Gain muscle. Lose fat? Proper calories?

Options
Hi. I have been working out pretty consistently the past few years. But my diet has always been in flux.

Once again I am making a commitment to cut out crap. Essentially stay away from sugar and processed carbs.

I am on a 4 day week plan 2 days upper body. 2 days lower body. Looking to tone not really bulk up too much.

That said I am torn on diet. How many calories should I consume daily. Assuming they come from protein and healthy fats. I want to lose about 10 pounds as well.

I am 5'9" and weigh 177. All
If it regulated to my midsection. So I am hesitant to go over 1800 calories a day even from good calories. All the while going to gym and lifting 4 days a week.

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I'm just beginning but there is a ton of helpful information and folks in this group...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/10118-eat-train-progress
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    ^yes, great group.
    I would eat at least 150 g protein, 50-60g fat, and the rest carbs.
    I'm 5'10", when I was cutting from 170 to 160 I ate 2000 calories.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I'm probably not going to answer much of your question, but a few thoughts from my experience...
    If "cutting out the crap", is not a change you can stick with long term, maybe it would be better to focus on simply putting more whole foods into your diet. I'd had the most success with staying consistent when I do this. If I want a little treat at the end of the day, I'll have it.
    Carbs are important to fuel your workouts too, not just fats and protein.
    If you have a significant amount of fat to lose, focus on that first. It's not very likely you will gain much muscle while simultaneously losing fat. That being said, "toning" is basically just losing fat while maintaining current muscle.
    And finally, calories... I am a 5'1'' female, around 185 lbs. I also lift 4 days per week, and I can lose about a pound per week eating 2100 calories. I would not be hesitant to go over 1800, you probably need well over 2000 for a moderate weekly weight loss. No need to be in a larger deficit than necessary.

• HvymetalMG
    HvymetalMG Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Whats your primary goal? If it's lose fat, set a moderate deficit. I workout 5 or 6 hours a week and similar in stats and I cut around 2400 calories. If you want to gain muscle and lose some fat, then you need to be closer to maintenance and have a good progressive overload lifting program where you can increase volume. But a recomp is going to take more time.
  • HvymetalMG
    HvymetalMG Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I want to gain some muscle and lose fat. Unfortunately for me it's mostly belly fat. The rest of me is decently toned. And I know I can't spot reduce to target my midsection only. So I am not sure what the best route for me is. I know I'm keeping sugar and processed starchy carbs to a bare minimum. So should I just keep eating more lean meat and above 1800 cals a day?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    HvymetalMG wrote: »
    I want to gain some muscle and lose fat. Unfortunately for me it's mostly belly fat. The rest of me is decently toned. And I know I can't spot reduce to target my midsection only. So I am not sure what the best route for me is. I know I'm keeping sugar and processed starchy carbs to a bare minimum. So should I just keep eating more lean meat and above 1800 cals a day?

"Sugar and processed starchy carbs" have nothing to do with it. Those things don't make you fat, a calorie surplus makes you fat. When you're in a deficit, there is no net storage of fat regardless of what you eat, and cutting out particular foods/macros won't remove fat from your body any faster.

Maintain a reasonable calorie deficit, adequate protein intake and a good strength training program. Belly fat is the last place most guys lose it, so be patient and trust the process.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    HvymetalMG wrote: »

If your goal is both and you dont have a timely, then eating around maitenance, getting around 1g of protein per lb and following a progressive overload program will help you reach the goal but i can take awhile. If your goal is to lose the stomach, than you need to cut first but know that gaining muscle in a deficit can make it harder.

Also, you dont need to cut sugar or starches. In fact, the potato has one of the highest satiety ratings outside of protein and fiber. Also take into consideration that carbs in general are anti catabolic and support muscle recovery. The key is getting a balanced diet of whole foods but don't fret if you take in some sugar, etc...

And 1800 is generally low for a male. If you want to recomp, then you should use an online calculator to estimate your tdee and eat around that. Which i suspect is closer to 2600.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    My suggestions would be
    1. Don't worry so much about the sugars are carbs, unless these are your trigger foods that cause you to overeat. focus more on calories and more importantly being at a slight deficit. The only macro I would really worry about is protein.
    2. consider changing your workout..what do you do in your splits? I changed to compound motions and lifts only, squats, deadlifts, bench, shoulder press and rows. Worked wonders in shocking my body after years of mostly isolation exercises.
    3. Log carefully, weigh yourself often and keep working hard. Be consistent

good luck