tips on suppressing appetite?

Options
im usually a big snacker, so now that im on a diet all i can think about is food.
any tips on suppressing my appetite? i know drinking a glass of water is supposed to help, but i cant always take down a glass of water in one go, and it doesnt exactly take my sweet tooth away :/
do appetite suppressants work or are they useless?

Replies

• goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I don't think diet pills are a permanent solution, once you quit taking them the weight usually comes back on. I know from experience! I would limit my sweets to few and far between but follow a plant based diet. With the added fiber you will experience fullness and eventually you won't have "cravings".
  • KerrieMac10
    KerrieMac10 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I second the cup of tea!!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    A few things worked for me. One is high fibre foods and the second is exercise. Going for a walk I found often would curb my appetite. I also noticed that if I ate a healthy meal with adequate protein I was less snacky later on. Watch the carbs as they tend to make you want more.
  • sammiewammie444
    sammiewammie444 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    i only like tea with lots of sugar in! i think ill get the sugar substitute that has 1 calorie per spoon and give it a go :)
  • sammiewammie444
    sammiewammie444 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    although tbh im not a big hot drink person. i probably have about 3 cups of tea a year! it also gives me a bit of a stomach ache and i dont know why :/
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I eat every couple hours. I also try and eat foods higher in protein as that is what keeps me full. Greek yogurts, string cheese. Also, light calorie snacks. Not the prepacked junk. I'm talking bags of carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes... Things you can eat a ton of but not get hit hard in the calorie dept.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Regular and decaf black tea give me a tummy ache, too. I've switched to herbal teas and problem solved!
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I would say find what works for you.

Some people have six smaller meals throughout the day instead of three bigger meals because they find it's easier for them to stay on track that way. Some people plan for and have a morning and afternoon snack everyday.

I found that with me I was often confusing thirst for hunger. I sip on water now constantly throughout the day and that has helped. I also will allow myself a snack if I really am hungry. I try not to go too long between meals and make sure at every meal I am having a good bit of protein to make me feel full longer.

ETA: I also realized sometimes when I thought I was hungry I was just bored. I have found keeping busy helps with that.
  • Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I want to eat constantly. The only thing that helps is a big glass of water with fiber powder in it (1 heaping tsp.) and then I chew a piece of sugar free gum, that switches off the craving somehow because I feel like I had a sweet and then I'm bloated and not hungry from the fiber.
    P.s start slow on the fiber because you will get serious gas.
  • farrell16
    farrell16 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    im usually a big snacker, so now that im on a diet all i can think about is food.
    any tips on suppressing my appetite? i know drinking a glass of water is supposed to help, but i cant always take down a glass of water in one go, and it doesnt exactly take my sweet tooth away :/

A lot of the appetite suppressants like Glucomannan are just fibre pills, water will certainly help but I'd recommend increasing the amount of fibre and protein in your diet as they will help you feel satiated much longer. Sure takign fibre by pill would have a similar effect but just pick up a nice fibre source and add it to your diet... will be much more economical for you.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

You can try the following --
    More protein
    More Fiber
    Caffeine
    Eat a cup or two of veggies or fruit
    Protein Shake
  • megbugs
    megbugs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I always need to eliminate sugar, alcohol and carbs when my cravings get out of control. I'm not the greatest with moderation so when I find myself craving sugar daily and I start to feel more highs and lows throughout the day, I go back to whole 30 or cutting back on sugar (reading all labels).
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    although tbh im not a big hot drink person. i probably have about 3 cups of tea a year! it also gives me a bit of a stomach ache and i dont know why :/

Then drink water. The idea is to distract your brain from thinking your stomach needs food when it doesn't.
  • Sharon909
    Sharon909 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Tea works for me late at night but if you don't like tea then don't force yourself. You definetly have to rethink how you snack.
    -Find substitutes, like pretzels instead of chips and count them
    -add fruit or veggies to everything to fill you up
    -find a way to make a healthy snack feel more decadent, like apple slices dipped in sf/ff caramel pudding, or carrot sticks with Laughing Cow light cheese wedges