hummus recipes?

Options
chris6515
chris6515 Posts: 131 Member
I have made hummus, added garlic, parsley, greek yogurt for smoothness to my canned and drained chick peas. What do you all do to add some kick to your hummus?

Replies

• purplecait1212
    Options
    Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce! (the come in a can by the mexican food)

I puree the can contents, and then add a little at a time to the hummus until I get the flavor I want. It is so good! We always make it for parties to dip veggies in, and it is always gone!
  • winneau
    winneau Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I make mine in the blender with just drained canned chick peas, some of the liquid from the can, a splash of lemon juice, cumin, coarsely chopped garlic cloves, and crushed red pepper flakes :) Yum!!
  • crystalmichelle82
    Options
    oooh ooh, me! I have this one and its definitely a show stopper!

Smoky Hummus
    2 cans of chick peas/Garbanzo beans
    6 sundried tomatoes (drained, but I usually buy from Schnucks and there is no draining needed when you buy in the bag in produce section)
    ¼ cup fresh lemon juice (or bottled lemon juice is fine)
    2 cloves of fresh garlic
    ½ cup of fresh cilantro chopped
    ¼ cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
    1 (7 oz) marinated roasted red pepper (can be found in a jar in the pickle section)
    ½ cup of water
    ½ tsp salt
    Fresh ground pepper to taste
    1 ½ tsp cumin
    1 chipotle pepper, preferable in adobo sauce (can be found in a pop top can in the aisle at schnuck’s w/ different ethnic seasonings)
    2 Tbsps extra virgin olive oil

You will place the garbanzo beans, water, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, chipotle pepper, garlic, and cumin in food processor or blender. Add the red peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, cilantro, salt and pepper. Pulse the mixture until ingredients are coarsely chopped into the hummus base. Transfer to serving bowl.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce! (the come in a can by the mexican food)

I puree the can contents, and then add a little at a time to the hummus until I get the flavor I want. It is so good! We always make it for parties to dip veggies in, and it is always gone!

that sounds amazing!!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Try making hummus with black beans, lime juice, cumin, garlic and a bit of tahini. Wonderful change to the regular chick pea hummus (which I do LOVE).
  • TJtastic
    TJtastic Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump
  • scottaolszewski
    Options
    Being a Chef when I made it I did use Tabasco and use it sparingly. I never had with yogurt but it sounds good.
  • scottaolszewski
    Options
    That sounds good and definetaly a change of pace
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    Try making hummus with black beans, lime juice, cumin, garlic and a bit of tahini. Wonderful change to the regular chick pea hummus (which I do LOVE).

I love black beans - thanks for the suggestion - I will definitely try this!
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    I was at my sisters house and she bought some hummus that was cucumber/dill flavored. I thought about trying to make something similar for a change of pace too.
  • goofynat
    goofynat Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Bump - Hummus
  • chelsea_carter22
    chelsea_carter22 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Songbird146
    Songbird146 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I wish I could remember the recipe that my mother in law told me. It was unique lol. It called for peanut butter. It was good but different lol.
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I like the Shape magazine recipe for Spicy Red Pepper Hummus. It's on their website. Basic hummus with roasted red peppers, tabasco (or Crystal--my fav!), and kalamata olives.
  • hildatok
    hildatok Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello: here's my recipe. In a blender mix canned chick peas, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, a bit of tahini. Once hummus is in a plate, dribble a bit of olive oil on it.
  • BeckyS32
    BeckyS32 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The earlier post for Smoky Hummus is my favorite hummus recipe. I have made it a few times. It makes a lot but it is so great to have in the fridge. I use either veggies or pita chips for dippers. It is also great to take to work or a party so that you know that there will be something good that you can eat!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump