Help

Options
I've done MFP before And I've been trying not to count lately but that hasn't been working so I'm back. I had a good run of a couple weeks before. Sometimes I psych myself up so much that I'm discouraged before I barely even get started. I figured new year, new start. I'm so worried about being at my goal. I had a home made delicious smoothie this morning and a Greek salad for lunch but I'm already at more than half of my calories for today. It's only the afternoon, dinner is so far away and I'm so hungry. I feel like I may be psyching myself into thinking I'm hungry. I'm ridiculously stressed about this. I've rambled so much. I'm sorry, but help!

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Help with what?
  • LillysMomma09
    LillysMomma09 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    When I first started it was all thought consuming for me.
    That will pass, Pre-logging helped me to not feel that way.
    The program works if you do it. promise.
    Good luck to you!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk, it will take your mind off food and give you extra calories for some thing you fancy later on.

You know you don't have to eat salad and drink smoothies don't you? Porridge or an omelette etc might be more filling for you.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    For right now, drink some water, then drink some more water, and if you're still hungry, eat a light snack. If you go over calories at dinner, it shouldn't be enough to set you back significantly. Agreed that when you just start out it's hard not to obsess and think about food all the time, but hopefully that will pass.

For the future:
    1) Is your calorie goal reasonable? I'd hazard a guess you set up MFP so it gave you 1200 calories, which is too low for a good number of people on this site.
    2) A smoothie and a salad wouldn't keep me full very long. I prefer solid, denser food and balanced macros. Play around with your food choices and your macros - more protein? more fat? - until you feel satiated.
    3) Pre-logging is a very, very helpful thing to do.
  • lperry1725
    lperry1725 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk, it will take your mind off food and give you extra calories for some thing you fancy later on.

You know you don't have to eat salad and drink smoothies don't you? Porridge or an omelette etc might be more filling for you.

I know. Salad was because it was leftovers from dinner last night. Smoothie because it's easier for me to throw together and drink on the way to work.
  • lperry1725
    Options
    Help with what?
    Help with not obsessing over food.

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    lperry1725 wrote: »
    Help with what?

In addition to the other suggestions, some people have success with chewing gum to ward off the hungries.

Are you sure your calorie goal is not too aggressive?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Help with what?

Get some professional help
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What is your goal for loss per week? Consider changing to .5 per week. It will give you more cals and might be more doable for you.
  • missteena88
    missteena88 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Help with what?

You need to be keeping your mind busier and make sure you're drinking enough water. I have the same problem; when I'm bored, I just eat and constantly think I'm hungry.
  • mdavis440
    mdavis440 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone on here. Drink lots of water, exercise, eat calorie dense foods including protein. Also check to make sure your calorie goal isn't too low. I preplan my day the night before and it helps me stick to my goals and keeps me full. Oatmeal and eggs are great for breakfast and will keep you full until your next meal. You will be ok, your body needs to adjust and so does your mind
  • desean24
    desean24 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A strong thing to remember is snacks play a important role in a healthy diet! Breakfast should be a large meal, if you are ranging for 1200-1500 calorie intake divide 5meals by 1200-1500. This is roughly how many calories you should consume in a meal. Simplicity is key, eat what you like in a "pyramid scheme" diet. Follow the servings, know your serving sizes for Carbs,Fat,Protein.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    desean24 wrote: »
    A strong thing to remember is snacks play a important role in a healthy diet! Breakfast should be a large meal, if you are ranging for 1200-1500 calorie intake divide 5meals by 1200-1500. This is roughly how many calories you should consume in a meal. Simplicity is key, eat what you like in a "pyramid scheme" diet. Follow the servings, know your serving sizes for Carbs,Fat,Protein.

What? Meal timing and frequency is personal - you can eat however many meals you want at whatever time suits your needs and lifestyle.

I usually don't eat breakfast, saving my calories for later in the day - I prefer eating a lot at night, and train at night, so it works for me. I eat 2-3 meals at the moment. When I ate lots of mini meals I was rarely satisfied, always thinking about food and my next meal, and was hungry a lot.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options

This is a very personal thing. I would be constantly starving if I did this. Snacks just make me want a bigger meal.
  • lperry1725
    Options
    For those of you saying eat dense food. What would be some examples?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Some people might feel satisfied with foods that have more calories for weight. Like having a small amount of quinoa or beans with a meal instead of a mountain of lettuce. Or adding sufficient protein and fat.

I have huge salads of low cal vegies, but also include plenty of protein, and food fats (eggs, cheese, avo, nuts, seeds etc...that provide bulk, unlike oil that is "invisible" to me)

You could choose higher carb vegies/grains, add more protein (it often helps with satiety) and fat
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Peanut butter
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

^ Not this. Meal timing is irrelevant, as is the number of meals you eat in a day. Eat in whatever pattern is best for your personal preference, don't fall victim to broscience.
  • ajaysharma316
    ajaysharma316 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    try chewing a sugar free gum, and stay busy in some activity. Chewing gum helped me a lot when I start calorie counting.