• flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    flatlndr wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    flatlndr wrote: »
    I ran your numbers (male, 198.5 lbs, 5'9", age 46) through the calculator at scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Thanks for that link! I've bookmarked it and am plugging it in with my activity levels now. EYE OPENING difference between MFP's suggestions and that! I'll need to cross verify the numbers with 2-3 other places but it sounds like 1,200 was insanity.

Hang on, one thing to note: MFP estimates are NEAT calorie goals, they do not include exercise. A site like scooby's workshop which calculated TDEE is including all your calories burned including exercise. That's one reason for the big difference.

That said, all of these are just estimates based on numbers you input. The most accurate numbers are the ones that come from your actual results, but since there's a change your logging hasn't been accurate it's difficult to assess what your actual TDEE is.

Since I first mentioned the Scooby site and TDEE numbers, note that I said the calculation was for a "sedentary" person, which I believe should give a close approximation to the MFP/NEAT baseline number (happy to be corrected). My purpose for doing so was to show that there was no way MFP should be telling him to eat 1200 calories ... unless, for example, he put in a massive weekly weight loss target.

For those not knowing what TDEE or NEAT are, a brief summary:
    - MFP uses NEAT (Non exercise Activity Thermogenisis) which basically is the calories you need before purposeful exercise to lose weight...that is why choosing your activity level is important when setting up your account if you aren't going to use TDEE.
    - TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure so that is your NEAT + EXERCISE

- Source: Second reply in https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10004328/mfp-vs-tdee

Yeah I didn't actually see that you provided him any numbers, I just wanted to clarify for him why you might see such a big difference between two different systems. I still haven't figured out how he ended up with a 1200 recommendation from MFP other than a glitch...

I've actually never compared a sedentary NEAT calculation from MFP with a sedentary TDEE from Scooby or another site. I know some TDEE calculators rely on a body fat estimate in order to more accurately predict calories. I use the MFP NEAT with a synced FitBit for exercise adjustments. That's been very accurate for me.

@WinoGelato - I did just this, albeit a couple years ago when I first started on MFP. They correlated within about 50 cals, pretty much across my full start->end range. So, I just used the Scooby "sedentary" numbers throughout my loss period, and manually entered them into MFP as my pre-exercise targets. Worked for me.

(edited to add) - I use a synced FitBit to get exercise adjustments as well. It's been a working combo for me too.
  • flatlndr
    Options
    THAT RIGHT THERE IS THE PROBLEM. RIGHT THERE. IN BLACK AND WHITE.

So you are saying that I need to weigh every single peanut I eat (in case the peanut is 1/100th of a gram off from a normal peanut) and somehow try to match every single macro and micro nutrient because nobody can lose weight reliably without doing that?

OP - No need to weigh every individual nut, but rather than graze on them along the day and then guess on your total intake, I recommend weighing out a portion at the beginning of the day (for me it's typically 50g of mixed almonds & cashews), logging that, and sticking to just that portion. If you want more, weigh and log another portion. Otherwise, those mindless nibbles add up to a lot of unrecorded calories.

• MileHigh4Wheeler
    MileHigh4Wheeler Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Again, this has been a great thread and very informational. I'm more grounded now, I think that perhaps my hormones really have been messed up because I was just angry as hell yesterday at pretty much everything and I'm not generally that angry of a person - nor am I defeatist at all. I work hard for my goals and I achieve them. I don't give up when I hit obstacles.

I started today fresh. I used the Scooby numbers and I decided to stop the hard core dieting for a few days to let my body get back to normal levels of everything. This is not to say a diet of cheeseburgers is in my future this week, but I'm loosening the reigns a bit and letting myself gain a bit if needed so my muscles can heal and my body chemistry can return to where it should be.

I did, however (and will strive to continue this trend) put EVERYTHING on a scale before eating it thus far today. It was an interesting, if not time consuming, process. Frustrating a bit too because I had some Post Shredded Wheat - I think as far as breakfast cereals go this is about the safest since the only ingredient is, well, whole wheat :). Anyway, I weighed out my two biscuits and went into the database, there was NO option for anything other than the biscuit count. There was nothing for grams, ounces or any other measurement other than biscuit. Similarly I had to weigh my blueberries in fluid ounces because, again, there was no gram or ounce measurement. How do you guys typically deal with that?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Again, this has been a great thread and very informational. I'm more grounded now, I think that perhaps my hormones really have been messed up because I was just angry as hell yesterday at pretty much everything and I'm not generally that angry of a person - nor am I defeatist at all. I work hard for my goals and I achieve them. I don't give up when I hit obstacles.

