until the end of the week. I am also working out, so I find myself extremely exhausted at the end of each day. Interested in your results!!!

To me, there doesn't seem to be a huge issue with a mix of fruits and veggies with the soup. I've been somewhat cheating on fruit day though - because I am not huge into fruits - and taking the vegetable ingredients that are in the actual cabbage soup and baking them and eating them when I get hungry. EG, roasting celery, tomatoes, peppers, etc. I find that has helped with the "no" mentality of "no vegetables this day". You're already eating it in your soup, so why not indulge in some carrots or tomato on fruit day...

It's the no protein that is really devastating to me in the first half of the diet but I also know that there are many vegetarians out there who can get their protein elsewhere, but this diet is not designed for nutrients - it's high fiber low fat designed for short term weight loss. All of these posts are right, it's not a solution for a long term weight loss but if you can maintain your tracking and watch your macro's, slowly introducing proteins & simple carbs into your diet, I would say this is a good choice! That being said, I am not a doctor so this is just my personal experience.

Hope your journey goes well!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I love cabbage soup!

The diet is a gimmick, though.

And I make my cabbage soup with smoked sausage in it, soooo....
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it right now to kick start my 2017 lifestyle change too - although I am hesitant about Day 4 (tomorrow) which is Banana and skim milk day... Personally I find the diet good, not great - not sustainable for long term. Have not weighed myself yet and will not until the end of the week. I am also working out, so I find myself extremely exhausted at the end of each day. Interested in your results!!!

To me, there doesn't seem to be a huge issue with a mix of fruits and veggies with the soup. I've been somewhat cheating on fruit day though - because I am not huge into fruits - and taking the vegetable ingredients that are in the actual cabbage soup and baking them and eating them when I get hungry. EG, roasting celery, tomatoes, peppers, etc. I find that has helped with the "no" mentality of "no vegetables this day". You're already eating it in your soup, so why not indulge in some carrots or tomato on fruit day...

It's the no protein that is really devastating to me in the first half of the diet but I also know that there are many vegetarians out there who can get their protein elsewhere, but this diet is not designed for nutrients - it's high fiber low fat designed for short term weight loss. All of these posts are right, it's not a solution for a long term weight loss but if you can maintain your tracking and watch your macro's, slowly introducing proteins & simple carbs into your diet, I would say this is a good choice! That being said, I am not a doctor so this is just my personal experience.

But vegetarians aren't trying to meet their protein needs with bananas and milk only. They're eating things like beans and tofu and seitan and tempeh and (for lacto-ovos) eggs and yogurts.

Adopting a diet that is way below your body's minimum needs for protein because vegetarians don't eat meat doesn't make sense. They're replacing meat with other sources of protein.

• carolinamamasita
    carolinamamasita Posts: 21 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I do this off and on, when I hit a plateau and then I get right back into my low carb once again
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Love cabbage.
    Wife and I tried it years ago and no way no how. Smelled so nasty and tasted the same.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    No.

I did cook some up today for next week's lunches and breakfastes and plan on using some for a Korean street toast recipe a user posted
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

You're doing fine - tomatoes are a fruit (ref. Attack of the Killer Tomatoes) :-)
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    The first and only diet I've ever tried in my life was the Cabbage Soup Diet about 15 years ago. It worked...at convincing me that cabbage is one of the worst foods God put on this planet and to never diet again :s Like all diets it's just a gimmick to eat less. There are thousand and thousands of variations and combinations of food that will get you to the same calorie deficit a cabbage soup diet will and they'll taste better and be more sustainable. Variety is essential to success IMO, and you don't get with any diet that revolves around a single food.