From Walking a 5K to Running a 5K - Tips?

Options
caramel827
caramel827 Posts: 163 Member
edited January 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi! Short summary I lost 110 pounds from July 2015-September 16 with MFP and a few months in added Fitbit. I do not regularly work out exactly but move more and monitor that I'm getting in my steps.

This has led to me walking a few 5Ks which is huge for me because I always profess that I don't care to exercise and yes I've tried to find things that I like and all that seems to be is walking right now.

Well I now have the desire to run one. I'm jus Tony sure how to start. I've seen the Couch to 5K all, online tools etc but wondered if anyone would be willing g to share ideas on how to best transition to running so it is a slow transition and i don't feel like I failed like the first time I don't finish a race (if that happens).

Thanks in advance!
PS: Also trying f to decide the best running shoes to get as well feel free to share that too!

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I walked several 5ks too while on my journey to lose 148 lbs. About a year ago I did c25k and at the end of the summer ran all of the 5k event that was the first one I walked 2 yrs earlier. You have a great start with your walking. Just do c25k, the slower transition is built into the program. Don't forget more than 3x week, I did only 2x because that earned best for me along with my other workouts. Repeat days or weeks as needed until you feel comfortable at that level.
    Also, Go to a running store & invest in Some good shoes fitted by an expert. Everyone's foot and needs are different, so just get evaluated for yourself. I love my Hoka one ones-Clifton but that doesn't mean they are good for you.
    Have fun!
  • pslindeman
    pslindeman Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Must have a good pair of running shoes before you start
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Yup, couch to 5k is exactly what you need and ut should start with walking so you should be OK but the one thing to keep in mind is be happy from the outset to repeat a week if necessary, don't let yourself see that as failure, it's just a case of ensuring you're ready to step it up again.

If you can do so then go and have a running shop fit your trainers as the best ones are different for different people as we are not all the same.

My one biggest advice that I wish I had listened to ... don't try and do too much too soon, running 5x a week from not having run before will probably give you injuries. For now, stick to just 3x and keep up your walking in between if you want to.
  • edixon127
    edixon127 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is a great app. You also might be interested in the Runner's World five step beginner program. http://www.runnersworld.com/the-starting-line/

But definitely head to a running store and get fitted for shoes. I started running in an old beat up pair of Nikes and dealt with numbness in my feet and ankles every time I ran for months.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    C25k. Don't worry about races yet, but if you can walk 5k you're never going to not be able to finish a 5k - unless you're injured.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I like my Asics Gel running shoes.
  • EauRouge1
    EauRouge1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Yes, C25K. That's how I started and it really does work. Get decent running shoes and if you do continue running then I would get a gait analysis in case you need support shoes. Go a million times slower than you think you should, so many people think they 'can't' run because they go too fast and can't keep the pace up. Not many people finish C25K by doing a 30 min 5k. Worry about speed later, just concentrate on running the distance to begin with.

Good luck! Hope you enjoy it, it's really helped me a lot both mentally and physically.
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Well done on the loss. I've started C25k, and I've also signed up to parkrun. I don't know if they have that where you are but when I get a bit more confident I can have a regular 5k in a relaxed place.

I think just taking it steady is the key, even when I was finding the C25k difficult I was noticing my stamina/fitness improving in other areas. Don't be afraid to repeat a week. Also I don't think you'll need to worry about a DNF unless you push too hard and hurt yourself!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    C25K, Personal Running Trainer through Amazon or any other run/walk transition program would work. Truth be told you don't NEED a program. After a surgery, I started walking, Doctors orders. As the length of my walks increased, up to three miles, while on a vacation on Cape Cod, I, after a 15 minute walk, broke into a slow jog for a half mile. Then walked a half mile, run a half etc. One thing led to another and I ended up doing several 5Ks and then a Half Marathon. Slow, steady, keeping track of you well being and comfort level and anything is doable. that having been said, get the program. It's easier to keep on track when someone is telling you what to do.

Find a running store, find the shoe that feels the best and get those. Recs. of others, although helpful, cannot pick your shoe for you. We are all different. I like the Asics Gel Nimbus/Cumulous.

Above all, Enjoy the Run.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    C25K is the best answer. Here's my advice:

1. Do the run segments slowly. Even if you are running at the same speed you would walk, it doesn't matter. Getting into running is about building endurance first. Speed will come later.
    2. Repeat weeks if you don't feel ready to move on. When I was successful with the program, I repeated several weeks. When I tried to push through was when I got overwhelmed and gave up.
    3. You will hit a wall at some point. Persevere. Running is as much a mental game as it is a physical game. I hit a wall every run at 2 miles even when I was regularly running 5+ miles at a time. It sucks for 5-10 minutes and then it passes. Keep going, you can do it!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Aerobically, I can jog for several miles - however my knees cannot take it. It took me several tries to get through a C25K program because of knee, shin pain. After a few years, I finally noticed that it was specifically the jogging gait that my legs couldn't handle. I can run and walk just fine, but my knees will not take jogging for long.

I now run/walk (and have for several years now), making sure that my run intervals are no slower than 10:00/mi (slower than that for me generally means I'm starting to use a jogging gait which always leads to knee pain for me). On average, it is a lot faster than my earlier (and painful) slogging attempts. My most frequent medium distance non-race ratio is 3:1.

-Something to keep in mind if knee pain becomes an issue for you. Otherwise, C25k does a pretty good job of building up the distance you can run/jog. As mentioned before, you may need to repeat some of the harder weeks (I did) before moving on.
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    A learn to run 5 km is a great way to start. My advice, go slow when it comes to increasing speed and distance, I've overdone both and have the injuries to prove it, when I have followed a program including rest I have not had injuries.

