A great recipe for a low carb, low sugar breakfast

Options
princessnarmor
princessnarmor Posts: 67 Member
edited January 2017 in Recipes
I'm a low carb no sugar no bread high protein person . I know it sounds extreme but most of the above slow my metabolism down wayyy to much.

I stumbled across a breakfast recipe (finally) and I want to share because it has really helped me. I eat it for breakfast lunch or dinner because its around 350 to 400 calories. If you have one of those recipes, or if u can think of high protein variations or even different spices, post em here!!

Step #1
I do all of this by food processor. I use the slicer attachment.
1 onion any size
1 red pepper
1 zucchini squash or yellow squash
1 roma tomato (too much tomato raises the calorie count)

Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray
spread out the veggies on the foil in a semi thin layer. Don't make it so thin though that it burns easily.

Sprinkle with 2 tbps of minced garlic
Sprinkle with garlic powder
Sprinkle with dried basil or you can use fresh basil (its better with fresh) Don't be sparing on your basil, because its what makes this whole dish.
Spray lightly with butter cooking spray

Bake this for 30 mins at 400 to 410 degrees

I fold into fourths 6 pieces of lond of frost ham, I fold, not cut. Or you can use any shaved ham. You could use turkey or chicken. I just liked ham best. Place it in 6 spaces on top of the veggies.

Use 1 oz of Itailian Fresh grated cheese of your choice. I like Kraft best. Sprinkle over the veggies. Sometimes I use more and sometimes I just put the veggies in a ramekin or baking bowl with the 1 oz of cheese, as it doesn't cover the whole thing and the cheese helps to make this filling.

The original recipe used an egg. I'm not crazy about eggs. So I substituted the Land o Frost ham slices.

Sometimes I will spread Spaghetti sauce or prego pizza sauce over it for a more spaghetti like meal. Sometimes I use both spaghetti sauce and cottage cheese for a lasagna like taste.

Do you have any ideas for variations?

I've also used toasted onions cheddar and roast beef slices (takes a lot of the toasted onions though to make up for that onion bun!!)\\

Post/discuss

Replies

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Those vegetables are at least 15-20g of carbs...

The only foods that are low-carb/no-sugar are unprocessed meats without any extra sugar/marinades/etc added to it (bacon might have a gram or two of added sugar, especially if it's maple-cured), eggs, and cheese (though I think 1oz has something like 0.1-0.25g of sugar).

PS: Now I really want steak and eggs. I had scrambled eggs and leftover vegetables for lunch.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Darn I was excited to see a thread all about bacon!

OP recipe sounds good, doesn't sound like breakfast food (especially with spaghetti sauce) and doesn't sound no carb/no sugar (especially with spaghetti sauce).

Also, the types of foods you eat don't slow down your metabolism. Your metabolism is what it is. What kinds of foods you eat, what time of day you eat then, has no bearing on it.
  • princessnarmor
    princessnarmor Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    the are the good ones. I'm talking about the bad ones.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Sorry to break the news to you - all carbs are broken down into sugar.
    That's not a bad thing of course. That's why they are a great energy source.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Ok well, remind me to never share another recipe here (or pretty much anything else) !!! I've lost 30 lbs on that recipe your trying so hard to pick apart. But ok, pick away since your all weight and diet sperts here. So instead of picking and critical judgements , whatever happened to answering the original question and just being Helpful. Or has the MFP community just become a bunch of forum troll experts like the rest of the internet. Not one thing any of you said was in any way constructive or helpful. Have a nice life, (but I doubt it).

Your recipe sounds lovely, it was the incorrect thread title that is a problem. Newbies might read it and believe it was no carb/sugar.

Continue to share recipes, I for one love reading them. Well done on your weight loss
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Ok well, remind me to never share another recipe here (or pretty much anything else) !!! I've lost 30 lbs on that recipe your trying so hard to pick apart. But ok, pick away since your all weight and diet sperts here. So instead of picking and critical judgements , whatever happened to answering the original question and just being Helpful. Or has the MFP community just become a bunch of forum troll experts like the rest of the internet. Not one thing any of you said was in any way constructive or helpful. Have a nice life, (but I doubt it).

