Help please

Options
I start a diet but i quit cuz sugar is like my drug how can i control that?

Replies

• moni032000
    moni032000 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on that. I can eat Mike and Ike big box in one sitting. Lol!! I would suggest following a plan that allows you to incorporate treats once in a while.
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You control that slowly at first. Start by logging honestly and see just what you need to change. You can not change everything in 1 day, or you will go mad, so log and make small steps. This is a marathon not a sprint. If you eat 5 chocolate bars a day usually then today only eat 4. Tomorrow go for a walk and only eat 3. You just need to keep making better choices most of the time.
  • schwelley
    schwelley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I find I crave sugar for about 4 days, then it gets better. Stay strong! I use small squares of dark chocolate to help me out in moments of weakness.
  • SarahMacphail1
    SarahMacphail1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I make sure to leave myself enough calories for a chocolate bar or piece of cake or whatever. I find the longer I stick to eating well the less I want the sweet stuff anyway so it works well for me, I'll go from having them once a day to having them very occasionally. I don't intend to live the rest of my life never ever having those things so doesn't make sense to me to cut them out completely, better to factor them into my diet.
  • raheelali2015
    raheelali2015 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should read into what sugar does and the effects of Insulin etc... Its pretty Bizarre.

Best to Supplement sugar with Sweeteners !!!!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I start a diet but i quit cuz sugar is like my drug how can i control that?
    Sugar isn't a drug, it's a simple carbohydrate, and a source of energy.
    There is naturally occurring sugar in lots of foods. Fruit contain quite a lot, even vegetables and dairy has sugar.
    Sweet taste means that the food is energy dense, and it's important for survival to eat enough, so our brains rewards us for eating sweet foods.
    In nature, sweet foods are rare, but not in our modern environment, so we have to be careful so we don't eat too much.
    Sugar used to be expensive, but now it's cheap.
    Added sugar makes certain foods taste better. But because it's cheap, it's added to lots of things. When we eat lots of sweet food, we think that taste is normal and expect food to taste sweet, and we get annoyed when it doesn't.
    Taste is individual, but also depending on habits and environment. Habits can change when we change our environment.
    Anything can be eaten in moderation.
    Some foods are easier and some more difficult to moderate, and this is individual.
    Don't go on a diet. Eat food you like and hit your calorie goal.
  • crumbliss2010
    crumbliss2010 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    When you diet you can't cut out everything. That's how you give in more than you succeed. Have a treat every now and then. Just stay in the serving range and it'll help.
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    A massive tip would be not to try and cut anything out completely. If you tell yourself you can't have something you're likely to end up wanting it more! Plan your treats, for example if you love chocolate, let yourself have some every couple of weeks. Remember this is a lifestyle change and you've got to make it maintainable :smile:
  • nanpask
    nanpask Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It is very hard to stop that cycle but getting your attitude set on not eating things that you can't control. When I'm in a store I will not even look at the candy or bakery items because just the sight of them can cause me to overeat them
  • wowmanacat
    wowmanacat Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a "sweet tooth" and so every evening I have something sweet, some chocolates, cookies, pie, cake what every it is that we have for dessert at that time. I will have a serving or less. Last night I had 3 Oreos and 6 kisses and was still under my calorie count for the day. I make sure that I stay within my calories. I find that eating high protein for breakfast, lunch, and dinner I am fuller longer in the day so that I do not want to snack in the day. I will not give up the sweets so I make sure that I have the calorie count to have them at the end of the day.
    33579781.png
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Sugar is in a lot of things. What's your kryptonite?

Can you use a sugar substitute? I try to satisfy my sweet tooth with fruits. A little bit of chocolate candy is allowed from time to time, and if the chocolate is 86% cacao it doesn't count against my candy budget.