Help- Lowering my Anxiety med dosage

raven56706
raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
So I have written here before about my battles with anxiety. Well beginning last night I lowered my dosage from 20mgs of citalophram(generic version of celexa) to 10mg. Big for me as Im moving towards not taking anything anymore(which is my goal)

Question I have for you is, what type of side effects do you have and how did you deal with it? Or help soften the blow?

Replies

• extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Can I ask a question? (Well, I'm going to...)

Anxiety and other mental health issues are often caused by a chemical issue in the brain. If you have a history of issues and the meds are helping, why would you want to stop taking them? And yes, if you plan on weaning yourself off of them, it's best done in conjunction with a medical professional--ideally the one that prescribed them in the first place.
    #endthestigma
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Can I ask a question? (Well, I'm going to...)

Anxiety and other mental health issues are often caused by a chemical issue in the brain. If you have a history of issues and the meds are helping, why would you want to stop taking them? And yes, if you plan on weaning yourself off of them, it's best done in conjunction with a medical professional--ideally the one that prescribed them in the first place.
    #endthestigma

Some can be situational. I took Zoloft and Lexapro for many years and after ending a toxic 15 year marriage, I didn't need the medication anymore.

I definitely agree that weaning yourself off under the supervision of a medical professional if the way to go.

I personally did not suffer any side effect when I weaned off as per my doctors instructions.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Running really helps ease my anxiety, a lot! I wish I'd have known this when I was younger, but better late than never. I love running for many reasons but it definitely makes my anxiety much more manageable/bearable. Although I've never taken medications for anxiety so don't know about possible side effects, just ask your doctor. Good luck :)
  • alarmed123
    alarmed123 Posts: 87 Member
    I was taking clonazepam 1mg for years.... well I was forced to quit because I got pregnant lol first 3 months I had huge anxiety attacks and deep depression. Well, had the baby 3 months ago and haven't gotten back on my meds. I still have a bit of anxiety but it's not like before, I don't want the meds anymore. Maybe it will suck balls in the beginning for you but, the feeling won't last forever. There's a light at the end of the tunnel.