Stronglift 5*5 Confusion.

Options
unnichaacko
unnichaacko Posts: 116 Member
edited January 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I have just started lifting weight. It has only been two days. I have never lifted weight before except my body weight. So this is quite confusing for me. I have tried asking someone in my gym but he couldn't help me with an appropriate answer.

I have started the Stronglift 5*5 program this Saturday. And yesterday was my second day. I am to start my squat with 45lbs, meaning the olympic bar and progress with an additional 5lbs for each workout the next week, so by 10 weeks I will have to squat with 95 lbs, sounds intimidating since I am 93lbs myself. I have read about deloading when the weights get heavier but that happens for one week only and the next week, you start with full force, reloading an another extra 5lbs.

So my question here is, people who have been doing stronglift for quite some time, when do you stop reloading or is it something you get used to over time?

Replies

• davidcliff
    davidcliff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You get used to it. Are you using the mobile app? If not, I found it helpful to figure out any deloading.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Eventually you might not be able to progress as quickly especially on overhead press. Listen to your body. It's probably a mistake to say "I'll be lifting such & such by x date." It's progressive but everyone is different.
  • unnichaacko
    Options
    davidcliff wrote: »
    You get used to it. Are you using the mobile app? If not, I found it helpful to figure out any deloading.

Good idea. I am yet to start to use it. I should download it before the next workout. So, you progress each week with 5lbs and it continues till?
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Once I got stuck and frustrated with deloading and trying again and failing (it was also dependent on the lift), I switched to a different program. That kind of progression was too fast too furious for me, but I gave it 6 months and went to 5/3/1.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    IMO, it's good to deload every 8-12 weeks, depending on how you feel. But you would definitely be surprised how beneficial a good deload week would be. And it's not uncommon to come back from a deload week to make big progress.
  • unnichaacko
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    IMO, it's good to deload every 8-12 weeks, depending on how you feel. But you would definitely be surprised how beneficial a good deload week would be. And it's not uncommon to come back from a deload week to make big progress.

Also, is it common to get hungrier when you start to lift?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options

It definitely can be a side effect. Increasing protein and fiber consumption can help that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Yes...

Especially a program like SL which is a huge stress on the body and CNS.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

I'm always ravenous after lifting and there seems to be a direct link between how heavy I lift and how hungry I get.
  • scamp07
    scamp07 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, download the app. It will help with the deloading. If you can't complete a set at that day's weight, the app will tell you what to use the next time.
  • arisoh
    arisoh Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Good idea. I am yet to start to use it. I should download it before the next workout. So, you progress each week with 5lbs and it continues till?

I'd like to get an answer to this as well.

I was looking ahead to see, but got so intimidated by the rate of increase. Do you just stay at the current weight, if you can't do the next?
  • unnichaacko
    Options
    Ok so, today was my third workout. It might seem weird but I can't sit properly after today's workout. It's not like I am sore. It's like every time I am trying to sit, my butt hurts, it's like bone pain, feels like there's no padding. Similarly my back hurts also, there's not much to lean on I feel. I am not sure why is this happening but it's quite painful :(
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Ok so, today was my third workout. It might seem weird but I can't sit properly after today's workout. It's not like I am sore. It's like every time I am trying to sit, my butt hurts, it's like bone pain, feels like there's no padding. Similarly my back hurts also, there's not much to lean on I feel. I am not sure why is this happening but it's quite painful :(

Could it be a form problem?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I don't always add 5lbs per workout, maybe per week. If you don't feel comfortable adding weight, or if your form is not perfect, stay at the same weight until it is. Sometimes I add an extra rep per set or one extra set if I can't bump the weight up. I know this is a bit off of the structured program, but I feel it is safer(at least for me).

Yes, it can make you feel hungrier. When I used to lift in the morning, I ate more afterwards just to make it to lunch. Don't seem to get the same feeling from evening workouts. Not sure if its a timing issue or because I've just been lifting for longer and my body is more used to it.
  • unnichaacko
    edited January 2017
    Options

Could it be a form problem?

It just might be the problem. I went quite light headed while working on the last set of my barbell row.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I know that when my form is off, I can feel pain. Bad form for squats or deadlifts I feel in my back.

I definitely agree that you don't need to always add 5lbs per workout - especially if you don't have the form right.

You mention that this is workout three, so if you are starting off with the bar for squats and hit it, then you would theoretically be at 55lbs right now. You mention being 93lbs...that's 60% of your bodyweight. That might be different than someone who is 50lbs heavier squatting the same 55lbs. Before it gets heavier, I would definitely be working on getting the correct form down.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options

Till you die...
    ... well not exactly, the program will have you progressively increasing the loads on all of your lifts until you fail to make the full 5 reps for 3 attempts in a row; as mentioned above, this is where the mobile app REALLY comes in to its own.

