tips on suppressing appetite?

Options

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Play around with your macros to make sure you feel fuller for longer (see the comments above for suggestions).

However, you're more likely just reacting from habit rather than true hunger. Keep yourself busy. Distraction is one of the ways that I keep myself from snacking when I know I'm not actually hungry.
  • sammiewammie444
    sammiewammie444 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Play around with your macros to make sure you feel fuller for longer (see the comments above for suggestions).

However, you're more likely just reacting from habit rather than true hunger. Keep yourself busy. Distraction is one of the ways that I keep myself from snacking when I know I'm not actually hungry.

yes most of the time it is just because im used to eating. if i fancied something i would have it even if i wasnt hungry. i tend to find that nothing distracts me. i could be watching my favourite film or tv show and still crave food. its just something im really struggling to change
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I tend to be a snacker too....especially when home all day. I will take an apple or pear and cut it into really thin slices and leave it in a bowl on the counter. Then when I feel like snacking, I'll just grab a slice or two and enjoy. It will usually last me all day. Snap peas are my other go to snack.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Hot tea or coffee helps me a bit.

I'd suggest also trying some dissolvable fiber (like metamucil) in water. They make plain, orange, and berry now. There might even be other flavors. The fiber seems to help a bit.
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I used to be majorly addicted to sweets, especially in the afternoons because I have a work cafeteria with nutty bars, oatmeal creme pies, etc.. I found that only made me crave more of it and led to me binge eating.

I drink teas that have vanilla and spices in them. I don't need sweeteners or anything with it. Also, munching on carrots satisfies my sweet tooth and curbs appetite for awhile. Also, I get these Sweet and Salty trail mix packages from Aldi. 210 calories but it feels like a treat. Good luck. I promise that the cravings get better over time, and even after 3 days of not indulging in sweets, my cravings really decreased.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

yes most of the time it is just because im used to eating. if i fancied something i would have it even if i wasnt hungry. i tend to find that nothing distracts me. i could be watching my favourite film or tv show and still crave food. its just something im really struggling to change

Sitting on the couch just makes me want to eat more.

Try something different. Go for a walk, go shopping, reorganize a closet, take up a hobby like sewing or painting, something that isn't just mindless like watching a show or a movie is what helps.
  • sammiewammie444
    sammiewammie444 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    thanks for the help guys :) i will try what you have suggested
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Also wanted to add, if I intake a lot of carbs I end up craving it and cravings sweets. I'm not on a low carb diet but I try to keep my carbs around 100-125 g
  • Kelseria28
    Kelseria28 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple of recipes for when I want something sweet. They are low-cal and yummy.

Chocolate Mousse (kind of like a frosty): 1 frozen banana, 1 tsp of cocoa powder, and a splash of milk. Blend that up and it is delish.

Microwave Chocolate Mug Cake: 1 tbsp of whole wheat flour, 1 tbsp of white sugar, 1 tbsp of cocoa powder, 1/8 tsp of baking soda, 1/8 tsp of salt, and 1 tbsp of 2% milk. Mix up the dry and then add the milk. Microwave for 2 minutes more or less. Only 142 cals.

You could probably sub in chocolate protein powder to make you full for longer.
  • 44to44
    44to44 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I found that I had to go hungry for a couple of weeks until my stomach got used to eating less - then it got a whole lot easier. (I was eating plenty, but my body was used to eating too much). Also fibre. Lots and lots of fibre.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    For me, craving sugar isn't to do with anything it actually provides or hunger . Eating sweets I crave doesn't satisfy me in the way I always feel it will. (It has taken many years for this penny to drop... )

Realising this I had a real break from added sugar and limited anything that lifts bloodsugar too quickly. It took a few days and some willpower (a quality of which I have very limited supply) but killed my cravings. (It has been like magic) .

While doing this 'cold turkey', I stuck to my calorie allowance but replaced the sugar with 'good' fats and felt satisfied enough to be able to turn down sweet treats without feeling deprived. (Going really low-fat at such a time didn't work for me and just made me crave everything!) It got easier and easier.

I've lost 30lb without much struggle since realising all this last summer and have been like the slim people in my house: able to live with an open chocolate bar in my kitchen for weeks. It is like having turned off a switch. (I so hope the switch has been nailed over. Let us see what the next few seasons bring.)

As posted above - there are many other ways to tackle cravings:

-If you have a habit of eating sweet things in a certain place/time - deliberately make a new habit for those and stick to it... until it sticks by itself.
    -Sorting out your mind could be most useful. (what is it that you really want: rest, diversion, comfort, love...).
    -Keep occupied - or at least keep your body busy. (Exercise/fill your hands/paint your nails)

-If you are actually hungry then filling the space with a drink or shrinking it by tightening your belt can help.
    Best though to avoid being hungry by eating within your calorie count but including filling foods (high fibre - wet things like soup - or slow-digesting ones like raw veg.)
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I have found that apples and cucumbers are my friends on this journey. I take the time to slice them both in small chunks and savor every chunk. It can sometimes take 30 minutes to eat an apple and 1/2 cucumber. By the time I finish, I am no longer hungry. couple that with a glass of water or two. You could also use mini chocolate chips for that chocolate craving. Again, the key is to weigh and log so you stay under your caloric goal.
  • shellyae
    shellyae Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Pop a mint in your mouth, chew on peppermint gum or brush your teeth. Most foods do not appeal to me after having mint. The craving will usually pass by the time the mint flavor is gone.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice above...

I'll add...

Eating a carb/protein/fat with each meal helps ME stay satisfied. Play with your macros to see if you can find a sweet spot.

Not buying the things I tend to overeat on in large quantities (big bag of chips, crackers, sweets). I buy a single serving (not 6 single servings in a box) once in a while.

These small changes helped me.
  • birdtobe
    birdtobe Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I always need to eliminate sugar, alcohol and carbs when my cravings get out of control. I'm not the greatest with moderation so when I find myself craving sugar daily and I start to feel more highs and lows throughout the day, I go back to whole 30 or cutting back on sugar (reading all labels).

^^Totally agree with this. If I eat a lot of sugar and carbs, no amount of self-trickery is gonna get me off the roller coaster that is my blood sugar.

• Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    xxlno wrote: »
    I always tell myself if I am really hungry I can have a can of tuna in water....anytime! It doesn't take long or many cans of tuna for me to figure I'm really not that hungry

This is a bizarre idea but I have a feeling this would work for me! I am going to try it!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Fiber, protein and fat for satiety.

Diet soda for the sweet cravings.

Pickles for the salty cravings.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    You sound bored. Get moving.
  • mike19902010
    mike19902010 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Like what has been said, it's all in the mind. If you know you're not starving. Feeling a bit of hunger is natural. Just go with it, drink plenty of water that will make you feel full. I'm on medication that make me REALLY hungry, I have deciplined myself to only have one cheat day a week, 6 days clean(6 days in the gym). Within those 6 days I feel motivated to eat clean because of the health benefits plus I also feel motivated to eat clean within those 6 days because I know I can reward myself on day 7! It's all in the mind! :)