need some workout advice

Norelec198
Norelec198 Posts: 5
edited September 29 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok, so I've been working out and eating healthy for the past few months. I've dropped nearly 50 pounds and I have been amazed by my results. I haven't hit a plateau yet, but I'm sure one will come. I've been doing a fairly steady routine of 30 mins cardio (about 475 cal burned) plus weight lifting (high reps, low weight for toning) and keeping myself on a 1300-1600 calorie diet. I really would like to keep losing the weight, but also start the toning process. I have bad knees from years of wrestling when I was younger (from 6 to 18) but my legs are in great shape and very strong, so I really don't want or need to focus on my legs. So, what's worked for you guys? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    I've had great results recently from really basic weight training exercises exercising big muscle groups and particularly my shoulders and chest look great. my routine is:
    Squats
    leg press
    chest press dumbells
    chest cable flys
    shoulder press
    lateral pull down
    plank/curls (abs)
    3 x 15 reps for each
    really worked
    best is to change your routine every six weeks don't get into a rut, it will help you get better results as you keep surprising your body, and keep you mentally interested.
    esp with the cardio it easy not to challenge yourself and its easy to keep doing the same thing. use different types of machines. Use the gym staff for frequent advice, really make friends with them and talk about your workouts.
  • 2ht2hand1e
    2ht2hand1e Posts: 116 Member
    As you lose weight, you burn less calories putting in the same exercise effort, in the same amount of time. You will start to burn less and less calories in that 30 minute workout just because you will have less mass to move, and also especially if your body becomes acclimated to your cardio, I would recommend switching up your cardio, and always make small goals to increase your cardio time and effort...If you do hit a plateau, switch things up, make your workout harder, go longer....Also, I have read over and over that you need to tone also. They were SOO right, especially as I got closer to my goal....I try to push myself, but in baby steps so that I feel less like I want to call it all quits. So far,
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    its so annoying, I have found the same thing, you think you are working out a lot but you get fitter and fitter and get less results from getting fitter and still have to really push yourself. Its hard!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Okay, first to dispel a couple of myths. There is no such thing as toning. You are either building muscle or you're not. Low weight, high reps will build the slow twitch muscle fibers that don't have a tendency to bulk up like the fast twitch fibers. Slow twitch fibers are also what is primarily used to do cardio exercises. So, it sounds like you have been focusing primarily on slow twitch fibers and neglecting the fast twitch fibers in your workouts. It's time to go heavier with your weights. I'm not talking body builder heavy, just heavy enough that the last 1-2 of a set of 8-10 reps is difficult to complete with proper form. This will help you bring in those fast twitch fibers so you keep seeing results. Also, adding a little bit of bulk (primarily as glycogen storage in water in the muscle at first), will give you the definition you are looking for in the muscles.

Next myth, that you should skip legs with weights because of bad knees or having good looking legs. Because you said you have knee issues is the number one reason why you need to work them. Strengthening your quads and hamstrings will strengthen your knees so you can do more. I was a wrestler for 13 years myself and have had 2 knee surgeries and 2 other knee injuries. Because of that, I've got arthritis in my knee. If I'm not diligent with my knee training, I can't walk. Literally. But if I'm diligent with my leg training (specifically lifting heavy and doing some single joint rehab type stuff with my normal leg day workout), then you can't tell by looking at me that I have anything wrong. I teach kickboxing. I teach step aerobics. I squat 300 pounds for 6 sets of 12 reps (I actually don't workout with that weight, I just do it in the gym when there is a muscle head who needs to see that he's a wimp in comparison to this old lady. :laugh: ) My point is that a previous knee injury doesn't have to hinder you. But if you train the knees you can do any workout you want.

As for my suggestions, I've already given you the weight and rep recommendations. I'd suggest doing a split so that you do weights daily with your cardio. You can split it up to upper body one day and lower body the next or you can split it by muscle group. Do your weights before your cardio so you get more fat burning from your cardio. (Yes, you can firm up the muscles and lose fat at the same time, it just takes the right training.) Be prepared that you may be losing fat and storing glycogen and water so you don't see weight loss for about a month when you start training this way. That's normal. I'm not worried about the scale, I'm focused on firming and shaping muscle while burning body fat and the scale doesn't know the difference.
  • Thanks for the advice everyone! I really do love this site, I don't think I would have been able to come as far as I have without it, it's been a great tool in my new lifestyle and I recommend it to everyone I know who is trying to get fit :)
  • Felesina1
    Felesina1 Posts: 142
    Tonya,
    Do you have suggestions for legs/knee strengthening? I've developed issues with my knees to where I'm unable to hike/ski down hill; and now am starting to have troubles with stairs. I've been to PT x 3 and had a first round of cortisone injections in my knees. My MD said to never never do weighted leg extensions because of my knees. I do work out with a trainer and he had me doing squats (various types), leg press, calves, weighted knee flexion machine etc? I'm just wondering if you have an suggestion as I don't want surgery, but want to hike/ski again.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    Tonya,
    Do you have suggestions for legs/knee strengthening? I've developed issues with my knees to where I'm unable to hike/ski down hill; and now am starting to have troubles with stairs. I've been to PT x 3 and had a first round of cortisone injections in my knees. My MD said to never never do weighted leg extensions because of my knees. I do work out with a trainer and he had me doing squats (various types), leg press, calves, weighted knee flexion machine etc? I'm just wondering if you have an suggestion as I don't want surgery, but want to hike/ski again.