Many places have learn to run groups which can be fun too.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    caramel827 wrote: »
    Hi! Short summary I lost 110 pounds from July 2015-September 16 with MFP and a few months in added Fitbit.

^^^THAT^^^ is amazing. :) Congrats!

Just echoing what everyone has said. C25K or another beginner running program and proper shoes from a real running store. Good luck.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    C25K is the best answer. Here's my advice:

1. Do the run segments slowly. Even if you are running at the same speed you would walk, it doesn't matter. Getting into running is about building endurance first. Speed will come later.
    2. Repeat weeks if you don't feel ready to move on. When I was successful with the program, I repeated several weeks. When I tried to push through was when I got overwhelmed and gave up.
    3. You will hit a wall at some point. Persevere. Running is as much a mental game as it is a physical game. I hit a wall every run at 2 miles even when I was regularly running 5+ miles at a time. It sucks for 5-10 minutes and then it passes. Keep going, you can do it!

all of this.

I would add - keep your stride short - try to have your feet under you at all times, this keeps you balanced and will help prevent injury. Plus it makes you feel like you are running faster even if you are going slow. slow is a good thing. slow helps build endurance - distance not speed will help you. When I did c25k the first time I saw a 20minute straight run I was horrified. But I slowed right down rather than stop and then have to repeat a week, and the feeling of achievement I got from finishing that was great.

You have done the right thing by starting with upping the walking. And with the weight loss, well done!
  • caramel827
    Options
    This is so much great advice everyone! I am excited and proud at the just the possibility! It is amazing what a difference a focused healthy lifestyle can make I. Terms of our perspective on things!

I really appreciate you taking time to share these tips with me! I read every single one!
  • webrat_jen
    webrat_jen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I use the Zombies, run! app, which i adore. it is like a radio story, motivating you to keep going to hear the end. it also references you as a character, which i find a really interesting narrative tool. The story is fun, and you can walk, run, jog, skip the distance.
    when i started, i found a section of path and tried to jog that, and then walk round to recover, then repeat. then i made there be a longer section, or a second. repeat. you will have days that you manage to progress, and days you might not. even if you have a workout with more walking than usual, you will still be building a good habit, and walking will still have positive benefit.
    the other tip which i can offer is to find your gears. i found it really hard to slow down at first, and tried to run really fast, which of course burned out my energy much quicker than if i was to set myself a slow pace. i made very little progress that way.
    now i use a system where i have walking speed, then 'gears 1-5, where 1 is a low effort, low speed jog i can keep up for miles, and 5 is an all out spirit i use for intervals on a good day (this i only started using to up my workout intensity. if you are just starting, take it easy! not only will it help you build up slowly, but you will be less prone to injuries).
    i would recommend using low gears, i still use gears 1 and 2 mostly, and this allows me to jog for a full 5k. two years ago this would have been impossible!
    have fun!
  • caramel827
    Options
    webrat_jen wrote: »
    I use the Zombies, run! app, which i adore. it is like a radio story, motivating you to keep going to hear the end. it also references you as a character, which i find a really interesting narrative tool. The story is fun, and you can walk, run, jog, skip the distance.
    when i started, i found a section of path and tried to jog that, and then walk round to recover, then repeat. then i made there be a longer section, or a second. repeat. you will have days that you manage to progress, and days you might not. even if you have a workout with more walking than usual, you will still be building a good habit, and walking will still have positive benefit.
    the other tip which i can offer is to find your gears. i found it really hard to slow down at first, and tried to run really fast, which of course burned out my energy much quicker than if i was to set myself a slow pace. i made very little progress that way.
    now i use a system where i have walking speed, then 'gears 1-5, where 1 is a low effort, low speed jog i can keep up for miles, and 5 is an all out spirit i use for intervals on a good day (this i only started using to up my workout intensity. if you are just starting, take it easy! not only will it help you build up slowly, but you will be less prone to injuries).
    i would recommend using low gears, i still use gears 1 and 2 mostly, and this allows me to jog for a full 5k. two years ago this would have been impossible!
    have fun!

I have never heard of Zombies! It sounds like something I would enjoy and I am about to download it as soon as I finish sending this response! I love these boards because you truly learn new things! Like you, two years ago the thought of me considering this would have been comical. It is amazing the shifts our bodies and minds can make almost simultaneously. I am also waiting for the weather to get better! I live in Ohio. While again a few years ago I really detested the outdoors now I am anxiously waiting to have better weather to walk and eventually jog in!! Thanks again for the app! :smile:
  • caramel827
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I started off walking 5-10ks shortly after I began my journey. I did several. Then last year about this time something possessed me to start running! I always hated running. So I started c25k, thinking I would be thrilled if I could get to 1 mile running. I did and kept progressing. By the time I finished the program I could run 40 minutes but did not achieve the distance. In Aug it was time for the same 5k event I that was my first 2 years before, in which I came in last. This time I ran the whole thing and my time was half of the original one. I was 61.

That is wonderful!! I am waiting for better weather- I live in OH and I do not like running in the cold! But I have laid out a plan- 1 mile then 5K! Thanks for the inspiration!!
  • Psyduckfan1
    Psyduckfan1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If I can also chime in: When I ran my first 5K I used an app called RunDouble which has a really good time based program. It starts you out with longer walk than run intervals and slowly builds you up from there.

I also refused to put myself on a time target. It's about the finish line, not the finish time. The medal counts the same no matter what your time is. :)