Mid-Life Mom Who Wants To Find Her Hip Bones

Well, the title says it all. I'm overweight.....though not obese. I "should" lose 45 pounds in order to be at the all-too-focused-on perfect BMI. But, honestly, I would be gosh darned happy with simply having 20 less pounds to carry around. I'm about to have my 45th birthday and I am not unrealistic that, at my age, losing weight is harder. So, as said, the goal is 20 pounds.

Hopefully I'll meet some other mid-lifers who can relate to trying to lose with slowing metabolism, full-time work, a mortgage and teenagers to shuttle around.

Here's to a lighter 2017! :p

Replies

• Morglem
    Morglem Posts: 377 Member
    Hello, I'm 43 and I'm looking to lose between 30 and 40 lbs. I have a teenager and a 9 yo. Add me :) Lets do this!
  • passion8te
    passion8te Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2017
    I am facing my 45th birthday this month as well. I need to lose 15 lbs (5 to get into healthy BMI). I am athletic and like to play sports but the weight has crept up on me. I have been trying but it doesn't seem to want to come off. I know ppl will say I don't really "need" to lose the weight...but I can feel my ability to play sports impeded and if I get injured or quit then where will I be? This is all about health for me. Sports are my "zen" and provide excellent mental health as well as physical benefits.

When I bowl I use a 14 lbs ball and I can't help but think that I don't want to be lugging that off my back end for the next 30+ years of my life! Old age is going to be hard enough w/o extra to lug around :wink:
  • Smartia
    Smartia Posts: 3 Member
    I'll soon hit the big five-oh, I work part-time and hope to be full-time by midyear. (Job searching is a full-time job in itself!) I live with two teenagers, though they are feline, not human. ;)
  • CanadianMissy
    CanadianMissy Posts: 39 Member
    passion8te wrote: »
    I am facing my 45th birthday this month as well. I need to lose 15 lbs (5 to get into healthy BMI). I am athletic and like to play sports but the weight has crept up on me. I have been trying but it doesn't seem to want to come off. I know ppl will say I don't really "need" to lose the weight...but I can feel my ability to play sports impeded and if I get injured or quit then where will I be? This is all about health for me. Sports are my "zen" and provide excellent mental health as well as physical benefits.

When I bowl I use a 14 lbs ball and I can't help but think that I don't want to be lugging that off my back end for the next 30+ years of my life! Old age is going to be hard enough w/o extra to lug around :wink:

I WISH I liked sports. Sadly, I really abhor sports, runnng, most high cardio. Not only have I always struggled with it (even when young and fit), I find it insanely boring! I do like walking so I'm planning on that as exercise.
  • CanadianMissy
    Morglem wrote: »
    Hello, I'm 43 and I'm looking to lose between 30 and 40 lbs. I have a teenager and a 9 yo. Add me :) Lets do this!

How the heck do you add people?
  • I feel your pain! Business owner, kids, exhausted, tired, not Motivated ___
  • CanadianMissy
    I feel your pain! Business owner, kids, exhausted, tired, not Motivated ___

Hubby and I are also self employed and work together. My plan is to try and do short work out type stuff through the day at the office. Stuff like lunges or squats or a trip through the office to get in some steps.

Since you're also self-employed that might work for you, too. Gotta get in the self-employed kicks when you can! ;)
  • jwat90
    jwat90 Posts: 178 Member
    I'm 45 yrs old. It is much harder to lose weight at this age, but it really helps to have MFP friends who understand my daily struggle with food. Friend request sent.
  • sabanks3009
    sabanks3009 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi everyone
    I'm 57 y/o mom of a teenager and grandmother of an 8 & 9 yr old who are frequently with us. Every year from Oct - December I add on an additional 5 lbs which stays and has accumulated to recent total of 175 pounds. My goal is to lose 30 pounds. I usually walk every day, but with the freezing rain in the northeast, its been too treacherous to walk, therefore more weight has stayed on. Weight watchers is a successful program but the times offered don't work for me. They have dropped their lunch time hours & only have early morning hours. On line wasn't my cup of tea either. Trying to do this myself. First goal I have is to be accountable. Write down & calculate every little thing that goes into my mouth. Then I may not be so tempted to stuff it w so much. I would love to connect with others just to offer support and push each other forward. Stay healthy and happy