I started today fresh. I used the Scooby numbers and I decided to stop the hard core dieting for a few days to let my body get back to normal levels of everything. This is not to say a diet of cheeseburgers is in my future this week, but I'm loosening the reigns a bit and letting myself gain a bit if needed so my muscles can heal and my body chemistry can return to where it should be.

I did, however (and will strive to continue this trend) put EVERYTHING on a scale before eating it thus far today. It was an interesting, if not time consuming, process. Frustrating a bit too because I had some Post Shredded Wheat - I think as far as breakfast cereals go this is about the safest since the only ingredient is, well, whole wheat :). Anyway, I weighed out my two biscuits and went into the database, there was NO option for anything other than the biscuit count. There was nothing for grams, ounces or any other measurement other than biscuit. Similarly I had to weigh my blueberries in fluid ounces because, again, there was no gram or ounce measurement. How do you guys typically deal with that?

It's unusual not to find a gram entry for blueberries. Did you try clicking through the entry and then clicking on the measurement to see if it had been converted?

I just checked blueberries, 5th entry down in my search brought up a 100g entry.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    And for the Shredded Wheat, you could add your own entry or for me, I'm just not too anal about things like that where the calorie discrepancy is going to be small.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    @MileHigh4Wheeler I just checked and was able to find the shredded wheat and blueberries. After you log them once, they'll show up on your recent list, so it's much easier.

67by3akycw0g.jpg

qzt3mr666whp.jpg
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Again, this has been a great thread and very informational......I don't give up when I hit obstacles.

Sometimes frustration needs to be bopped on the head. I always suggest reading this brutally honest blog. Somebody suggested it to me a few years ago and it was the bop on the head I needed to reach my goals.

Enjoy, and don't take it personally. I point you to it to help you solve the frustration...

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Ok, so for the past 4 months I have really been working hard to get in better shape and lose weight. By about the 1st of November I was down 20 pounds and felt like I was on the right track. I'm following the guidelines on this site pretty strictly and I've cut pretty much all bread and processed sugar from my diet with the exception of the extremely occasional treat.

What's really frustrating is that every single day over the past week I have gained weight. Right now I weigh about one pound less than I did over two months ago even though I'm killing myself in exercise every day (at least 5 miles walking, 25 minutes elliptical, 30 minutes yoga and 15-25 minute strength training 3 times a week), drowning myself in 8 cups of water every day, eating smart and sticking to the plan set up by MyFitnessPal.

Don't get me wrong, I don't blame MFP or anyone for this, I'm just frustrated out of my mind for how I could possibly gain weight every damn day over the past week with no new "bad" change to my lifestyle. If anything I've ramped UP my activities over this week because I've had a lot of off time.

I was so upset about this that I told my wife "screw this, what is the point" and told her that I'm done, I see no point in working out anymore and no point in being so careful in my diet because, apparently, it makes no difference. I know this is not true, but it's how I feel.

I've worked so hard to get here to simply plateau and, worse yet, go backwards. I don't see how I can possibly work harder without just quitting my job and sitting in a gym all day because 1 to 1 1/2 hours A DAY in exercise is a lot.

HELP!

OP you need to realize that the scale can be up for all sorts of reasons, not related to actual fat gains. Water retention due to sodium intake, digestion periods, exercise causing water retention, hormones, batteries on scale going bad, weighing yourself at different times of day etc etc. If you're still eating at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals then you're not gaining 'real' weight. Stop focusing on daily/weekly weigh-ins and start looking at the bigger picture-what are your monthly trends?

Also, it sounds like you're making this whole thing harder than it needs to be-the only thing you need to do, to lose the extra weight, is to be eating at the correct calorie deficit for your weight goals. You seem to be focusing a lot on exercise but that's not really a factor for weight loss, except it gives you a few more calories to eat. No need to be killing yourself working out if it's going to cause you to burn out. If you're not enjoying your work outs then take a step back and look at what's going to be sustainable and enjoyable for you.

The important thing is to be focusing on your calories-make sure you're consistently tracking your calorie intake, are being accurate in your portion sizes (using a food scale regularly), are adjusting your calorie intake goals every few pounds lost (as you lose weight your body needs less calories to maintain) and then most importantly-be patient :)
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    The scale can be a big fat liar when it comes to size. If your hitting the gym hard you will store water in your muscles and show a gain. Eat a salty taco or steak, water retention. If the scale is uneven or tilted or you stand upright instead of leaning over, change on the scale.
    Try measuring yourself! I do it and it helps to see that my waist is 1/4 inch smaller despite the scale saying I'm 4 lbs heavier today.
  • MileHigh4Wheeler
    Options
    Mini_Medic wrote: »
    The scale can be a big fat liar when it comes to size. If your hitting the gym hard you will store water in your muscles and show a gain. Eat a salty taco or steak, water retention. If the scale is uneven or tilted or you stand upright instead of leaning over, change on the scale.
    Try measuring yourself! I do it and it helps to see that my waist is 1/4 inch smaller despite the scale saying I'm 4 lbs heavier today.