Once you hit a failure point (again, prolly overhead press first), you'll try again at the same fail weight, and if you still can't get it up (OK, it happens... or so I'm told o:) ), You'll reduce/deload the weight that you're trying by some factor (10% typically), and get back to where you can lift it for the full 5x5 and begin to progressively increase weight again...

When you return to that fail weight again, your body and nervous system may be able to progress right through your previous stop point, or... you may again fail (OK, you will again fail, just maybe not at this exact weight)...

The next few attempts to continue progress after a fail-deload may be facilitated by slowing the rate of rate increase on the bar (you'll want some fractional weights for this so that you can step-up bar weight by half or full- pound increments if you're using imperial weight; 0.125kg/0.25kgs for metric plates); allowing you to approach this fail weight more slowly to see how far you can go...

Alternately (or even coupled with fractional plates) there are lifting strategies for moving slightly off of the 5x5 protocol like shifting to a 3x5, 2x5, or even 1x5 that can be invoked sequentially for your stalled lift to get you back on the progressive overload path.

All this while, while you're chasing whatever lift (OHP?) has stalled, you'll be increasing weight on all the other lifts, until, inevitably, you'll fail 3-times and begin these deload/reload cycles for each lift in turn...

... at some point, hopefully, you'll be sufficiently progressed to look at other accessory work to possibly help your stalled lifts (again, a nice place where the StrongLifts 5x5 mobile apps comes in handy). You'll either continue to increase your weight in SL5x5, or move on to a more advanced and challenging protocol that will focus on your weak areas or whatever goals you have in mind.

If you've not yet joined (or lurked) there is an excellent group for ladies following the SL5x5 program here (lots of great people and good advice/guidance to be had): http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

(yeah, and get the mobile app -- free is fine, the paid version is affordable and offers additional features to keep you busy for a year or more...)
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options

Till you die...
    ... well not exactly, the program will have you progressively increasing the loads on all of your lifts until you fail to make the full 5 reps for 3 attempts in a row; as mentioned above, this is where the mobile app REALLY comes in to its own.

Once you hit a failure point (again, prolly overhead press first), you'll try again at the same fail weight, and if you still can't get it up (OK, it happens... or so I'm told o:) ), You'll reduce/deload the weight that you're trying by some factor (10% typically), and get back to where you can lift it for the full 5x5 and begin to progressively increase weight again...

When you return to that fail weight again, your body and nervous system may be able to progress right through your previous stop point, or... you may again fail (OK, you will again fail, just maybe not at this exact weight)...

The next few attempts to continue progress after a fail-deload may be facilitated by slowing the rate of rate increase on the bar (you'll want some fractional weights for this so that you can step-up bar weight by half or full- pound increments if you're using imperial weight; 0.125kg/0.25kgs for metric plates); allowing you to approach this fail weight more slowly to see how far you can go...

Alternately (or even coupled with fractional plates) there are lifting strategies for moving slightly off of the 5x5 protocol like shifting to a 3x5, 2x5, or even 1x5 that can be invoked sequentially for your stalled lift to get you back on the progressive overload path.

All this while, while you're chasing whatever lift (OHP?) has stalled, you'll be increasing weight on all the other lifts, until, inevitably, you'll fail 3-times and begin these deload/reload cycles for each lift in turn...

... at some point, hopefully, you'll be sufficiently progressed to look at other accessory work to possibly help your stalled lifts (again, a nice place where the StrongLifts 5x5 mobile apps comes in handy). You'll either continue to increase your weight in SL5x5, or move on to a more advanced and challenging protocol that will focus on your weak areas or whatever goals you have in mind.

If you've not yet joined (or lurked) there is an excellent group for ladies following the SL5x5 program here (lots of great people and good advice/guidance to be had): http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

(yeah, and get the mobile app -- free is fine, the paid version is affordable and offers additional features to keep you busy for a year or more...)

I'm not the OP but I wanted to say that I found this very informative and easy to understand.
  • unnichaacko
    Options
    I know that when my form is off, I can feel pain. Bad form for squats or deadlifts I feel in my back.

I definitely agree that you don't need to always add 5lbs per workout - especially if you don't have the form right.

You mention that this is workout three, so if you are starting off with the bar for squats and hit it, then you would theoretically be at 55lbs right now. You mention being 93lbs...that's 60% of your bodyweight. That might be different than someone who is 50lbs heavier squatting the same 55lbs. Before it gets heavier, I would definitely be working on getting the correct form down.

I do have to think about my form the next time. Also, in addition to 5*5, have you been doing anything else? I have heard it is not recommended to any other workout while following the program. I have been a calisthenics junkie for over a decade and I am unable to stop myself from having a morning calisthenics session. It is almost as meditating for me. That being said, maybe decade of calisthenics made me stronger enough to not feel 55lbs as heavier as it might seem to most people. But I do need to check if my forms are off from the next workouts.