Intellectuals

Options
I am doing everything short of getting a degree to learn about the human body and how it works. I'm looking for individuals who realize that for change to happen in your body, it must first happen in the mind.

I am looking for individuals that don't believe in the simple "calories in, calories out" logic.

I am looking for individuals who are trying to change their life, not go on a diet.

I am looking for individuals who are on safe and healthy diets and exercise regimens.

Ultimately, I am looking for individuals who would find me worthy enough to include in their weight loss journey.

I'm not even asking you to care about me; I want the opportunity to care about you. I want to know your weight and I want to see your diary. I am no nutrition or fitness expert in any way, but I know that experience is the best teacher. With the right people, we could learn so much together.

Even though it may not seem like it, I would love to hear from individuals with different views of nutrition and fitness, as long as you HAVE views of nutrition and fitness (as opposed to MFP hearsay or MayoClinic copypasta). I'm actually on the fence with "Eating back calories," but I haven't been on MFP for too long. I've had the app for a while, but I just started being active in the MFP community (I didn't even know this existed).

What I'm not looking for are people who eat right or exercise just because it's the right thing to do. There's nothing wrong with doing the right thing, but my mission in life is happiness. If working out didn't make me happy, I wouldn't do it. I WAS happy at one point, not working out and eating what I want. Now, I'm happy working out and eating what I want, but my "wants" are different.

If you are this person, please add me. If you want to be this person, please add me. To all who read this: I wish you well on your fitness and health endeavors!

Replies

• AnneMK5
    AnneMK5 Posts: 110
    Options
    I have definitely come to believe in being educated about what I am putting into my body and the effects it's going to have. I enjoy sharing with other what I've learned and what is working for me. And learning the same from others.
  • ladyerin79
    ladyerin79 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I read your post, and you are my new hero!! I'm sending you a friend request right away... I need friends like YOU! Thank you for your motivation! :flowerforyou:
  • takemeaway10
    Options
    It is starting to consume me. People say, "Well, if our not losing weight, maybe you're gaining muscle," so I wanna know how long it takes to gain a muscle.

People say, "100 calories consumed and you'll go into starvation mode," so I wanna know exactly what must one do to go into starvation mode and how long it takes. There's nothing wrong with not knowing, but we really should be seeking answers if we're going to be treating our bodies right.

Don't we do the same with a car? Learn how our specific model works so we can give it exactly what it needs, or be forced to pay for costly and, possibly, preventable repairs?
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    Hi! I love that your doing so much learning about diet & exercise - I started reading a few books but lost interest and was doing pretty good without it, so I've kind of slacked off. If if promise to do more, will you be my friend? :flowerforyou:

Love the idea of weight loss starting in the mind first. One of the books I started reading was very helpful in that regard even though I only got through a few chapters. I think it's one of the reasons I've done so well recently. That and recognizing that I needed to ease into these changes gradually in a way that works for me.

i do believe in calories in/calories out but only if it's in a way that that I can live with and make work in my life. I'm over the fad diets and 'magic cures' - I know it comes down to numbers and what I can make work for me.

I'm not so good with 'diets' - as soon as my stomach hears diet, it makes me hungry all the time. :grumble: So, yeah, I'm here for a life change.

You sound so totally worthy of including in my journey, and hopefully mine in yours. What a great post!

I'm no expert either, but I have done enough reading to have a reasonable idea of what's healthy and what's not, I just keep working at trying to implement it in my life and to learn what works for my body and my LIFE.

Yes, the support and knowledge of others on here is GREAT! And more is always better!

Oh, and working out does NOT make me happy, never has, fear it never will, but I'm working at it as I recognize that I need to DO more to BE more healthy and to look and feel better. But losing 20 pounds in the last 3 months has done wonders for making the rest of me happier! (Just not so much when I'm exercising - maybe you can help me with that?)

