FInally got a HRM for my wife and I, and could now use advic

Options
After talking to random personal trainers, and hearing small tidbits about heart rate zones, etc. etc. My wife and I could use some help to maximize our performance while doing cardio, and other exercises.

Quick History:
I'm currently 262-264lbs (Originally 330). My goal is around 220lbs.
I am 6"3', and 30 years old.
My wife is currently around 132lbs (Originally 165). Her goal is to be around 110-115lbs.
She is 5"6', and 30 years old.

Most of our current weight loss is due to diet changes. Mostly just calorie counting. We've been, off and on exercising over the last year, but recently have begun exercising 4-6 times a week, for about 30 minutes a day. (started a few months ago.) I've been primarily focusing on cardio. (as all we've got is a treadmill, a stairstepper, and a weight lifting machine that I don't really fit in hieght wise.) She's primarily been focusing on a excercises focused around a few small weight and an exercise ball. (one of those big ones she can sit on.) I have definitely done more cardio then she has for the last month or two.

Now, she and I just did a test run on a fat loss program on our norditrak 3000r's. Basically this program takes you between a 3.5mph with an incline, then occasionally has you go @ 4mph for 1 minute without an incline. Here were our stats according to our new Polar FT4's.

My stats:
Duration : 00:30:32
Calories : 486
Average : 148bpm
Maximum: 173bpm
In zone: 16:14
Zone limit: 124-162 (default from HRM after putting in my stats.)

Wifes stats:
Duration : 00:30:05
Calories : 296
Average : 157bpm
Maximum: 179bpm
In zone: 00:08:13
Zone limit: 124-162 (default from HRM after putting in her stats.)

I can tell u definitely that most of the time spent out of the zone for my wife, was spent above 162bpm.

Can you give us any advice how should we tailor our workouts? Should we be concerned about how high our bpm is getting? (We've heard you can begin to burn muscle @ a certain point.)

To lose more weight shouldn't we be trying to stay around 130-140?

Thanks

Replies

• yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    My heart rate is usually that high while doing cardio. As long as you aren't in pain it seems to be fine. I think you'll find that at 130-140 you'll spend forever working out to burn a few calories.
  • JayHesker
    JayHesker Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been using a HRM for about a year. I have a Polar FT60. Basically, those zones are very rough estimates. Everyone is different. But just getting started, they will work just fine for now. I'm 30, so I'm close to the same ranges. You really want a good mix of different intensities. I know, as you do, that in the beginning, it's easy to ramp the HR up very high, very fast. This is because your whole system that feeds blood to your muscles is still underdeveloped. As your heart gets stronger, your stroke volume, or the amount of blood pumped with each beat, will increase. Also, with high intensity interval training, your body will respond by building more capillaries into muscle tissue so that it can keep up with the muscles' demands.

I would recommend mixing it up. Don't just run. Don't just bike, Don't just climb stairs. Don't just do long, steady jogs. Don't just do high-intensity interval training. You gotta get a little of it all in order to whip your cardiovascular system into shape.

As you get stronger, you'll see that it takes longer to get the heart pumping above 150, and also that when you stop, your recovery time is much shorter. You'll also notice a resting heart rate that's much lower. Instead of 85 or whatever it is now, you'll see sub-60 BPM rates, as I do now after a year.

In short, hang in there, work hard, and change it up! Good luck!
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    the gym machine I use does that...but my HRM tells me what BPM % im in and for how long......Is this your Polar telling the results or the machine??? Do you guys have a chest strap with the Polar ??
  • 4KidFather
    4KidFather Posts: 134
    Options
    I used a HRM in a similar manner for a year. I now get better results by going ALL OUT. In 20 mins I have increased my endurance by doing a series of sprints at 110% rather than figuring out some theoretical zones. I also toned up a hell of a lot quicker too.
    Needless to say I don't need a HRM any more, and I work out less.
    Bonus :)
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I went to my doctor and had her give me my zone numbers. I also have a Polar FT4 and the numbers it gave me were way too high. I have a resting heart rate between 54 and 70. I had to put them in manually. It had my zone starting around 130 or 140 and it all I can do to get my heart rate up that high. I just naturally have a lower heart rate. My doc based it not only on my height and weight, but also my resting heart rate.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    the gym machine I use does that...but my HRM tells me what BPM % im in and for how long......Is this your Polar telling the results or the machine??? Do you guys have a chest strap with the Polar ??

Yes a Polar FT4 has a chest strap. I have one. I love it! I even use it in the pool!!
  • Gsc122
    Gsc122 Posts: 36
    Options
    The polar is.and we do have chest straps.
  • av8rblond
    av8rblond Posts: 140
    Options
    I also had a hard time sorting out the "how" of this whole becoming a fitter me as well. I worked out like a fiend wearing my HRM and didn't seem to get the results for the work I was putting in. I have since discovered HIIT and I love it. It has made all the difference to me! The most bang for my buck..this is my humble opinion...I am usually a low of 135 and a high of 150..occassionally I am at 180 for 20 or 30 seconds while at the peak of HIIT.
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    the up and down incline is not going to keep you in a even percent level for calorie burn.....For example: I do the elliptical and go to incline my heart rate goes up to 80% maximum for a certain amout of minutes...then it goes to down to no incline my heart rate goes down....to keep your heart rate up to 80% when the incline goes down you go faster to keep it up....I dont have the polar HR but on my HRM I can view what % I am at and if I see it to start going down below 80% i go faster....just make sure your wetting the chest strap where the sensors are (spit not water) and you have the chest strap where it needs to be and doesnt move down or out of place when you exercise......Im not sure if Im answering your question...but here is a link for Target Heart Rate...it includes a calculator and also explains it all...I hope I helped.
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/target_heart_rate.htm
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't really worry to much about the zones. I have the FT7 and I'm hardly ever in the fat burning zone.. I'm always in the fitness zone and I've continued to lose weight.