Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    studiog608 wrote: »
    Starvation mode
    wwe.bodynutrition.org/starvation-mode/

MKEgal...Read it. Then read it again.

Still and again....no.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0004377

Well-designed study using indirect calorimetry and double-labeled water to measure EE. Caloric intake was controlled about as closely as possible without putting test subjects in a metabolic ward for the duration of the study. Metabolic adaptation for CR subjects was 6% larger than what could be accounted for by the loss in metabolic size. Six percent.

Does downregulation occur? Yes. Does it stop weight loss and make you "hold onto fat storage"? Absolutely not. That's ridiculous woo and has been proven over and over again to be false.

Interestingly enough, the link wasn't too bad in terms of information, but it can be easily misconstrued to the knowledgeable observer. It equals starvation mode with adaptive thermogenesis and how over time, the body will down regulate metabolism to compensate for prolong periods of calorie suppression. In turn, you TDEE would reduce so if you don't adjust intake based on a lower TDEE, you would plateau.

To combat it, it recommend higher protein intakes, resistance training, and diet breaks. What is doesn't say, is what the studiog is suggesting.
  • studiog608
    studiog608 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    We can agree to disagree.
  • michellechristianclay8184
    Options
    Hi

Sorry didn't mean to cause so much conflict! Maybe I am loggin my food incorrectly? I'm selecting things from the list that's on there. Not sure how to create my own manual entry. I'm 5.1 and weigh 141lb but wanted to get back to my normal weight 119lb. I don't know how you open your diary but I took a picture of today to show you. 2hlkada89q4l.png

Just like to say thanks for all your responses

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    to open diary
    settings>diary settings>scroll down the page and select diary sharing public - this will allow people to review your log
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Did you not have any milk with your Weetabix? To get the best results from MFP, you need to log everything you eat.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi

Sorry didn't mean to cause so much conflict! Maybe I am loggin my food incorrectly? I'm selecting things from the list that's on there. Not sure how to create my own manual entry. I'm 5.1 and weigh 141lb but wanted to get back to my normal weight 119lb. I don't know how you open your diary but I took a picture of today to show you. 2hlkada89q4l.png

Just like to say thanks for all your responses

You eat dry cereal with no milk?
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    @michellechristianclay8184 what about drinks? Juice? Smoothies? Those fancy coffee drinks? Soda? Milk?

Please please please open your dairy!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    those few screenshots do not provide enough information.
  • tawnyd24
    tawnyd24 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I wish I had that problem with under eating:( Definitely fit a few more healthy snacks in to keep the metabolism going.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    So you gained an unwanted 22 lbs which on someone who is 5'1 can be a lot. However, if you were previously eating enough to gain the weight then being on a legit 1,200 calories/day wouldn't feel very much like too much food. So I would suggest that you aren't logging properly and that you might still be eating more than you think.

As others have probably suggested - make sure you are very, very accurately logging as you might be eating more than you think. Also, you have a smaller room for error than I do - as I'm 5'10 and weigh just over 250lbs so I naturally need more than you each day to keep going. I still need to lose about 70lbs but I also eat just under double what you do every day at 2,250 calories.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Most likely you are eating more than you think. It's really not possible to be eating 800 cal per day and gain weight. Especially when you're first starting out it's really important to log and weigh everything at least to get a basic idea of how much your intake is.

If you log one serving of cereal, but in reality fill an entire bowl and eat it, you could be off by hundreds of calories just in one meal.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    If you're overweight, eating when you're not hungry makes NO sense whatsoever. Cramming more food in just to reach a number dictated by mfp and overriding your own body's natural signals, is just absurd. Listen to your body!

Kay, but no.

I eat 6 x a day and I'm hardly every hungry but I just eat. By the time you physically feel hunger pains it's too late. I subscribe to the theory that by consistently eating small amounts of food you are asking your body to always be digesting which burns calories.

I also feel better when I eat 6 x a day and I'm not hungry than when I wait until I'm hungry, have a huge meal because my brain is telling me to eat all the things and then I feel like crap because I'm so full. People who are overweight actually benefit more from eating small amounts, multiple times a day even if they aren't hungry because it trains them to not eat huge meals when they're starving. Being hungry sets your brain into a mode to eat everything in sight, even though you logically know it's way too much food. I consume less now by eating more frequently than I ever did waiting until I actually felt hungry. I don't think your advice is healthy.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    tawnyd24 wrote: »
    I wish I had that problem with under eating:( Definitely fit a few more healthy snacks in to keep the metabolism going.

Your metabolism doesn't need snacks to keep going. it can be helpful to keep you from becoming ravenous and overeating by the end of the day though.
  • michellechristianclay8184
    Options
    Yep I think you guys are right I've not been logging the milk in my cereal and cups of tea! I don't know how you open your diary for others to see though? I find it hard to know what to select for example if I made had home made spag Bol it can vary on there from 900cal to much less :( I don't even know how much would come too! I guess it's a bit of trial and error.

Many thanks :)