500 Calorie "Diet"

124»

Replies

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    I would be afraid that my body would go into 'starvation mode' and gain weight when I started eating normal again because it's not sure of when it will not get enough food again. Some Dr or another told me that when you restrict to much, your body freaks out and will try to store fat to protect itself against the future. I think I mangled that explanation, but it made sense to me when he told me.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2016
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    It sounds complicated, especially if your intake on "off" days is high and negating your 500 days on the regular.

This is why it's not for everyone. I zig-zag my calories (but not as low as 500) then I still log my maintenance days too. Before starting 5:2 (or Alternate Day Dieting) you should figure out how many calories "normal" is.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    I would be afraid that my body would go into 'starvation mode' and gain weight when I started eating normal again because it's not sure of when it will not get enough food again. Some Dr or another told me that when you restrict to much, your body freaks out and will try to store fat to protect itself against the future. I think I mangled that explanation, but it made sense to me when he told me.

Starvation mode is a myth for us who are of normal weight, over weight, or even a bit underweight. In order to be in starvation mode, you must be emaciated and lose a certain amount of fat and muscle.

That doctor is wrong.
  • baciodolce18
    baciodolce18 Posts: 113 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I've decided to try this starting today as well. I haven't been successful in getting the weight off, so I'm hoping trying something new will help me keep a consistent deficit. I'm naturally more and less hungry on different days so this does feel somewhat natural.

Today, I had cereal for breakfast and then I was busy picking someone up at the airport and then hanging out with them so by the time it was 9pm, I hadn't had anything else to eat so I told myself to just make this day 1 and I treated myself to a Starbucks iced tea to bring me to my 500 total.

My maintenance is about 2000 cals (depending on the calculator) so that's what I'm going to aim for on feast days. I only want to do 2 fast days (so, 5:2). That gives me just under a pound a week loss before exercise is added in. I expect I'll earn another 800-1000 calories a week in deficit from exercise once I finish my move and join a new gym this week. I'm looking to lose 70-80 pounds, but I'm fine with a 1-1.5 lb/week loss rate.

Just a comment for the bolded...if you haven't been successful doing a consistent deficit chances are you weren't in a deficit.

Doing ADF or IF won't help that....you need to log accurately and consistently and stay in goal regardless of what day you eat the calories...that probably will require you to get a food scale....I say this because you are apparently not in a consistent deficit.

I know I wasn't in a deficit. I didn't lose weight for 6 months. I was in a deficit some days but obviously not enough days. I weigh everything I eat inside my house. I log every day except for vacations and intentional breaks (it's mentally exhausting weighing and logging every day and not loosing). But some days I like to eat more and I guess I was wiping out my deficit.

I just want to try something new, ok? I've lost weight before, weighing and logging my food, and am absolutely mystified that 6 months of hard work has gotten me no where. So I'm just trying something new.

• steponebyone
    steponebyone Posts: 123 Member
    This sounds horrible.

Oops, I mean "I respectfully disagree."
  • 22weightloss22
    22weightloss22 Posts: 9 Member
    I plan to start this diet today, can anyone offer me any advice?
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member

I have some advice: don't.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

read all the other posts in this thread first....
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    This is a type of IF intermittent fasting. It works for some, for others with less self control it spirals into a binge and restrict cycle that is tough to break out of.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    When I first wanted to lose weight I followed what I know as the 5/2 diet, 5 days normal, 2 days 500 calories and it worked wonders for me in that it taught me discipline. After a couple of weeks I was never hungry on a down day and even now can miss a meal without feeling grouchy! Having lost the weight I needed I maintain by keeping in mind everything it taught me.... ask yourself am I really hungry, do I need this and you'll find the answer is no!
    Good luck!