Anyone found hydroxy cut successful?

Options
I'm trying taking it and I'm not asking if it's a magic pill or anything but my question is: has anyone taken it and found that with the right diet and exercise it helped them lose weight faster than otherwise? Gave that metabolism and extra boost?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Unless it's magic, nothing helps weight loss or gives metabolism an extra boost.

The boring answer: only exercise increases your metabolism. Consistently eating below maintenance creates weightloss.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    May I ask what your height and weight are now and how much you're wanting to lose?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    No legal or human grade products work as a "fat burner".
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the only people who find hydroxycut successful are the ones that are making a killing off this useless med.
  • NeedToBeThin87
    NeedToBeThin87 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your honesty guys. At the very least I find the caffeine makes me less hungry so I guess that's something.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I tried it a few years ago and ended up in the hospital with chest pain. Please be very careful.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thanks for your honesty guys. At the very least I find the caffeine makes me less hungry so I guess that's something.

Pending you don't have a tolerance against it, caffeine is one of a few supplements worth taking.
  • jasmon
    jasmon Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    An espresso usually gives the same effect. Failing that regular black coffee works for me
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I use it, and although I don't see anything on the scales, it does give me loads of energy
  • msgomezm
    msgomezm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It dries me out. That's the best I can explain it lol.

It helps you drink lots of water to compensate though.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Nope. I should've just lit the cash on fire for all the good it did me.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    jasmon wrote: »
    An espresso usually gives the same effect. Failing that regular black coffee works for me

This^

The plus is you get the benefit of tasting coffee. Pills don't give you that.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,555 Member
    Options
    It's a stimulant. An an expensive one at that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • walterskh
    walterskh Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I found it made me really nervous and I stayed awake until after 4 am. This is from someone who regularly drinks her caffeine. So I didn't stick with it. I have been reading a lot about garcenia cambogia and a co-worker claims it helped boost her weight loss without the side affects. Any thoughts from this group?
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    If someone needs motivation it might help. If you spend that much money on pills you won't want it to be wasted so you would probably eat less and exercise more. It gives people energy because of a stimulant in it but coffee, tea, soda, and caffine pills would do the same. I prefer to drink Pepsi Zero sugar.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    walterskh wrote: »
    I found it made me really nervous and I stayed awake until after 4 am. This is from someone who regularly drinks her caffeine. So I didn't stick with it. I have been reading a lot about garcenia cambogia and a co-worker claims it helped boost her weight loss without the side affects. Any thoughts from this group?

More garbage, another "Dr. Oz special". It'll make your wallet lighter though.

I'll offer the best tip for "fat burners" of any kind: If it's legal, it doesn't work. If it works, it isn't legal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Pricey stimulant...
  • farrell16
    farrell16 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    To respond to kommodevaran's comment, saying only exercise increases your metabolism is incorrect.

Anything that increases your core body temperature does indeed increase your metabolism... thats why it is called calorie "burning"... its directly related to the temperature in which your body is operating. So by that very simple definition, anything that raises your core body temperature does for a brief period of time increase metabolism (including but not exclusively to exercise)... thats why some trainers recommend a black coffee befrore the gym etc, but other ingredients raise your temperature as well... try a hot pepper for example... absolutely causes a brief spike of metabolism.

Products like hydroxycut have a combination of those type of ingredients to cause small increase in metabolism for a short period of time. Taken before the gym and yes you will burn more calories, but by no means is it a magic pill. Lets say an activity you do burns about 250 calories... taking a product to increase metabolism may result in 280 calories burned in that same activity.... 30 calories more equals 0.8% of a pound of fat... so magic pill it certainly is not... but it does inch you closer to negative calorie deficit and every little bit can help. Take it if you like, I personally find hydroxycut too expensive so would recommend finding something with similar ingredients in a less marketed brand... or even a straight forward high potency green tea pill high in EGCG (catechins)will have a similar effect.

People love to talk poorly about supplements but rarely are they posting any clinical evidence so always do your own research. They are supplements, as in they supplement what you are already doing and nothing more. But do they assist towards your goal. Absolutely, here are some real scientific references regarding Green tea that if you are curious about you can look into if interested.

Ingestion of a tea rich in catechins leads to a reduction in body fat and malondialdehyde-modified LDL in men. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2005;81(1):122-129.

Body weight loss and weight maintenance in relation to habitual caffeine intake and green tea supplementation. Obesity Research 2005;13(7):1195-1204.

I have no vested interest in whether you take it or not in fact drinking Green tea can be just as effective in the right amounts but if you want to supplement by all means they do assist. They burn a small percentage more calories then the same activity without them but unless your calorie expenditure exceeds your daily intake they will not make you lose weight but technically help lower the amount you put on from in taking more calories than you have burned.

But the supplements do work but the are a small piece of the puzzle.... exercise and diet will always be the biggest factors.