What is the craziest/strangest/funniest thing you've seen a gym newcomer do?

Options
RWnTX
RWnTX Posts: 119 Member
This topic is inspired by something that happened at my gym just two days ago.

A teenage or twenty-something guy loaded 8 or 9 45 pound plates on each side of the leg press. I think the guy is part of the New Years' crowd because I'd never seen him before. I was resting between my bench press sets. Somehow, I just knew this guy was way over his head and wouldn't be able to press that much weight. