Lifting question from total newb

Options
I've started using the weight machine in the gym. I'm focusing on my shoulders/arms, as I am trying to improve my posture and have more upper-body strength in general. When I am lifting, should I set it to the weight I can just barely move and do reps until I just can't do them any more? Should I aim for being sore (DOMS) or so sore I can barely move? How many times per week should I be lifting? Should I lift even if I have DOMS, or wait until the DOMS is faded?

If it matters, I am female, middle-aged, low end of healthy weight and trying to gain.

Thanks for any guidance!!

Replies

• 49ersKurt
    49ersKurt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Howdy, shoot for 8-12 reps. If you get to 12 and it's easy then weight is too low if you can't get to 8 then it's too high.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I would add back and chest training to help your posture and upper body strength.... And legs because, well.... You don't want to fall over from being top heavy :p

I don't get DOMS... It doesn't mean you're training hard enough/growing - I recover quite quickly and never been one to hobble out of the gym after a heavy leg session. If you're training with a 4 day split (for example), you have sufficient time to rest each body part in between workouts. If you do get doms, moving around will probably help you.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    OP: You don't even mention what kind of arm/shoulder lifting you're doing.

There are all kinds of lifts you "could" do for upper body work and how many reps to do isn't the 1st thing you need to consider.

The best suggestion I can give you is to discuss your goals with a trainer at your gym, who can help you design a program that best meets those goals as well as make you aware of other things you can or should be doing instead.
  • Morriganmum
    Morriganmum Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

There are all kinds of lifts you "could" do for upper body work and how many reps to do isn't the 1st thing you need to consider.

The best suggestion I can give you is to discuss your goals with a trainer at your gym, who can help you design a program that best meets those goals as well as make you aware of other things you can or should be doing instead.

Ha! I have no idea what they are called. I'll try to look them up. Meanwhile, no trainer at gym, it is just the weight room available to me.
  • Morriganmum
    Options
    49ersKurt wrote: »
    Howdy, shoot for 8-12 reps. If you get to 12 and it's easy then weight is too low if you can't get to 8 then it's too high.

8-12 reps, just one set of those? Or multiple sets?
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You need to get on a linear progression weight lifting program. If your available weight room has the equipment, I would suggest Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5, but there are other programs. The great thing about being a newbie, newbie gains, so get on a program and take advantage of it.
  • lauamy96
    lauamy96 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    49ersKurt wrote: »

8-12 reps, just one set of those? Or multiple sets?

Always multiple. Do 3-5, last set should be difficult but still doable.
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You need to get on a linear progression weight lifting program. If your available weight room has the equipment, I would suggest Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5, but there are other programs. The great thing about being a newbie, newbie gains, so get on a program and take advantage of it.

Definitely this.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The most effective programs are going to focus on compound lifts (OHP, Bench, Squat and Deadlift). If you are looking to get maximize your results, get on a program like the ones found in the below link. Compound lifts will engage the maximum amount of muscles with the least amount of time spent in a gym. As noted above, linear progression will force you to get stronger, which gives you a better opportunity to gain muscle as you gain weight.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Morriganmum
    Options

Ha! I have no idea what they are called. I'll try to look them up. Meanwhile, no trainer at gym, it is just the weight room available to me.

No, actually, I won't look them up, because what movements I'm making isn't the question, the question is basically the best way to build muscle. No matter where, no matter which movements.
  • Morriganmum
    Options
    The great thing about being a newbie, newbie gains, so get on a program and take advantage of it.
    What do you mean by this? Newbie gains?
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I've started using the weight machine in the gym. I'm focusing on my shoulders/arms, as I am trying to improve my posture and have more upper-body strength in general. When I am lifting, should I set it to the weight I can just barely move and do reps until I just can't do them any more? Should I aim for being sore (DOMS) or so sore I can barely move? How many times per week should I be lifting? Should I lift even if I have DOMS, or wait until the DOMS is faded?

If it matters, I am female, middle-aged, low end of healthy weight and trying to gain.

Thanks for any guidance!!

Sounds like you should hire a trainer, remember you're interviewing them for a job more or less don't feel pressured to sign up with any of them.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    ^agreed
    If nothing else, you could hire @SideSteel just for programming based on your goals and what you have available.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

No, actually, I won't look them up, because what movements I'm making isn't the question, the question is basically the best way to build muscle. No matter where, no matter which movements.