I'm sending you a friend request - hope I passed the test! :laugh:
  • takemeaway10
    Options
    Hi! I love that your doing so much learning about diet & exercise - I started reading a few books but lost interest and was doing pretty good without it, so I've kind of slacked off. If if promise to do more, will you be my friend? :flowerforyou:

Love the idea of weight loss starting in the mind first. One of the books I started reading was very helpful in that regard even though I only got through a few chapters. I think it's one of the reasons I've done so well recently. That and recognizing that I needed to ease into these changes gradually in a way that works for me.

i do believe in calories in/calories out but only if it's in a way that that I can live with and make work in my life. I'm over the fad diets and 'magic cures' - I know it comes down to numbers and what I can make work for me.

I'm not so good with 'diets' - as soon as my stomach hears diet, it makes me hungry all the time. :grumble: So, yeah, I'm here for a life change.

You sound so totally worthy of including in my journey, and hopefully mine in yours. What a great post!

I'm no expert either, but I have done enough reading to have a reasonable idea of what's healthy and what's not, I just keep working at trying to implement it in my life and to learn what works for my body and my LIFE.

Yes, the support and knowledge of others on here is GREAT! And more is always better!

Oh, and working out does NOT make me happy, never has, fear it never will, but I'm working at it as I recognize that I need to DO more to BE more healthy and to look and feel better. But losing 20 pounds in the last 3 months has done wonders for making the rest of me happier! (Just not so much when I'm exercising - maybe you can help me with that?)

I'm sending you a friend request - hope I passed the test! :laugh:

I recently started the C25K and it makes me happy because it the right amount of challenge for me. I'm doing things that were previously impossible in my mind. I should probably be playing "Eye of the Tiger" when I work out :P You don't have to be happy with every moment of your journey, but the good should definitely outweigh the bad!

Sending me a friend request is all you needed to "pass the test!" I'm learning so much from being here, it's only fair is I'm able to share the wealth of knowledge!
  • 1derwhy
    1derwhy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I absolutely DON'T think that "Calories in/calories out" makes you lose weight. I'm convinced that it is much more complicated than that because the body isn't a combustion engine. I also think 90% of diet advice is a pile of stinking horse poo. Sifting through that to find the golden 10% is the hardest thing I've ever done. The hardest part is to realize that several anecdotes (which is just a story about something) does not equal hard data. Anecdotes sell diet books and get-thin-quick pills, but they don't actually help you lose weight. Make sure you notice that little (*Results not typical) hidden somewhere in the fine print.

Everyone's body is different. What works for me might very well fail for you. For my body to lose weight, I have to be constantly aware of what I am eating, and log it consistently every day. (Shonasteele, I totally agree that weight loss has a very strong mental component!) I can see a difference in my weight loss depending on how much sleep I get at night, my hormonal cycle, and my stress levels. I know it's not Cal In/Cal out because when I'm paying attention, I eat 1800 a day, every day, without fail.

By using MFP every day, every meal, I can see exactly how much I've eaten and exercised, and (most importantly to me) WHAT it is that I ate. If I'm not obsessive about it, I will convince myself : " I'm doing just fine, I don't need to track my food!" and that "Oh, I know how to eat!" and what really happens is that I forget what I've eaten during the day and assume that I'm doing just fine staying within my calorie range. When I do finally sit down to enter my calories, I'll discover that I've actually consumed 2500 - 3000 calories in one day and 720 the next. It's crazy!

What I concentrate on is eating a low-salt diet and it really helps for me to use pre-packaged meals to help me control calories. That's a bit of a problem, since most packaged meals are VERY high in salt. Somehow, I manage! (hah!) I discovered that when I eat a lot of salt - even if it's the same number of calories I ate yesterday - I can gain as much as 3 lbs overnight and it takes weeks to drop back off.

I exercise because when I'm done, I feel so much better. I sweat and groan and curse and get angry that I can't do some of the exercises because my body is in my way, so I power through the ones I _can_ do. When I'm done, I'm warm and glowing and I can feel my muscles and I feel a sense of accomplishment that makes me happy. When i walk on my treadmill, I fire up the Netflix on the laptop and watch episodes of fun old TV shows while I walk, and having some private "me" time makes me happy. When I walk with the dog, we have a great time together, and stop at the playground for some off-leash fun for both of us.
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    I recently started the C25K and it makes me happy because it the right amount of challenge for me. I'm doing things that were previously impossible in my mind. I should probably be playing "Eye of the Tiger" when I work out :P You don't have to be happy with every moment of your journey, but the good should definitely outweigh the bad!

