Struggling to get back on wagon after Xmas break

Options
Argh! I did not see this coming.

I've always been good at taking a little break and getting straight back to it. So when Xmas came around I told myself I could have a week off and smuggly assumed I'd be right back to it.

Over Xmas I ate what I wanted...I didnt go crazy but I just relaxed and had treats when they came up.

But I've been trying to eat at definite since Friday and every day I just go way over. Yes I am aware only I am in control of what I eat. I'm not a beginner. This isn't my first rodeo. I have spent all day feeling hungry and have just shoved my kids left over baked potato (covered in butter and hummus) into my face.

I'm so angry. I found this easy before Xmas. Now a few days off and it's like I can't control myself?!! I even tried just eating at maintenance over weekend but I still went over.

How do I jolt myself back into deficit mode and give myself a shake?!! I'm 3 stone down but I still have at least 2 stone to lose before I'm healthy. I cannot stop now. And at this rate I'll be gaining weight not even maintaining.

Any kind support welcome x

Replies

• gabbyo23
    gabbyo23 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    bogwoppt1 wrote: »
    Try pre-logging your food for today and tomorrow, and stick to it. I find that really helps at times like this.

Thank you. Good advice but I do already pre log 2-3 days on advance x
  • tress29
    tress29 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    It's a lot easier now that all the Christmas candy has been consumed!
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat was off for 2 weeks for the holidays and over ate a lot. Now that the big meals, drinking & treats are over with hopefully I can get back on track. Today I'm back to work, I logged all my food and so far I'm doing fine.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    once the xmas goodies are gone, its easier. pre logging helps. as does prepping your meals ahead of time. account for a snack or two if you think you might need it. log accurately, even the bad stuff. seeing it few days in a row usually gets me to pull myself together ;)
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I think you're just going to have to take a few days to adjust. It's going to be hard at first, but just eat within your calories and after you are out of calories, you are out of calories.

• Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Next time you feel hungry, drink a glass of water. If you are still hungry after that, eat something healthy & low calorie like an apple or some carrots.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If you find it difficult to reduce the calorie intake right now, try increasing the calorie burn instead. Just some simple exercise like walking for a few minutes each day might help.
  • NicoleMarie2486
    NicoleMarie2486 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing and am struggling getting back into my old routine...
  • daworley
    daworley Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    One of the things that has helped me is getting back to working out. I did serious workouts all weekend and feel like my old self again. It is truly difficult, I know from too many past experiences. Start with working out and go from there. I know you will get it...makes me think of Our Lady of Weight Loss..all is forgiven, move on!
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    You came back and logged. That is a massive success! How many people do you think took a holiday break and haven't logged a bite since? Cut yourself some slack and keep logging. You will find your way back on to the track.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    I hear you on mindlessly eating kid leftovers. A mfp poster said what she does is think about how unhygienic her kids are and how germ infested their food must be. That gave me a good laugh but it does make me think twice before scarfing.

You've done it before. Just take it one meal at a time... "I will eat the lunch I logged and worry about the rest of the day later." Go through the right motions and your head will catch up. It's just a matter of time (and probably only a couple days). Press on!
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    You came back and logged. That is a massive success! How many people do you think took a holiday break and haven't logged a bite since? Cut yourself some slack and keep logging. You will find your way back on to the track.

This. I'm just now, after several very "eat all the food" days, getting down to almost maintenance calories. And even that's been hard -- reminding myself that this isn't an overnight thing, and getting back to my normal slowly isn't ideal, but it's better than not having tried at all.

For me, a lot of the issue is having my routines messed up. Maybe look at patterns that help you keep your calories under control?
  • gabbyo23
    Options
    Well...I crashed and burned again today. I actually binged. Why can't I pull myself together????

I'm so upset that I'm failing NOW when I'm SO close!!! 11 more lbs and I'll be a healthy bmi. Another 6lbs after that and I'd be my "happy weight".

Why is this happening now?! After 4 months of success. I know only I can change it. I am responsible. But every morning I wake up ravenous, craving everything in sight and feeling completely unmotivated and miserable and not at all ready to try hard at anything.

I tried eating maintenance...failed.
    I tried going back to my deficit as normal...failed.
    I tried switching to 5:2...failed after 2 hours!!!
    I even tried 16:8 but I couldn't make it the full 16.

I'm just so fed up now. I don't know how to get myself back in a good place.
  • gabbyo23
    Options
    I'm laughing at myself for giving you advise because I've been in your shoes more times than I can count.

My latest trick to get me back on track is to "binge" on protein for a few days. I start my meal with a large protein serving and then eat some veggies, but no grains or potato or sweets or anything high glycemic. I don't count calories. I treat myself to steak and rotisserie chicken to my heart's content.

This way of eating is just temporary and helps me recover from feeling out of control with my eating. Protein and lots of water and the fiber from veggies heals my system somehow, and gets my cravings back under control so I can be at ease with what my wise brain wants me to eat. My childish brain stops it's tantrum because my blood sugar isn't continually spiking and plunging from eating the wrong foods.

Put all the treats left over from Christmas in a box and put it on a high shelf in the garage. Or give it all away or throw it out. You don't need the temptation right now. It's not that you can never have it again. You just can't have it now while you're healing.

Thank you this is helpful. I will try upping my protein tomorrow. X
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Today's a new day.

I've been doing this for 3 years and I still need to take it one day at a time. I focus on what I can do today and that's it. Yesterday is gone and I'll think about tomorrow when it comes.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I went overboard and before yesterday had not been to the gym in two weeks. One of the instructors at the gym told me yesterday she thought something happened to me because I had not missed that many days in the four years that she has been there. I will be turning 50 in less than a month and need to get back into the swing of things. Hopefully this is temporary for both of us. Today is a new day let's start here. Good luck