I am too Fat to work out at the gym

Options
I walked into my gym yesterday with the intent of working out. As soon as I saw the equipment I froze. I inquired about a personal trainer from the front desk. Thinking that will help motivate me. But I just feel too huge to work out. I set a goal as I left the gym to lose 80 lbs before I start back in the gym. I am feeling that I have so much to lose and I am trying not to get discouraged or frustrated. But no one wants to see a morbidly obese person working out.

Replies

• Jellybewbie
    Jellybewbie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Don't let what you think other people may think of you stop doing something good! What someone else thinks of you is their opinion and I have to say I felt similar when I joined my gym 11 months ago, but its an amazing feeling to see yourself get smaller at the gym, to use the equipment and I have never had anyone sneer at me or look down at me for being bigger in the gym!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    trudie_b wrote: »
    I disagree. I go to the gym 4 times a week, I lift weights, and I look pretty fit. So maybe if I was in your gym you might think I'm looking down on you? I sure wouldn't be. I'd be thinking, way to go, you've taken the first step on an amazing journey. I'd be thinking, I've been where you are. I'd be thinking, keep going, don't give up, you're worth this effort. I would be SO rooting for you.

Yep, this^^
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I'm with the others, no one is paying attention to you and if they are, they are most likely cheering you on. I've had the same thoughts go through my head - especially when I started running. I put together a strategy of baby steps to work through that eventually got me through most of my anxiety.

Perhaps try the same thing? Figure out small steps you can take to get you comfortable going to the gym (without the big "I have to lose 80 lbs first")... while you don't have to go to a gym to lose weight, it does help you gain fitness and feel better overall... bonus: a few more calories you can eat after a workout :D )
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I notice anyone who is new at my gym, but certainly don't pay too much attention other than that. I respect anyone who is there to put the work in.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You don't have to go to a gym to exercise or lose weight.
    There are lots of free workouts on you tube or you can get dvd's. You can walk anywhere. You can invest in home exercise equipment.
    You can lose weight without exercise. Just watch your calorie intake.
  • LEAS86
    LEAS86 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I can almost guarantee that you wouldn't be the only person in there that's feeling self conscious. It's daunting, you feel too big but there will be others who feel too small, too weak, too unfit, some of the machines look like you need a degree to work them etc etc.
    I found that actually, no one pays much attention to what anyone else is doing, they are busy worrying about their own goals, like you are.
    I understand your fear but would totally advocate booking that trainer, building your gym confidence, and not giving a monkeys what any one else thinks. If they've got energy to think about you - they should be working out harder! Best of luck to you.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    OP you go and do you. dont worry about anyone else. you are there for a purpose and if anyone is there looking down on you they have issues.if someone stares or looks at you funny just smile and wave. kill them with kindness.If I worried about what people thought about me every time I left the house to do something nothing would get done.If you want to go back go back and rock that gym and become the best you that you can be.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments! I read every one and I still have tears. I will do this. Tomorrow while my daughter swims, I will walk on the treadmill as long as I can. Baby steps. Today I will take her to a trampoline park- she will not have my issues!

Yay! <3
  • erniewebbiii
    erniewebbiii Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    I walked into my gym yesterday with the intent of working out. As soon as I saw the equipment I froze. I inquired about a personal trainer from the front desk. Thinking that will help motivate me. But I just feel too huge to work out. I set a goal as I left the gym to lose 80 lbs before I start back in the gym. I am feeling that I have so much to lose and I am trying not to get discouraged or frustrated. But no one wants to see a morbidly obese person working out.

I was 5-7 and 320 when I started working out at the gym. I was terrified at first, but found after a while that people really aren't paying attention to much beyond their own workout. In addition, as the months and years went on, I found that it was a great place to socialize. Ultimately, many of the people I expected to judge or laugh were the ones who would say things like "You're doing great," or "You're lifting so much more than when you started," just little things that make you feel better about yourself.

Anybody who says anything negative, laughs, etc., can go *kitten* themselves. They've got a lot bigger issues than looking good.