Meatless everyday

Options
It wasn't necessarily a New Year's resolution, but I decided to (mostly) give up meat. At first I just wanted to cut back, but now I want to forgo meat altogether. I know some ways to get protein (eggs, Greek yogurt), but I think I need help filling th void. I like bean burgers, Boca burgers, and all, but I loathe mushrooms, a common meat substitute.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has black bean taquitos, which are a pretty good deal in terms of protein and satiety per calorie. They also have a cheese called Unexpected Cheddar, it melts deliciously on the taquitos.

Siggi's Icelandic yogurt.

Indian food is wonderful and delicious, and often very caloric. You can go to any Indian restaurant and get a good vegetarian meal. I like paneer tika masala.

Do you like fake meat, or no?
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Nutritional yeast sounds kinda gross, but is actually quite tasty in some contexts.

Put it on popcorn, the butter holds it in place, it's delicious.
  • steingrunnen
    steingrunnen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This video helped me out with nutrition.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Beans and lentils. My usual ones are black beans, red lentils, small red beans, green mung beans and northern beans.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Beans, lentils, grains, tofu, tempeh. Don't rely on meat substitutes it's expensive and pretty salty and don't look at eggs and dairy as main sources of protein, vary them.
  • pslindeman
    pslindeman Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I tried Tofu 15 years ago didn't have a favorable opinion back then - I'm not a meat eater & was hoping to try it again - any recommendations on good Tofu?
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the Beyond Burger? It's getting rave reviews.

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-08%20at%203.58.39%20PM.png

• ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    pslindeman wrote: »
    I tried Tofu 15 years ago didn't have a favorable opinion back then - I'm not a meat eater & was hoping to try it again - any recommendations on good Tofu?

I don't think you can go wrong with Wildwood baked tofu. They have several flavors.

They're like $5 a pack though. Trader Joe's has a thai-flavored baked tofu for a few bucks cheaper. A block of plain tofu is the cheapest option but you'd have to learn how to prepare it. I've never had success with that.

Wildwood_Teriyaki_Tofu_4354168.jpg
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    pslindeman wrote: »

Press it and flavor it. I like tofu scramble, baked tofu, fried tofu, it's my favorite food now. Of course you can buy tofu already pressed and seasoned like wildwood or nasoya to save time, I keep one on hand usually in case I'm ultra lazy, but honestly to start with raw tofu to prep it and cook it takes no longer than raw chicken.
  • reginakarl
    reginakarl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Try using garbanzo flour for making falafel or flat breads. I'm learning how to use it now and there's many recipes.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    As a "mostly" vegetarian (I eat the very occasional fish), I don't even miss meat. I will occasionally have a black bean burger or even a fake "chick'n" pattie, but I don't think ever meal "what can I replace the meat with?" I eat LOTS of beans, lentils, quinoa, try to eat plenty of dark leafy greens, and some nuts. I consume VERY little dairy, but I don't feel like I'm lacking in anyway. Change the way you think about going meatless, and you may find it far easier. Don't think about what you're missing, because you really aren't missing much.

As for tofu, it's all in how it prepared. I like it marinated and baked best. Otherwise, it has to be steaming hot and fresh for me....i.e., if I get something with tofu while out to eat, I won't take leftovers, because I hate the consistency once it's reheated. But there are lots of ways to prepare it that are quite tasty. I love a good tofu scramble!