Fat grams struggle

Options
It seems everyday i log i am over my grams of fat allowed. Do this require low fat choices or cutting out stuff entirely?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary, but as long as you aren't crowding out other things you need (like protein) or have a medical reason for a low fat diet, it shouldn't be an issue.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It seems everyday i log i am over my grams of fat allowed. Do this require low fat choices or cutting out stuff entirely?

Whichever you'd rather do?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

I would suggest neither. You have two more options: Reducing portions of fatty foods, or allowing yourself more fat, on the expense of carbs.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I've embraced being over my grams of fat lol. But I always prefer just cutting out stuff to a low fat (or low carb, sugar etc) alternative. Plus low fat alternatives tend to be full or sugars or salts to try and compensate for flavor.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    How many grams is your fat set to?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Like janejellyroll said, it probably doesn't matter, and you can set your macros as you like or ignore them.

I think the following are important when losing weight:

Calories

Protein (.8 g per lb of a healthy goal weight is a good idea to preserve muscle when on a deficit, especially important if you are a bit older, as is weight-bearing exercise)

General nutrition (healthy fats, fiber, plenty of/variety of vegetables)

Other than that, barring a health issue, it's up to you. In particular, how many grams of carbs and fat is a personal preference. Some will recommend watching sat fat (I do that myself, keep it generally under 10%) and eliminating artificial transfat (same), but total fat totally does not matter.
  • irshkds6295
    irshkds6295 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My fat grams allowed are 46 grams. I guess it is just set that way based on height and weight wanting to lose. I guess it could be based on being female and my age too
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    My fat grams allowed are 46 grams. I guess it is just set that way based on height and weight wanting to lose. I guess it could be based on being female and my age too

Unless you changed MFP defaults, it's based on your total calories and MFP's default percentage of total calories from fat, which I believe is 30% (but I could be wrong). (If I'm right, that would put your daily calorie allowance at 1380.)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If you concentrate on any macro, it should be protein and MFPs goal for protein is rather low, especially for those wanting to lose weight.

Ideally you want between 1.5 to 2.2g/kg of weight.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I go over my fat grams just about every single day, it hasn't affected my weight loss if thats what you're worried about.
    Besides, 46g is pretty low, going over wont do you any harm.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

That's nothing. Sometimes I am at 100g of fat. MFP's numbers are actually a minimum for fat, carbs and protein. You can go over on either one as long as your nutrition is up to par and you don't go over on your calories.

Fat doesn't make you fat. Excess calories do. Don't stress it.