So the good news is you lost 30 lbs while still eating carbs and sugar:).

Ease up folks are just trying to help point out a few things. There are so many diet myths out there and they keep getting repeated that folks get confused or maybe I should say I was confused.

It's all good, stick around. Plenty of folks eat low carb and plenty of folks try to cut out added sugar.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

People trying to help you understand that these things do have carbs/sugar and that there's nothing inherently bad about those things IS being constructive and helpful. There's nothing wrong with choosing low carb, if you find it sustainable, but without a medical reason to restrict carbs then there isn't anything magical about cutting them when it comes to weight loss, that still is dependent on a calorie deficit.

Learning that what a lot of us believe was actually wrong, or not required, is what enables many people to find long term success when it comes to weight loss and overall health.

Take a deep breath, try not to be so defensive when you read the posts/comments, and keep al open mind. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here who want to help folks learn. Your recipe does sound tasty, it's just not a no carb/no sugar recipe - which is an important distinction.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »

Carbs are carbs. There's no "good" or "bad" carbs. Just pure deliciousness. :heart:

Is this really true though? Couldn't it be more complex than that?

I mean, first off, depends on how you're defining good or bad. If by bad, we mean a carb that triggers hunger and therefore makes eating at the body's TDEE more challenging, then I'd say there are bad carbs for some people.

For example, a bowl of high sugar cereal with milk makes me hungrier than I would've been if I'd not even eaten anything at all. The protein and fat in the milk aren't enough to offset the way my body reacts to the high sugar cereal. That makes weight management much harder for me than it needs to be.

Can anyone recommend a book that's based on recent peer-reviewed research about hormones and hunger? I find it an interesting subject and it doesn't seem discussed much on this board at all. I understand this board's need to stress the primacy of calories, since that's number one in weight, and I get that many posters don't seem to understand that, so this board keeps repeating that message...but that pattern narrows the scope of nutrition discussion so much.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Carbs are carbs. There's no "good" or "bad" carbs. Just pure deliciousness. :heart:

I mean, first off, depends on how you're defining good or bad. If by bad, we mean a carb that triggers hunger and therefore makes eating at the body's TDEE more challenging, then I'd say there are bad carbs for some people.

For example, a bowl of high sugar cereal with milk makes me hungrier than I would've been if I'd not even eaten anything at all. The protein and fat in the milk aren't enough to offset the way my body reacts to the high sugar cereal. That makes weight management much harder for me than it needs to be.

Can anyone recommend a book that's based on recent peer-reviewed research about hormones and hunger? I find it an interesting subject and it doesn't seem discussed much on this board at all. I understand this board's need to stress the primacy of calories, since that's number one in weight, and I get that many posters don't seem to understand that, so this board keeps repeating that message...but that pattern narrows the scope of nutrition discussion so much.

Satiety tends to be a very individualized factor, many here report finding carbs to be hunger inducing (or at least not hunger satiating) and tend to find fat satiating. Some prefer high protein to stave off hunger, some are volume eaters, some are satisfied with a small taste of something they crave. It is talked about, though maybe not it's own topic, and I'm sure you'd get some good responses If you started a thread in food/nutrition or maybe even debate (since typically that's where the more rigorous science discussions occur). CICO is immutable though, and largely when a person comes to these boards with misconceptions it is that they've been led to believe it's something other than calories that are most important for weight loss.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

Satiety is variable by individual, though. Not everyone would react to that bowl of cereal with milk in the same way that you do, so calling it "good" or "bad" isn't accurate for everyone. (For example, going low-carb makes me feel awful. I wasted a lot of time and made myself miserable trying something that is all wrong for my body because everyone on the internet said it was "good" for me). It's absolutely fine (and encouraged) to use the longer explanation and say that you don't eat carbs that make you feel hungrier, but it's not helpful (especially for newbies) when we use shorthand and instead just say "that's a bad carb."
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Food isn't inherently good or bad. Do they have different effects on satiation, yes and its individual.

