CALORIE COUNTING ON LCHF

Options
Okay, although I have a significant amount of weight to lose I have been thin in the past. (4 years ago). Gained roughly 70 pounds in 4 years. I have tried losing weight on numerous occasions but obviously I haven't seen it through. The ONLY time I have been thin and I mean only (even when I was a child) was when I followed a very low carb diet. I did not count calories whatsoever. In fact, I would probably eat take out chicken wings once a week, chicken caesar salads (minus the croutons)etc. My point being very high calorie foods with tonnes of fat. The weight did indeed fall off and I was never hungry. Once I got in the swing of it I never craved carbs. I am looking to restart this lifestyle as I am do not even recognize myself in the mirror and I am tired of my feet/back hurting etc. It has gotten out of control and has to stop. I see a lot of posts of LCHF diets only working if you stay within your calorie restriction. I am positive I ate more than my fair share of calories before and lost weight. Is anyone else out there feel calories are not as important to track as are carb intake? I am eager to hear thoughts and opinions please.

Replies

• Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting on lchf was difficult for me, but very worth it. It got tedious logging every last tablespoon of olive oil and garlic clove and diced pepper - but the upside was that I became very aware of what I was putting in my stomach, and more importantly how much. The meal prep wasn't bad at all and the meals themselves were delicious.

Another small part to the equation was I only had 14lbs to lose, and the closer you are to your goal the slower the weight loss, for me anyway. Being really in tune with how much of what each day helped a lot.

It was also surprisingly easy to maintain my deficit. Logging accurately is highly recommended.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Okay, although I have a significant amount of weight to lose I have been thin in the past. (4 years ago). Gained roughly 70 pounds in 4 years. I have tried losing weight on numerous occasions but obviously I haven't seen it through. The ONLY time I have been thin and I mean only (even when I was a child) was when I followed a very low carb diet. I did not count calories whatsoever. In fact, I would probably eat take out chicken wings once a week, chicken caesar salads (minus the croutons)etc. My point being very high calorie foods with tonnes of fat. The weight did indeed fall off and I was never hungry. Once I got in the swing of it I never craved carbs. I am looking to restart this lifestyle as I am do not even recognize myself in the mirror and I am tired of my feet/back hurting etc. It has gotten out of control and has to stop. I see a lot of posts of LCHF diets only working if you stay within your calorie restriction. I am positive I ate more than my fair share of calories before and lost weight. Is anyone else out there feel calories are not as important to track as are carb intake? I am eager to hear thoughts and opinions please.

Energy balance, whether you count calories (which counting calories is a tool, no different than a hammer) or not, is still what determines if you lose weight. Different macronutrient can have minor impacts on energy balance (i.e., protein is thermogenic) and some will have impact on satiety (protein and fiber) but in the end, you need to find a sustainable way of cutting calories. How you achieve that is merely personal.
  • snlhaggerty
    snlhaggerty Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I thank you for your posts. I think initially I will focus on counting carbs. If no success calories as well. I agree with the fact that wiping out carbs essentially takes away a lot of the trigger foods. I can eat a whole bag of chips but not a whole dozen eggs if you know what I mean.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
  • snlhaggerty
    snlhaggerty Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you I joined that group.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

If you lost weight with LCHF, you were in a calorie deficit whether you knew it or not. Some people track and log, others don't...calorie counting is just a tool that many people use. I'm not LCHF, but I also haven't counted calories in years...I can easily lose weight if need be by just dropping a snack or changing my portion sizes as needed...logging and calorie counting is just a tool...a helpful tool, but also not necessary either.
  • stevemunden26
    stevemunden26 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think tracking your macros is more important than tracking calories on LCHF. LCHF and low-carb in general is easy to screw up. There are a lot of things that have carbs and sugars in that people just don't realise at first. I have known several people lately who have tried LCHF or similar and are not losing weight, and I've found they are consuming something (often drinks or too much fruit or something packaged) and are probably not in keto as a result.

Personally I find it very hard to consume a lot of calories on LCHF. Since I switched to LCHF my daily calory intake is about 30-50% less than previous. I have felt the sense of hunger is much less when you are in keto. You know you are hungry, but it can be too easily ignored. When I was on a regular diet (not in keto) hunger was painful and very unpleasant - you could not ignore it. You could easily eat more and more carbs and sugars, and of course a little time later blood sugars drop and then you just want more. This doesn't happen so savagely on LCHF.

I have reached my target weight on LCHF now and I have the less usual issue of trying to maintain my weight as I continue to lose weight. I believe this is because I am not consuming enough calories (enough fat!). I find it hard to eat enough, I feel like I am stuffing my face when I don't want it. I am experimenting with my macros to see what works best.

In short, I don't personally think you can overeat fat, unless you are also consuming significant sugars and carbs and thus not in keto (over 50-100g per day).

My current macro goals FYI

Carbohydrates 61 g (10 %)
    Fat 202 g (75 %)
    Protein 91 g (15 %)
  • barni71
    barni71 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've done lchf a few times with a lot of success but I never counted my calories. However, I am doing the diet this week and am also logging my calories to see how many I am actually consuming. I'm well over my tdee both days so far :(
  • midpath
    midpath Posts: 246 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Studies have shown that LCHF people can eat an extra 300 calories extra a day and be on par with others concerning weight loss and maintenance etc. Don't let people talk you into CICO, that is simplifying a complicated process so people don't feel guilty about eating their Oreo's and candy bars.

I have had extreme success with LCHF, primal blueprint in my case. I went from 280 to 165 and when I started eating carbs again I am went back up to 180 in three months.

Science doesn't prove CICO by a long shot. Like they found that people who eat a handful of nuts (which can be 500 calories or more depending on the nut) on top of a regular diet gained no weight.

Eat right and you'll get where you need to be.