Then the correct answer is "It depends". Or as Lyle McDonald might say, the correct answer is "a mallard". Because context matters.
  • Micheddie40
    Micheddie40 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I weight 124 I'm 5'2 my age 41 and I'm a female
    I'm trying to tone up what will be my in take in protein, carbs, and fats how many calories should I intake. And what supplements will help me build muscle tone?
    Michelle
  • SammySkiAZ
    SammySkiAZ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Morriganmum - I've been lifting on and off for 30 years, and turn 60 this weekend. Let me give you some different/additional suggestions to what I'm seeing here from others. First, if you are truly middle-aged, you need to take into consideration the increased risk of hurting yourself. Whatever you do, get a couple sets of warm ups in. I start with a very light weight, 10 or 15 pounds, just to get my joints and tendons working. A second warm up set with about half the normal weight follows. I also do some stretching for certain exercises - especially shoulders as I have one that is a bit balky with some rotator cuff damage that doesn't like the strain of pull-ups.

Second, if you're just getting started, I suggest not going super heavy. Work up to it. The old 8-12 reps rule leans towards the higher side when you're starting out, especially as we age. Spend the first few weeks more in the 12 or 12-15 rep range to get started. See how your body reacts as you see how many days a week you want to do this.

Third, if you really want to build some muscles, you gotta eat protein. The science is very clear on this. If you want to get stronger and add muscle, really focus on protein. In heavy lifting cycles, I usually eat 3-4 eggs after working out in the morning. Have several glasses of milk during the day, and focus on higher-protein percentage lunches and dinners. Get rid of the wasted carb calories such as breads, white rice, potatoes, etc. And, as celebrity trainer Harley Pasternak likes to say, "all the vegetables you can eat". If you're middle aged and your metabolism has slowed down, I don't recommend any of the powders or mixes. While they have great protein, they're usually too many calories. Those are made for 20-year-old guys who are trying to get bigger.

Fourth, certain exercises will have greater impact on your overall physique. For example, pull-ups will have a tremendous impact on your body shape. If you want to look athletic, it's my #1 recommendation. They will broaden your shoulders and give you more of that athletic V-shape that makes men and women both look more attractive. But many people don't, as they're hard to do - especially for women or people who have never really done much before. You can use a pull-down machine at the gym, or some have assisted pull-up machines. Thirdly, you can always ask some cute guy to cup your ankle while you push off a bit to help you pull-up on the bar. Also, as we age and sit at our desks all day, I find that many people's lower backs have become weak. Partially bent rows are great for getting your back and abs stronger. Beyond that, you should look to lift weights with all the major muscle groups of your body, alternating days and resting or mixing in other activities on those off days. I cycle and hike to get exercise on the off-lifting days.

My final bit of advice is to read. Get a subscription to one or two of the bodybuilding magazines such as Flex. It's over the top for what you want, but in just a few months' issues will teach you a lot - including different exercises and nutrition to add muscle. I would recommend Flex over other pubs such as Shape and Womens' Health, which really don't focus on weight lifting.

Get started, but take it easy. You don't need a trainer, but you do need to 'listen' to your body. It will tell you what's too much or when to take a break.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

What if the "best" way to build muscle is movement dependent?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

The best way to build muscle is to do a variety of exercises that work different muscle groups, with adequate rest/recovery time in between. The number of reps/sets you do for one exercise doesn't matter as much as the overall picture of the routine. If you've been on MFP for awhile you may have heard people talk about the overall diet being more important than any one food choice, and it's the same for exercise. Just like eating one serving of kale per day won't make you healthy, focusing on one shoulder exercise won't make you strong.

In your OP, you asked about whether you should do such a heavy weight that you can barely move it, and you asked about whether you should be so sore afterward that you can't move. For the sake of your joints I hope you're trolling, but I'm going to assume that you're not. Those are both TERRIBLE ideas (unless you're trying to hurt yourself, in which case carry on). Pain and extreme fatigue are signals that you should stop what you're doing, especially when you're new and aren't quite sure where the line between soreness and injury is. As a beginner, you should be aiming for weights that are slightly challenging but that you can move with good form on every rep. It's okay to have more difficulty toward the end of the set than at the beginning, but you should still be able to move the weight comfortably. If you feel DOMS, it should be relatively mild to moderate, and it feel better with movement. (So it's okay if you feel sore in the morning or after sitting for awhile but feel better as the day goes on or as you move more).

The good news is that there are TONS of beginner lifting programs that will take all of the guesswork out of this for you. You should find one and follow it; you'll get all the benefits of working with an expert and will be much more likely to reach your goals without hurting yourself.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    In the original post you said your focus was more on strength (improved posture and upper body strength) than building muscle mass.

For strength you should go lower reps. Do some warm ups with a weight that you can do 10- 15 times and then do 3 sets with a weight that's so heavy you're barely able to get 5 reps.

Moving more weight makes you stronger faster than moving lighter weight more times and therefore will have a faster greater effect on your posture and over-all upper body strength.

If you have injuries, or joint pain, go back to the lighter weights and greater number of reps. You will get stronger this way, it's just not as effective as lower reps.

And as a guy above me said - eat your protein. That's almost as important as the lifting.