That helps a lot. This thread has really educated me on water retention as a result of increasing my exercise and intensity of exercises. But it has also educated me that I was practically starving myself at 1,200 calories too. I should know better than to trust an Internet site for my health - even if it IS Under Armour :D.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    op yesterday I had lost 0.2 lbs. today my weight is up 1.4 lbs. sure Im female so my weight may fluctuate more than yours. but its up that much,Im sure it had to do with what I ate yesterday(high sodium food). oh and Im eating 1700 calories and lost some weight.I have to log everything and weigh it. even when trying to eyeball portions I am off by a little bit. some of us will be able to eyeball things and some of us wont. with MFP you are supposed to eat back at least 25-50% of exercise calories(some can eat all of them back) with scoobys workshop and TDEE method you dont eat any of them back.using a scale will be an eye opening experience. it was for me. make sure you weigh all solid and semi solids on a scale in grams and you can weigh liquids in cups/spoons or you can weigh them on the scale too(if it has a fl oz or ml setting)
  • flatlndr
    edited January 2017
    Options

That's interesting, because I log my blueberries in grams ...
    5bv91qgxcthd.png

(edited to add) - glad to see you coming around! Lots of people here have been through that same "I don't want to weigh/measure everything!" battle, but then once they relent, try it for a week or two, and start seeing changes, they join in on the fun. Good luck!

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration. I have had a year of dieting and am down 71 pounds and up until about 6 weeks ago was losing a steady 1.4 pounds a week. Now I have taken 6 weeks to lose 3 pounds. I know it's frustrating one week I'm down a half pound then a couple days later I've gained a pound! There are so many things that will change your rate of loss. Measure yourself occasionally and STOP WEIGHING EVERY DAY. That will drive you crazy. If your bowels don't move one day you can gain a pound if you are eating a lot of fibre. We become too scale focused, myself included. Look at what you have accomplished already. Lots of folks on this site have this kind of weight fluctuation regularly. We are in good company. Hang in there you will make it if you don't give up.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Occasionally I find an entry that doesn't have grams as an option. Just use the info on the package to do a conversion, grams to serving size.

I'm curious about your comment that, "as far as breakfast cereals go, this is about the safest". Does this comment reflect your attitude about food, or just the ease of logging it? If its about food, that's a whole other discussion that needs to be had. ;)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you weigh out 100 grams of peanuts and have one extra nut, you're probably ok. If you weigh out 100 grams of rice and have one extra grain, you're definitely ok. If you guesstimate a handful of peanuts or a spoonful of rice, you're not ok.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Where it said "1 biscuit" or "fl oz" should have been a drop down box, from there you can choose grams. If not, keep looking down the list that comes up when you search until you find one that has it. Whenever I search for items with no brand name, I find including "raw" or "usda" in the search helps pull up a correct entry.
  • MagicalGiraffe
    MagicalGiraffe Posts: 102 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I permanently keep my scales on the counter. If I want a glob of peanut butter I'll undo the lid and stick the jar on the scale, zero it and dig a glob out with my finger no shame. The difference on the scale is the weight of my glob. Weigh all your globs because a teaspoon sure can pile peanut butter a lot higher than 5g.

Edit to add: once you start logging accurately and specifically if you do tend to have the same things for breakfast and lunch - it gets so much faster. You'll find the entries that have a 1g portion on there to accurately enter your 9g butter on your 52g slice of bread. Only thing that I haven't seen - make sure to log raw foods. When you cook pasta, rice, meat and even toast bread the water weight in them changes. For bread you might lose about 7g but the difference in pasta can vary a lot depending on how you cook it and how long. Again once you've found a solid diary entry for pasta that is a raw value and let's you log by the gram, logging becomes a lot quicker and it won't seem as much of a chore. The app is learning your choices atm for them to show up in frequents.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I permanently keep my scales on the counter. If I want a glob of peanut butter I'll undo the lid and stick the jar on the scale, zero it and dig a glob out with my finger no shame. The difference on the scale is the weight of my glob. Weigh all your globs because a teaspoon sure can pile peanut butter a lot higher than 5g.

New official form of measurement - glob:)
  • MileHigh4Wheeler
    Options
    If I want a glob of peanut butter I'll undo the lid and stick the jar on the scale, zero it and dig a glob out with my finger no shame.

NO SHAME! Love it!