I am too Fat to work out at the gym

Options

Replies

• benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I walked into my gym yesterday with the intent of working out. As soon as I saw the equipment I froze. I inquired about a personal trainer from the front desk. Thinking that will help motivate me. But I just feel too huge to work out. I set a goal as I left the gym to lose 80 lbs before I start back in the gym. I am feeling that I have so much to lose and I am trying not to get discouraged or frustrated. But no one wants to see a morbidly obese person working out.

I know that feeling and I am only slightly overweight. For some reason, I experience a lot of anxiety about working out around other people. I don't think that will ever change for me even if I get in great shape.

I just have to force myself to do it. As long as nobody talks to me, I am fine. Haha.
  • 1cand0it2
    1cand0it2 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It takes courage to go, so congrats for your attempt! We are at are most vulnerable in workout gear with unfamiliar equipment. After the first few days, the others get to know and accept you, and eventually become your friends. In short, you got over the hardest, scariest visit. Keep your head up and keep at it!
    (When I first started (scary scary) classes, I could barely shuffle (not chassee), could not jump, and forget skipping! But I got over that.)
    Good luck!
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    It gets less scary the more you go and find a routine you can get comfortable with. I recommend setting up a small nautilus circuit with one of the staff. They should show you how to use the machines as part of the membership without the expense of a personal trainer. Some gyms have an area where there are a group of machines away from the main area. In my case, there was a set of older machines towards the back of the gym away from the crowds. It worked out great. It was my own little private oasis. I like the spa mentality of the previous post. After my workout I treated myself to a hot sauna. Different gyms also have different vibes.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I am responding to the OP, without reading any responses.

"I'm too obese to work out at the gym" is a perfectly good excuse. Use it in bad health.

The first thing to be aware of is that paying money to a gym is only going to help the gym company. The work of exercise has to be done for you by you.

The second thing to be aware of is that exercise of any formally structured variety is not necessary to lose weight.

You can lose weight. Eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Count your calories accurately. Log your food intake completely. Enjoy to ride.

Now I have read the responses so far.
    The simple fact that @chelepeaches has returned to her discussion and said something self-respecting is good progress. Kick *kitten*, chick.
  • stephmph16
    stephmph16 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I walked into my gym yesterday with the intent of working out. As soon as I saw the equipment I froze. I inquired about a personal trainer from the front desk. Thinking that will help motivate me. But I just feel too huge to work out. I set a goal as I left the gym to lose 80 lbs before I start back in the gym. I am feeling that I have so much to lose and I am trying not to get discouraged or frustrated. But no one wants to see a morbidly obese person working out.

I promise you, most people are too busy worrying about themselves to notice you. You left because you chickened out, not because other people didn't want to see you. You have to get over that and develop the "I don't give a *** attitude, I'm gonna go work out!"

I think starting with a trainer is a good idea, they'll show you around the gym and show you what good exercises would be to start with. Even if you just go to the gym and do 20 mins on a cardio machine every day, it can't hurt! You'll train yourself to get into the habit of going to the gym, which can be a huge hurdle itself.

You can do it, you just need to get out of your own head first. Good luck!
  • cheshirecatxxmad
    cheshirecatxxmad Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I used to get super scared too, but honestly I'm happy I went and now keep going regularly because regardless of how I look, I feel better inside. Everyone is paying attention to themselves and nobody is looking at anything but their weights, their miles run, or their own physical progress. You got this, chica! Start off slow and build yourself up.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Who cares what other people do or don't want to see? They can look the other way if they don't like it. I started running 90 pounds ago--outside, in broad daylight, where anybody could see me--and it was uncomfortable at first, until I realized that other runners were really supportive. All of the people I know who work out regularly have nothing but respect for newbies who are getting started on their fitness goals.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky in that I bought a clothes rack a few years back when I tried to lose weight before and it has miraculously turned back into a treadmill, so I started walking on it in September and am down 55 lbs without stepping into a gym. I've since bought some dumbbells and am using them a couple times a week.

