Struggling to get back on wagon after Xmas break

Options
2»

Replies

• grenachegirl
    grenachegirl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Oh I hear ya!!! I too had a 3 weak break over Christmas, if it wasn't nailed down I ate it!!! I haven't weighed myself just yet as I'm trying to stay optimistic and hopefully drop some water weight however I know I've gained a fair few pounds. I've lost just over 4 stone in 9 months but want to drop another stone, I'm back logging, weighing my food etc but I've been so hungry it's just not real!!! Hoping it's just my body recalibrating or something and the hunger subsides cos I'm seriously struggling to say on the wagon!!! Good luck x
  • farrell16
    farrell16 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yes the holidays can be especially tough.... especially with the sugary treats. Studies have shown sugar is as addicting as cocaine, so having hard time getting off the treats isn't surprising. But you have to look at it in that fashion its a drug and you are trying to get clean. It isn't easy but once you eat clean for 2 to 3 weeks you'll be back on track. As a competitive person I always look at it as a 4 week challenge post Christmas.... I make a bet with a friend to not eat any refined sugars in the month of January.... once I've completed that 4 weeks I have no interest in going back because I feel so much better.

My approach is looking at it like an addiction and having pride in the fact no food is the boss of me lol. My competitive nature usually helps me push through the tough transition. Hopefully something similar can work for you
  • XXcookiepussXX
    XXcookiepussXX Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I too thought I would be able to just jump right back in, no problemo. I am struggling a little bit more than I would like.

Right now, my goal is just to do better than the day before. Even a little bit.

Yesterday, I pre-logged at a deficit. Schedule changed mid-day, got stressed out, ate a huge snack that put me at maintenance. Then, I HAD to indulge "one last time" in candy and finish off the last of the holiday wine (so it wouldn't be there to tempt me, duh). Boom, way over.

Today, I pre-logged a deficit, but if I go over and hit maintenance, that is at least a little better than yesterday.

If I hit maintenance calories tomorrow, but hit the gym, that is a little bit better than today.

It's life. It's messy. We are creatures of habit. It takes time to get back into the swing of things.
  • fifijoaney
    fifijoaney Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    U say u have lost 3 stone in four months is that correct?
    I think this is pretty common when losing weight too fast. This just stood out to me as a possible cause.
  • dearcassandrab
    dearcassandrab Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Same thing here. It's been a process but I have slowly got back on track. I'm still dealing with hunger but it's getting better! Just keep at it! You'll get back on track! Just give it some time!
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Whaaa-- baked potato with hummus?!? Two things I love but have never even remotely considered together. I know that was not at all your point but had to comment! I have both a leftover baked potato and red pepper hummus in my fridge....will see what happens tonight after work :)
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah- the struggle yada yada- yes, me too. Did happen to pull it together as of yesterday. For me I just need one full day on track. Meal prep + walking helped me, plus a few transition days (more than I wanted) but you'll get there!!
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I had to go through the fridge, cupboards, and pantry and clear it of all the junk. It's hard if you have others in the home because you might not be able to get rid of everything. I created an "off-limit" shelf. :) Then I went to the store with a clear plan for healthy meals. If I don't have it in the house, I won't eat it. I fell off the wagon a few months ago and really got myself into an unpleasant place. Workouts are back. Cleaner eating is back. And sadly, the beer is out for a while. (I'm highly motivated to bring that back in!) I also created a rewards system that isn't food. Just have to take it one day at a time. Everyday, do it better.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    tress29 wrote: »
    It's a lot easier now that all the Christmas candy has been consumed!

I literally threw the rest out in the garbage. If I can't keep myself out of it, it cannot be in the house.
  • folgers86
    folgers86 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm avoiding the grocery store and ordering health food from a local chain 'cause I can't help myself in the chip/candy/ice cream isles LOL. The struggle is real. I have healthy food at home - frozen veggies that I need to eat and what not but the binge potential is too great if I step inside a store at the moment
  • KerrieMac10
    KerrieMac10 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hot tea when you feel hungry and just the mental realization / preparedness that for the next few days you are going to feel hungry and you will have to push past it.
  • gabbyo23
    gabbyo23 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Good start to today :)

Im feeling positive. Im feeling ready. I have my day all planned out. I'm cooking the kids a meal I don't like so I won't be tempted to pick at their leftovers. I have spent the morning clearing the cupboards and have put all my husbands treats in a box on a high shelf.

Also doing a food shop tonight and am going to plan a whole week in advance so I don't get caught short.

I realised I don't have to do this to myself. I don't have to aim for a super skinny weight. I don't have to make this harder then it needs to be. I have readjusted my expectations.

New goals:

Goal 1: reach 11 stone. I've been 11.2-11.5 over Xmas. Let's get to a nice round number.
    Goal 2: Get in the 10s. I hate the number 11. 10 stone something is so much nicer.
    Goal 3: reach 10.6...my healthy bmi! Finally into the normal range...this would be awesome.
    Goal 4: Slowly move away from 10.6 and towards a number that is safely into the normal range. I'm thinking more like 10st. We will see.

Here's to a new year that is about being healthy and realistic...not punishing myself with unattainable goals and not beating myself up if I have a bad week.

I will update before bed with how today went. X
  • jaedwa1
    jaedwa1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I had family visiting for most of the holidays so my diet sucked. For this week alone, I went over my calories 4 out of 7 days. Ugh. But this morning I'm driving the last visitor (my mom) to the airport and I can finally bring some sanity and routine back in my life. I think holidays should only happen once every two years... :smiley:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Make up your mind that from today on you will stick to your calorie allowance, be determined, keep focused. It does take a few days to get back into the swing of eating less.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Do some sort of exercise. Nothing makes you watch what you eat more than spending 10 minutes on a stairclimber and seeing you only burned 100 calories.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    crosbylee wrote: »
    tress29 wrote: »
    It's a lot easier now that all the Christmas candy has been consumed!

I literally threw the rest out in the garbage. If I can't keep myself out of it, it cannot be in the house.

X2

I put all the bad food in the trash. My wife freaked out a bit but she got over it... lol

Clean eating rules... :)