Belt Squat Machine

Options
Anyone have experience with a belt squat machine like this?6rsgcm4l4hry.jpg

One of the gyms I belong to just got one and was in the process of setting it up. I saw this or something similar in a video at West Side Barbell so thinking it must be pretty legit. I have shoulder mobility issues and can't hold a barbell on my back so this has me intrigued.

Louie Simmons talking about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxA-DhwGXqo

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    LOL What will they think of next?

Looks more like a DL than SQT machine to me but not sure why you'd need it if you can do regular DLs and SQTs.
  • meredithdelcastillo
    Options
    I wish my gym had this!!! Just another way to activate the glutes, it should work well for you if you problems with your shoulders. I just wouldn't go too heavy until you get your form down
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything resembling a deadlift, I'm not sure what sgt is seeing.

I think that's pretty awesome, actually.
  • sgt1372
    Options

The wide stance that the woman is using at the start of the video just looked like a sumo DL position to me.

Not sure how the machine really helps and it's not something I'd use, but if you've got one at your gym and you like it, use it and let us know if it's actually useful or not and, if so, in what way. Thanks. :)

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Not sure how the machine really helps

Seems like it would be useful if you have an issue with placing the bar on your shoulders or holding it -- shoulder issue, like OP said, spine issue, wrist problem that ends up being a limiter.

I've never seen it, but I can imagine it being helpful to a number of people.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

The wide stance that the woman is using at the start of the video just looked like a sumo DL position to me.

Not sure how the machine really helps and it's not something I'd use, but if you've got one at your gym and you like it, use it and let us know if it's actually useful or not and, if so, in what way. Thanks. :)

It looked like a sumo squat to me. Which is one of the ways I prefer to squat since I have long femurs.

The difference between squats and deadlifts lies, among other things in the hips. Watch them. She's sitting back and driving straight up and down. In a deadlift, she'd be hinging at her hip.

Stance has nothing to do with the difference between the two lifts. You can squat and deadlift sumo.
  • sgt1372
    Options
    It looked like a sumo squat to me.

Just a difference of opinion that's not worth quibbling over to me.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    yeah i've used that kinda machine, but i train westside, so yeah. we use it as an accessory . although the one i use just attaches to my own weight belt, and it hurts like heck and try doing stepups or just march in place after you are already exhausted from heavy squats and or deads.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Appreciate the thoughts. The employees putting it together we off for the holiday weekend and I'm going to be out of town for a few days. Looking forward to trying it when I get back.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    LOL What will they think of next?

Looks more like a DL than SQT machine to me but not sure why you'd need it if you can do regular DLs and SQTs.

lolol the man you are calling "they" is Louis Simmons and i can't wait to see what he thinks of next. And if you look at the stats of some of the people he trains, you may get an idea why he uses different types of things like this in addition to regular DL's and squats.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Looks pretty useful actually
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    same thing? most of the session is just aita showing bell how he squats, but the last 5 minutes or so seems to be the same kind of machine.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I think I wish we had one of those at my gym.

It seems like it would be great - for me - for volume squats. I don't have the flexibility to hold a barbell in rack position for front squats and the safety bar just kills me - collapse at the bottom, due to how it loads and difficulty keeping the upper back tight - so this would work well to help give my shoulders a rest.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    It looks brilliant to me. I wish my gym had one.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I think I wish we had one of those at my gym.

It seems like it would be great - for me - for volume squats. I don't have the flexibility to hold a barbell in rack position for front squats and the safety bar just kills me - collapse at the bottom, due to how it loads and difficulty keeping the upper back tight - so this would work well to help give my shoulders a rest.

i'm curious now whether you could do the same kind of thing with a regular cable tower. so long as you set the pulley down near the ground, would the mechanics be substantially different?

maybe one of the people who already use one of these things would know.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    A machine that lets me get more squat volume without excessively taxing my back? I'll take two!