I started C25K a couple of months ago but only did a couple of days as my knees were killing me! I couldn't risk doing any damage to them at the time as I've been preparing to do a 60 km (40 mile) walk for breast cancer next weekend. I'm actually kind of looking forward to trying it again after the walk and seeing how I do with really challenging myself.

I also discovered Zumba a few months ago and can honestly say it's the ONLY exercise I've found that I actually ENJOY! That's been a huge help, but I haven't been going as much lately so I really need to get back at it.
  • takemeaway10
    Options
    I absolutely DON'T think that "Calories in/calories out" makes you lose weight. I'm convinced that it is much more complicated than that because the body isn't a combustion engine. I also think 90% of diet advice is a pile of stinking horse poo. Sifting through that to find the golden 10% is the hardest thing I've ever done. The hardest part is to realize that several anecdotes (which is just a story about something) does not equal hard data. Anecdotes sell diet books and get-thin-quick pills, but they don't actually help you lose weight. Make sure you notice that little (*Results not typical) hidden somewhere in the fine print.

Everyone's body is different. What works for me might very well fail for you. For my body to lose weight, I have to be constantly aware of what I am eating, and log it consistently every day. (Shonasteele, I totally agree that weight loss has a very strong mental component!) I can see a difference in my weight loss depending on how much sleep I get at night, my hormonal cycle, and my stress levels. I know it's not Cal In/Cal out because when I'm paying attention, I eat 1800 a day, every day, without fail.

By using MFP every day, every meal, I can see exactly how much I've eaten and exercised, and (most importantly to me) WHAT it is that I ate. If I'm not obsessive about it, I will convince myself : " I'm doing just fine, I don't need to track my food!" and that "Oh, I know how to eat!" and what really happens is that I forget what I've eaten during the day and assume that I'm doing just fine staying within my calorie range. When I do finally sit down to enter my calories, I'll discover that I've actually consumed 2500 - 3000 calories in one day and 720 the next. It's crazy!

What I concentrate on is eating a low-salt diet and it really helps for me to use pre-packaged meals to help me control calories. That's a bit of a problem, since most packaged meals are VERY high in salt. Somehow, I manage! (hah!) I discovered that when I eat a lot of salt - even if it's the same number of calories I ate yesterday - I can gain as much as 3 lbs overnight and it takes weeks to drop back off.

I exercise because when I'm done, I feel so much better. I sweat and groan and curse and get angry that I can't do some of the exercises because my body is in my way, so I power through the ones I _can_ do. When I'm done, I'm warm and glowing and I can feel my muscles and I feel a sense of accomplishment that makes me happy. When i walk on my treadmill, I fire up the Netflix on the laptop and watch episodes of fun old TV shows while I walk, and having some private "me" time makes me happy. When I walk with the dog, we have a great time together, and stop at the playground for some off-leash fun for both of us.

I missed this last night! I'm discovering the same thing about sodium, You can't "burn it off" like you can with the macronutrients. As par as packaged foods go, I am trying to make my own packaged stuff: prep meals/snacks, then freeze them.
  • daisyelaine
    daisyelaine Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Oooh, I like you!! I too am at a place where I'm making a lifestyle change-- diets don't work. I try to eat as basically and naturally as easily possible, so that my kids ( and I ) KNOW where our food is coming from. And I know that being active has got to be something I enjoy, or it just ain't gonna stick. And, the more I do it, the more I enjoy it, rather than it being because I " have" to. A good walk, bike ride or sweaty workout does so much to clear my head, and I know that I'm doing it for ME. And lastly, if I'm not willing to deal with the emotional and mental crap that got me this size in the first place... nothing is going to change.

