Weighing Spaghetti

Options
How in the world do I weigh a serving of spaghetti...

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I use a bowl on the scale and weigh it raw.
  • mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I stand it in a glass and weigh it raw.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I put the pan on the scale and reset to zero, insert raw pasta. For spag I go 75g per person
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    If for whatever reason you cannot log the weight raw, use the USDA entry on MFP for cooked pasta/spaghetti.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    What others said, pan of some sort ion the scale, add pasta.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    56g dry on the scale is a listed serving.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    weigh in dry and then cook; if you are making for more than one person, weigh however many servings you want out. then when its cooked, weigh and divide by number of servings
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I weigh it dry then cook it.

When I'm making more than one serving, I weigh it dry and cook. Then I weigh the cooked weight and divide by the number of servings to get my one serving cooked weight.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,120 Member
    Options
    I lay it across the scale dry to weigh before cooking since the weight after cooking will depend on how much water is absorbed which will vary from batch to batch. Not a huge difference, but I try to be a accurate as I can be.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I weigh it dry then cook it.

When I'm making more than one serving, I weigh it dry and cook. Then I weigh the cooked weight and divide by the number of servings to get my one serving cooked weight.

This. But I will say, after doing this a lot, the cooked weight is almost always 3X the dry weight (or close enough not to worry about).
  • docdrd
    docdrd Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    The side of the box tells you how many servings in a box and tells you the calories associated with a serving. So take that amount and then you have it. And if you are taking multiple servings (for yourself or making the box for your family), you have to estimate portion size. I find it hard to do, but try to guess conservatively (meaning I add calories to my own consumption)
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Feel free to call me crazy but I weighed mine raw, counted the number of strands and then when serving mine out (as was cooking with my OH's portion who eats tons more) I then counted out my strands. 29 if you're interested!! :D

I wouldn't normally be this ridiculously strict but am getting back on the bandwagon.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I weigh it dry. For that matter, I weigh pretty much everything uncooked.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    One day I weighed one serving uncooked, cooked it, and then put it in a measuring cup. It came out to a slightly heaping unpacked one cup measuring cup full of pasta. From that point on I have always just served it out cooked that way, though I do weigh it out beforehand when determining how much to cook for the family.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I just put the dry pasta on my food scale. Although, this isn’t quite as simple if you’re cooking for more than yourself. I got these awesome little portion baskets on Amazon (I’ve seen them at other stores, too) that help me if I’m cooking for more than me. I can put my portion in a little basket, hook it to the side of the pot, and put the rest of the pasta in the pot. I have a couple of these, so I can also use one to steam some veggies in, or make myself additional portions to use as lunches/leftovers. That way, I know my own portion size, but don’t have to make an entirely separate batch from the rest of the family’s.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Y3B8RO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    mskimee wrote: »
    I stand it in a glass and weigh it raw.

al261c68i91j.jpg
    I never thought to use a glass. That's brilliant, that is.