Diet pills?

Before i ask my question here a couple of things.
1. I am aware that taking diet pills for an extended period of time is bad for you.
2. I have lost 50 oiunds so far and have at least 70 pounds more to lose.
3. I am aware that a lot of diet pills are scams that don't actually do anything.

Has anyone used diet pills after already losing some weight? If so what was used? Was there any difference in the weight that you lost on the diet pill compared to what you already lost? How much weight was lost in what amount of time?
I am asking about people that already lost weight then used a diet pill because if you used a diet pill at the beginning then it isn't a fair comparison because the first few pounds are always easy to lose no matter what is used.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    If you've already lost 50 pounds, why do you feel the need to use diet pills? Almost all of them fall under number 3, so they won't do anything more than you're already doing without them.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    The only ones that work are illegal.

Just keep doing what is already working for you.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If you've already lost 50 pounds, why do you feel the need to use diet pills? Almost all of them fall under number 3, so they won't do anything more than you're already doing without them.

This^

YOU are already doing all the work. Plus you are learning new habits that will help you keep the weight off. Pills won't help you keep the weight off.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    The only ones that work are illegal.

Just keep doing what is already working for you.

And they are illegal for a damn good reason. They are harmful to your health.

The legal ones are expensive forms of caffeine. I prefer coffee.

It sounds to me like what you are doing is working so just keep at it and be patient. This is from a guy who has lost ~ 60 with another 50 to lose to just not be obese. I'd love to find a magic pill to make it easier, but it ain't gonna happen.
  • fellowtraveler87
    fellowtraveler87 Posts: 41 Member
    I've used them here or there over the years, never had a noticeable difference other than the caffeine some of them pack. A cup of coffee is just as effective and heck of a lot cheaper.

The only thing that helped me drop weight was consistent calorie restriction and exercise.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    They are a completely useless waste of money no matter when you take them.
  • JSgetsfit
    JSgetsfit Posts: 19 Member
    I am only askig out of curiosity and making sure i am not missing out on any opportunities. I like the idea of caffine. I don't drink caffeine but if i efver want to up my weight loss i will try drinking something with caffine in it to see what that does.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    3. I am aware that a lot of diet pills are scams that don't actually do anything.

Fixed it for you. All diet pills are scams. Save your money.
  • Lanet27
    Lanet27 Posts: 127 Member
    Why not try something natural, such as cinnamon, turmeric and cayenne pepper pills. You can try and use these spices, but in cases when it is not possible, you can get the good nutrients and beneficial effects of these spices in pill form. Here is a youtube vid from one of my fav youtubers... check it out. :smile: Many Blessings to All and Happy 2017. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unsExUbC8mQ
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2017
    I am only askig out of curiosity and making sure i am not missing out on any opportunities. I like the idea of caffine. I don't drink caffeine but if i efver want to up my weight loss i will try drinking something with caffine in it to see what that does.

Any legal diet pills that do anything have caffeine as the active ingredient. If you think more energy will help you be more active and burn more calories caffeine might help. If you find your willpower for sticking to your calories fades when you are tired or sluggish, caffeine can help. I do drink coffee, tea, or diet soda most days in moderation for the caffeine for both those reasons. So yeah, skip the diet pills and get a cheaper source of caffeine if that's the kind of thing you are looking for :)

If you don't normally drink caffeine, take it easy to start. Some people can get jittery or anxious if they have too much caffeine all at once.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Lanet27 wrote: »
    Why not try something natural, such as cinnamon, turmeric and cayenne pepper pills. You can try and use these spices, but in cases when it is not possible, you can get the good nutrients and beneficial effects of these spices in pill form. Here is a youtube vid from one of my fav youtubers... check it out. :smile: Many Blessings to All and Happy 2017. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unsExUbC8mQ

What "good nutrients and beneficial effects" are you referring to?

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I've taken prescription ones and yes they do work short term. If you like the way amphetamines feel, you'll do great. If not, you're gonna have a rough time. Also if you understand the weight absolutely and immediately will begin to return, ask your doctor.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I tried some once...they made me a basket case. I was so irritable and emotional, couldn't even function properly. Ended up throwing them away.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Took some years ago when I was looking for a quick solution. Quit them when I could feel my heart racing. The down side years later I a now a patient with A-Fib that possibly can be attributed to the time when I took the diet pills. Now I need to stay away from energy drinks, diet pills, caffeine, etc. if I want to stay alive. Nothing good can come from taking diet pills. You do lose weight.... in your wallet!
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited January 2017
    A very good statement I heard from a doctor talking about diet pills etc. on TV, "if there was such a thing, they would do it on the NHS and save loads of money" I thought that was a brilliant statement and anyone thinking there's a quick, magic fix to losing weight should think about that.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    They don't work.. just do what you have been.