First of all, I hate MD's who give exercise advice with no training in proper rehabilitative exercise. Second of all, your "trainer" shouldn't have been having you do squats until you build up to them......with weighted leg extensions. Before you do the full version of a leg extension, though, you have to build up to it so that the knee can handle it. The first exercise I would recommend is a 30% leg extension. You use the standard leg extension machine in the gym, but don't do the full range of motion. You pull the pin so it is just the weight of the machine at first. Extend the leg to full extension. Then lower only 30% of the way down. Extend again. Do as many as you can building up to sets of 10. When 2-3 sets of 10 reps gets easy, add 2.5 pounds. (A lot of gyms have small add on weights you can use for this. Not the full first plate, which is usually 10 pounds.) When that gets easy increase again by 2.5 pounds. After you get to where you can use the first plate on the machine (approximately 10 pounds) then you can add in a full range of motion leg extension. Always make sure you start light though with the weight and build up slowly. It will take a long time to get to where you are able to lift even 10 pounds this way. The reason is because it focuses the lever of movement on the insertion points of the quadriceps around the knee. You strengthen the ligaments and tendons this way too. It increases blood flow to the knee, which can lead to swelling at first, but is also providing the nutrients needed to be able to repair and regrow the soft tissues. Yes, you can regrow cartilage. That's something else doctors will say can't happen. I have the MRI's to prove otherwise, though. My doctor was amazed. My strength and conditioning coach at school, however, explained the blood flow thing and how it should have been an expected result with correct long term training.

Some other tips for knee safety while exercising. Always line up the pivot point of the machine with the bend in the knee. If your knee isn't lined up with the pivot point of the machine, then it can cause more damage to your knee from torque to the knee from the improper angle of movement. On squats, lunges, and the leg press machine, make sure your knees don't go past your toes. On the leg press machine is where I see the improper form used the most because people don't realize that it is okay to put your feet on the very top of the foot plate. The feet don't have to be in the middle. They have to be where you need them so that you have the proper range of motion and go to a 90 degree angle of the knee without your knees going past your toes. The knee is designed to work in a specific range of motion at optimal levels. Outside of that range of motion it will function, but it won't be at optimal levels. When you've had a previous knee injury, going outside that optimal range of motion is when you risk re-injuring it. After you've built up strength in the soft tissues surrounding the knee so that they can handle those unusual angles, then you can be less stringent with your form, but until then you absolutely have to watch those angles of movement so you don't re-injure yourself. Also, don't do any of these exercises 2 days in a row, even the rehab exercises. You're trying to repair damage to the knee so the most important thing about your training is allowing adequate time between exercise sessions to repair and rebuild from the exercise. At least 2 days between! Some people need 3-4 days between depending on how they are feeling after the exercise. Don't push too much too fast as that is a good way to re-injure yourself. Good luck!

ETA: I forgot to mention that your trainer in having you do leg curls without leg extensions may have been making your knee problems worse. This is because he was training an imbalance between the quads and hamstrings. I'd ask him where he was educated, too, because certified trainers should know better.
  • Felesina1
    Felesina1 Posts: 142
    Thank you for the information! While at PT, it was noticed that I pronate my ankles, thus I wear inserts to help prevent that. Additionally, it was found that my vastus lateralis bilaterally pulls my patellas out of the groove upon bending of the knees. Moreover, my hips are out of alignment related to chronic back issues, which as you know, affects my knees also. The other day, my trainer had me try the weighted leg extensions with low weight (30#) "just to see" and I noticed immediately that I felt it in my knees and my knees hurt for hours afterwards. I'm pretty leary about getting back on that machine at this point. But being an RN and a massage therapist, I understand the importance in balancing of the workouts. My trainer indicated that squats and other exercises we do works the whole leg and helps substitute for the lack of using the leg extension machine. I'm just at a point that I need someone that has somewhat of an understanding about injuries and illness in relation to working out properly.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    Okay, first, if your vastus lateralis is pulling on the patella, then you need to focus on strengthening the rectus femoris and vastus medialis so they pull it back into normal alignment. While squats will somewhat train the quadriceps, it's not nearly as focused as leg extensions. The 30%'s I told you about with standard form of toes facing straight up will focus on the rectus femoris. You can do something similar with the lower leg and foot turned out to focus on the vastus medialis. There is also a machine for Adductors that will primarily focus on the adductor longus in the inner thigh but will also use the vastus medialis as a secondary mover. Be sure you pull the pin and don't use any weight for them at first though. Just get the muscles use to the movement first and then add weight as they get stronger. If you are still uncomfortable with the machines, though, there are other options you can do without them. You can do the same 30% with absolutely no weight while seated in a kitchen chair and add ankle weights when or a resistance band when you feel comfortable.
This discussion has been closed.