For ME assigning good/bad to food caused this chain reaction...

I eat cupcake which I assign as "bad"
    I FEEL bad for eating a "bad" food
    Now I AM bad for eating a "bad" food
    I might as well just eat all the cupcakes

Now I know I have a set amount of calories I can eat. A cupcake isn't bad nor good its just not super satiating for me and it won't stick with me long. So I know I have to plan for these types of foods whats worth eating often and whats worth eating occasionally.

And restricting foods causes me to overeat on them later so I need to learn moderation. I'm able to moderate by purchasing single servings of sweets/chips etc at time.

Anyway thats just MY experience:)
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Satiety tends to be a very individualized factor, many here report finding carbs to be hunger inducing (or at least not hunger satiating) and tend to find fat satiating. Some prefer high protein to stave off hunger, some are volume eaters, some are satisfied with a small taste of something they crave. It is talked about, though maybe not it's own topic, and I'm sure you'd get some good responses If you started a thread in food/nutrition or maybe even debate (since typically that's where the more rigorous science discussions occur). CICO is immutable though, and largely when a person comes to these boards with misconceptions it is that they've been led to believe it's something other than calories that are most important for weight loss.

Yes, I agree that CICO is immutable and it's surprising how many people are ignorant about calories. So I do understand why members here restate it. I guess I crave more "meat" though bc other issues, like satiety, are incredibly important for weight management.

And yes, I agree that satiety is individualized, but I don't think it's totally idiosyncratic, so it's possible to discuss. People seem to fall into certain camps, as you've said, where their body is more full from different types of food. I don't think that's just some psychological preference (not saying you think that). I think there's science behind it, different hormonal reactions to foods, and I'd be really interested to read articles/books about it.

I love your name btw.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

All carbs (save for dietary fiber and sugar alcohols) are metabolized the same. Amylase breaks down di- and polysaccharides into monosaccharides (glucose, sucrose, galactose). Sucrose and galactose are processed by the liver to become glucose. The glucose is then used to fuel the body.

Where most people say a carb is "bad" is based off glycemic index and glycemic load. If you eat a glass of apple juice, the fructose and glucose within the juice is quickly processed (fruit juice is almost all sugar), which causes a very rapid spike in blood sugar (the pancreas can't keep up with how quickly the carbs are digested). If you eat an apple, the fiber in the apple slows down digestion, which gives the pancreas a bit more time to produce enough insulin for it (thus minimizing the blood sugar spike).

Then again, glycemic index and load aren't perfect. They're based on foods eaten by themselves (like eating an apple versus a fruit salad with some cheese) and don't factor in a person's own level of insulin resistance, insulin-producing capabilities, and digestion speed.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    OP, your recipe sounds delicious. I love roasting vegetables in the oven, but I never think to do it with zucchini so I'm totally going to try it now. Thank you!

You'll find that people here are pretty much supportive of everything except for factual inaccuracies, which is one of the things I really like about MFP. It's a great place to get actual science-based information about health and nutrition, but that's because people are pretty quick to jump on things that aren't true. There are zillions of other sites that will make you scared of bad carbs/toxins/sugar/etc., but not that many places where people will say "isn't it awesome that your breakfast isn't low-carb? Maybe you don't need to worry so much about bad scary carbs and you can just eat what you want and still lose weight."
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a book that's based on recent peer-reviewed research about hormones and hunger?

I can't personally recommend it (because I haven't read it - preaching to they choir and all of that) but you might be interested in David Ludwig's book Always Hungry? He does research in that area and I think that's what his book is about - although looking at the reviews on Amazon it looks like it might by your typical diet book with recipes and the like? I'm not sure.

Another that might be worthwhile is Steven Guyenet's book due out this spring, The Hungry Brain: Outsmarting the Instincts That Make Us Overeat. He's firmly in the (nonsensical to me) hyper palatable/food reward camp but I usually find his views worthwhile even when I disagree. His book is one I'll read.