Friend request sent!!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    well, my focus has gone away from weight loss to fitness. if focussing on dieting had worked for me before, i wouldn't still be fat! i used to put so much pressure on myself to eat 'right', then when i did not lose any weight after several weeks of eating salad i just used to eat whatever i wanted! i never found any exercise that i enjoyed, and it all just felt like constant drudgery and i was miserable.

fast forward to now- my goal is to get fit and run a half marathon. my diet has stepped into line almost naturally because i need to eat well to fuel my body in order to run better and further. i eat back most of my exercise calories when i feel like it- i listen to my body alot more now. if i'm full and still way under on cals, i'll have a smoothie to boost my intake up. if i'm over on cals and i'm still hungry, i'll eat something good and healthful (rahter than chocolate or chips!!). but the food diary is really good to keep an eye not just on cals consumed, but all those other bits like sodium and fats, etc.

another important thing (i think) is that as this is a lifestyle change, allow flexibility in there. enjoy the odd horrifically unhealthy meal and glass (ahem, bottle) of wine;-). eating healthily most of the time with some treats is a good way to be. eating unhealthily with the odd salad does not make you healthy. if you slip up, forgive yourself and move on. i see alot of people berating themselves for having a good time and going over on their calorie intake. having a good time is what makes life fun!

anyway, so that's my 2 cents. if you want a motivating friend, add me.
  • takemeaway10
    Options
    What I don't understand is why people quit their diets. I understand quitting a job (sorta) or quitting school... but quitting yourself? When you set the rules? That's just silly. As long as you're breathing, you can do as many "do-overs" as you wish. Even if you binged for a week... just start where you left off!
  • lerachase
    lerachase Posts: 11
    Options
    Been reading this thread and I think its awesome. I'm new to this site myself and so far I have found it amazing, and the people on it even more so. So many times I have tried to loose weight for all the wrong reasons, and it never works. In the end it just ends.

I think people quit their diets because they're just that, a diet. A four letter word filled with shame, guilt, and the burden of responsibility that if you need it you've already done something wrong. Like you said in your first post, the mental aspect of weight loss is so very important, as it is whenever you're trying to make a change. The general social mental mindset I've found around dieting, especially in our culture, is brutal. Especially if you're going into it with the wrong, or at least not the right mindset.

There is a book on this matter I think you would find interesting. It's not about dieting, but about self-directed change. It's a text I read a while ago in a psych class about cognitive-behavioral change (yes, I'm a psych major over here). It deals not only with the aspects of making a change in your life (no matter what kind) but the pitfalls one can encounter along the way...all based on well respected and documented research.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    You have the right attitude, plus Happy is good! It definitely requires more than just "in vs out." We have been prepping meals and portioning and freezing them for later. It makes grabbing lunch in the morning so much easier because I know the portions and the calories are good and the prep is healthy. We are slowly cleaning our food up. Very little processed anymore and working closely with the doctors to make sure we are doing the things that enhance our health and removing those foods that hindered our health. Good luck on your journey, sound like you are on the right path.
  • takemeaway10
    Options
    Been reading this thread and I think its awesome. I'm new to this site myself and so far I have found it amazing, and the people on it even more so. So many times I have tried to loose weight for all the wrong reasons, and it never works. In the end it just ends.

I think people quit their diets because they're just that, a diet. A four letter word filled with shame, guilt, and the burden of responsibility that if you need it you've already done something wrong. Like you said in your first post, the mental aspect of weight loss is so very important, as it is whenever you're trying to make a change. The general social mental mindset I've found around dieting, especially in our culture, is brutal. Especially if you're going into it with the wrong, or at least not the right mindset.

There is a book on this matter I think you would find interesting. It's not about dieting, but about self-directed change. It's a text I read a while ago in a psych class about cognitive-behavioral change (yes, I'm a psych major over here). It deals not only with the aspects of making a change in your life (no matter what kind) but the pitfalls one can encounter along the way...all based on well respected and documented research.

Well, that's just dandy because I took a Psych class as an elective and I've been wanting to write a blog about Maslow's hierarchy of needs, self-efficacy, and some other technical psych-stuff that related to weight loss. Awesome!