Non-Food Rewards - What are your favorites?

Options
Hey guys! I'm just getting back started again with MFP **Add Mee!!**

I am trying to come up with non-food rewards for my mini-goals and big goals.
Current weight: 371.8
Mini-Goal #1: 350
Mini-Goal #2: 325
Big Goal #1: 299!!!! (Not my final goal...)

What are your favorite non-food rewards? I would especially like some that do not cost too much money! haha But I'm also open to ones I need to save up for.

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Wow 21.8lbs is a huge goal, I'd set 10lbs max before rewarding yourself.

Get your hair or nails done
    Buy a killer pair of heels, my favourite :D
    New hand bag

• erosemiller314
    erosemiller314 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Wow 21.8lbs is a huge goal, I'd set 10lbs max before rewarding yourself.

Yeah, I tend to set pretty big "mini" goals mostly because I have soo much to lose. hahah If I rewarded myself every 10 pounds that would be a lot of rewards! lol
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try a charm bracelet. I've not used extrinsic motivation before, but as I plan to lose slowly, I think it might help me to keep going. Because I'm already at an ok BMI, I'm rewarding every kg.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite inexpensive rewards is to buy the next book in a series I love to read every 10 pounds. Paperbacks aren't that expensive. Or I'll pick up a bottle of the nice nail polish. Or if I've lost enough to be a smaller size pick up a new shirt or something.

OR. You could put a few dollars aside every time you hit a goal, $5 every 5 pounds, or something, and let it add up to get something big and fun.

I use big scale goals to get rewards so I can work on fitness goals. 50 pounds down for me (plus Christmas cash from mama and daddy) means I get a pair of running shoes, and I will be starting c25k. Which will get me some kind of fun (~$100ish) thing.

Completing a fitness challenge (10k steps every day for 6 weeks) earned me a new bed set for my room.

Depends on what you like, how you want to divide it up, and how much money you want to spend.
  • lexhillman5
    lexhillman5 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started at 167 and my first main goal was to stay in the lower 150's. i was sitting at 154 for quite a while, and I wanted a tattoo. I told myself I would get the tattoo - when I saw a 140 number on the scale. BUT... I set the appointment right when I made the decision. So I guess you could say I set that reward that I wasn't going to back out on, and I set a goal to be to that number by the time of the appointment. I did it and a couple weeks before my tattoo I saw 149 on the scale. I found that my reward really motivated me because it was already set! (I gave myself a month and a half)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I agree about having smaller goals so you get rewarded more frequently.
    Even with your starting weight, it's going to take a while to hit those 25lb goals.
    How about 10 lb? And as you get closer to a healthy weight reward 5 lb losses.

New earphones
    Cute socks
    Bubble bath (& give yourself permission to soak!)
    Shower gel that you only get to use at the gym
    Pack a healthy picnic & head to a state park you haven't explored before, go for a nice hike or bike ride
    Hair cut or color or new style
    Go fly a kite
    Is there a piece of art you've been wanting?
    Massage (if you have a school in your city, they often have student clinics that aren't expensive)
    Music
    Tickets to an event (concert, play) - might be for a major milestone depending on cost
    Take a parks & rec type class you've been wanting
    Something to do with a hobby you enjoy but don't spend enough time on (and give yourself time for it!)
    I like the idea of the next book in a series
    Also like the nail polish idea.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have a bulletin board where I post all my race ribbons.

I blogged my first NSV (recovered before I slipped on the ice) and blabbed it to all my friends for months.

Chamomile tea. I'll say non-food as it is practically zero.

Clothes shopping.

Bubble bath.

Dance of Joy.

https://goo.gl/images/IJK4o7

Selfie.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I really like the charm idea. One for every ten pounds. Pandora has nice charms and jewellers make cheaper imitations that will fit on their bracelet.

Ten pounds is major. If you don't believe me go pick up a ten pound bag of potatoes from the store.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Shoes, clothes, nice make up....things that make the new me look even better as it emerges.
  • Eash84
    Eash84 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    -I like craft stuff like cross stitch so I'll get a new pattern or supplies.
    -Go to a movie.
    -Something fitness related like a water bottle or top.
  • dark_sparkles37019
    dark_sparkles37019 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    A pedicure would be a nice reward..
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,967 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I rewarded myself by doing the things I had trouble doing when I was heavier ... like cycling up a mountain, and cycling a 400 kilometer event in 24.5 hours. :)
  • erosemiller314
    Options
    Eash84 wrote: »
    -I like craft stuff like cross stitch so I'll get a new pattern or supplies.

Oh I love crochet! I could get more yarn every 10 pounds! I wouldn't mind doing that with small goals...
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I like to use fitness-oriented rewards. New workout clothes, signing up for a more expensive exercise class than I normally would, buying a weight set for home, etc. I also plan for fun nights out at the meaningful bigger goals. When I reach the weight I was when I met my spouse, I'll buy a new outfit and we'll have a splurge date night. Looking forward to that one. :)
  • CrabbyCancerMama
    CrabbyCancerMama Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    my 50lb reward was new shoes. I didn't do anything for my 75lb goal but need to plan something big for my 100lbs (19lbs to go for that one yet) I've been wanting to try one of those sensory deprivation tanks so that might be mine. Other ideas are massage, spa day, mani/pedi, new workout clothes, running shoes, zip lining, one of those group panic room escapes would be fun, paintball,
  • zeldon919
    zeldon919 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I've thought a lot about this for myself. My goals are bigger, a mix of 10% down (rounded, OCD) and key milestones (ex getting below 200lbs).

My personal opinion (it's a hard journey and I'm not judging what helps anyone) about the small goals above is that little things that make you happy shouldn't be rewards, just things that make you happy. Stress is a big issue, so if something helps you relax or brings you joy (crochet, bubble baths, reading) just do it. It has more benefit to you as that than as a carrot on a stick.

I'm thinking bigger things, that I wouldn't normally do, or that don't really benefit me in a significant way (pure pleasure or indulgence):
    -a mani and/or pedi or other spa treatment
    -a bag or pair of shoes you love but that are wildly impractical
    -a nice indulgent meal at a really good restaurant.
    -A luxury beauty product (think MAC makeup instead of drugstore brand).
    -You like to crochet, so instead of wool every 10lbs, maybe that fancy yarn you've never dared get in the past (I've seen some alpaca wool that is just pure pleasure to touch) for a more significant goal, or some other fancy crochet related things (my knowledge of yarn craft is limited).

My reward for creating a consistent fitness habit will be joining the good gym near my house.
    If I meet my goals for the year (roughly 40lb down and a solid fitness regimen) I want to plan a beach vacation for the end of the year.
    At some point, when I've gotten down to my maintenance weight (not sure what it is yet) and stayed there for a while I'm going to get a really nice really good leather jacket, the kind that costs a fortune but lasts forever and improves with age like cheese.
  • Misnomer971
    Misnomer971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Great thread idea! I've only recently started thinking about rewards, and so far they are all scale-related:

After 44 pounds: reactivate my online dating profile (27 down, 17 to go...)
    After 74 pounds: visit friends in Hawaii
    After 103 pounds: TBD

Of course, there will also be new clothes along the way! :)
  • erosemiller314
    Options
    I love so many of these ideas! You guys are awesome!