The thought of going to the gym is more demotivating for me than anything, so I'm doing it all at home. It may change one day, but it's not for me right now.

My suggestion is to start just walking and work on the food side of things. Maybe get a tracker and see how much you walk now and then try to increase the number of steps each week.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments! I read every one and I still have tears. I will do this. Tomorrow while my daughter swims, I will walk on the treadmill as long as I can. Baby steps. Today I will take her to a trampoline park- she will not have my issues!

Great to hear!!!!

I've been going to all kinds of gyms since I was a student (I am 52 now). I have NEVER ONCE thought poorly of an unfit or big person working out. I think " good for you" and feel inspired. I have seen obese people, people with physical disabilities, Downs Syndrome, very fragile elderly, people recovering from illness or injury - all exercising. Everyone wants to encourage those who are trying to take control of themselves. It is exciting to see someone progress, even when we don't really know them.

Also, consider that many of the most fit people you will see started out at a very different level...

I feel the same way when I see a very slow person out jogging. Good for them! There's a ton of couch-potatoes in our society and it's nice to see someone bettering themselves.
  • amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    As everybody else has mentioned, people are not there to look at you. I have been a regular gym goer for years and I almost never pay attention to anybody unless I am admiring what they are doing and want to try it next.

I was very overweight the first time I went into the gym and I understand feeling uncomfortable but you just have to get used to it and it starts to feel natural. Find a time when its not as busy until you start to feel better about being there. Or as other people have mentioned, try home workouts too to boost your confidence. Good luck!! :smiley:
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Oh honey don't ever think that! If you don't want to go at first you can do other things but there is no reason why you shouldn't be there. I started walking because I'm not much of a gym person but I used to go to the gym when I was over 200 pounds. I've lost 70 pounds though just walking about 45 minutes a day. Don't ever think you have any less right to go to the gym than anyone else. I applaud you for going! Whatever you do just hang in there and increase your fitness slowly and you will be successful!
  • bicycler1952
    bicycler1952 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Chele, tomorrow when you walk on the treadmill, make a note of how many minutes you can do. I'll bet the next day you can do 1 minute more. And the next day...and the next...
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I get it. If you can get it done without the gym and you feel better that way, that's cool. But I will say, if you came to my gym I would be high fiving you every damn day. I love to see people changing their future.

^This. Slow and steady wins the race. One day at a time.

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Simple truth I have found...You won't be able to please everyone all the time. If your'e fit and trim folks may judge you too. But most people at the gym won't care they are there to work out.

You said something I found interesting, "my daughter won't have my issues".

Stay with that by setting an example. She never has to hear the word "diet" (in the traditional sense) or weight loss, she only needs to see her mom work out and make better eating choices and she will have a good start!

Best!
  • WhizGidget
    WhizGidget Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said - no one is going to be looking at you, and if they are, they are cheering you on. I certainly would be, even if I never say anything. There's a guy at my gym that has been going regularly, and I've watched his weight loss over the last year. It's been impressive, and I suspect if you start now, you'll have someone else in a year thinking the same thing of you - that your progress and dedication has been impressive.

And setting a good example for your daughter is absolutely the best start for her too. My daughters have watched me over the years staying in shape, and I never use the word diet (I work out so that I can eat whatever I want, after working really hard to get where I am), and they're lovely. They won't have weight issues because they know staying active and working out is the best way to not be deprived - of food, of activities they want to do, of anything.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

You might just be wrong,
    Everybody that is there is there for the following reasons: To get into better shape, to be healthier, to change their bodies.
    Everybody knows how hard is it is to make that 1st step. I would not be surprised if people start to high - five you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

Yes, do get a few sessions with a personal trainer - you will feel a LOT more comfortable afterwards.

I'm rooting for you!

b0813ebdd95539d48845cd87d7d68922c6084b55e2601328d5880295a676d860.jpg