Keto experience

Options
Wondering what others might have experienced on Keto.

I started the diet a few weeks ago after my doctor told me I was Type II diabetic. I also began a really strict life policy of 90 minutes per day of physical activity. I haven't totally lived up to it every single day but each day has been at least one hour between cardio and strength training combined.

For four weeks straight I remained at 256.6 lbs. I literally did not fluctuate so much as an ounce for four whole weeks. I was really starting to get frustrated. Especially given that the first ten days were an absolute nightmare trying to get over an extreme lack of carbs that I've been so used to filling myself with.

Four days ago, I woke up at 254.0. The next day 252.2. The next day 251.2. Today, 250.1.

As much as I enjoy seeing results after four weeks of hard work, I have to wonder if this might be a little fast. I don't really believe it's water weight because (correct me if I'm wrong), that should have done all of its fluctuating four weeks ago when I started.

Just wondering if anyone else might have experienced something similar on their journey or if I might perhaps be doing something wrong.

Thanks all! ;-)

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    It's not too fast...weight loss isn't a linear function...as a trend, you've lost roughly 6 Lbs in four or five weeks. For many people, it comes in wooshes...
  • kpchoate
    kpchoate Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks! It just kinda made me nervous. lol
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    I just started keto today, and your post makes me very nervous. My doctor recommended this diet, with a few tweaks because I cannot have dairy and a few other things. I commend you for sticking with it for so long before you saw any results, it's what I am afraid of.
  • kdz0444
    kdz0444 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Sounds totally normal. My first month I lost almost 20 lbs. I'm almost to 4 months in now and almost to 40 lbs lost. That's almost 20 lbs spread out over almost 3 months with weeks of no losing thrown in. The losses come in spurts. I have weeks where I don't lose anything and then weeks where I lose 10 lbs in a week followed by a couple weeks of chilling out at the same weight. Your fat cells can fill with water and it can take a while for them to release the water hence the term whoosh as said by the other guy up there. If you stay consistent then you will see losses.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    You may want to pop into the low-carb group and chat with the keto folks there about it. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Losing weight on keto is still a matter of having a caloric deficit, FYI. Folks still need to adjust their calories to be less than their TDEE.

You'll also find that keto macros are very individualized. I do well with anywhere from 6-12% carbs (more carbs on higher exercise days), around 70% fat (give or take 5%) and the rest protein, but everyone is a little different there.
  • kpchoate
    kpchoate Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The hardest part for me so far is that I keep overshooting my protein. I'm good on calories. And all of my other macros are good. And I'm not ridiculously over on protein but I'm OCD enough that when one of those jokers turns red, I get all cranked up. haha
  • GrowingGlow
    GrowingGlow Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you're overshooting your protein often, that could prevent you from getting into keto. From my understanding, your body is going to break down extra protein instead. Keto is all about meeting the macros, choosing the right macros, and staying within the macros even if you go over your calories. My macros are 5% carbs, 20% protein, and 75% fat. I'f you're in these macros and still hungry at the end of the day, up your calories and stay in the macros. The small amount of carbs can seem daunting at first, but it's very doable if you avoid processed foods and fill the void by chopping and cooking your own clean foods. This is super easy and quick to do. If you'd like ideas or have more questions, feel free to hit me up and I'll add it to my new group Living La Vida Keto.

There are also a lot of ways that too many carbs can creep into your diet. If you eat a lot of processed foods, you might over look how many carbs are in the little pack of ketchup. If you're doing little snackings, you might think nothing of the thin slice of cheese you just ate. Cheating here and there will also kill your keto. People tend to cheat more than they admit or even realize. It's just one is never one. Heck it's hard to have just on drink let alone just one bite of a Snickers bar. I can't even have just one boyfriend at times. But these little things add up. When your carbs are so minimal, it makes an impact.

Other keto kickers are the choices of foods you make. Foods that can kick you out that fit in the macros are coconut oil, dairy, and I strongly believe caffeine. These foods are broken down in ways that don't work with keto or raise your blood sugar levels. When I take whey, I only take it after a workout as it can spike your blood sugar from what I've read.

Best of wishes on your keto journey
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    kpchoate wrote: »
    The hardest part for me so far is that I keep overshooting my protein. I'm good on calories. And all of my other macros are good. And I'm not ridiculously over on protein but I'm OCD enough that when one of those jokers turns red, I get all cranked up. haha

The key to keto is carb (or calorie) restriction. You don't need to limit your protein or increase your fat for ketosis. If you're losing weight and feeling good you're doing everything exactly right. If you like eating more protein, change your macros so they don't turn red and eat more protein!
  • rinigirl76
    rinigirl76 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    What are the basic rules for keto ?
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    As basic as it gets (via Ted Naiman):

C02b-7IUoAEV7YO.jpg:large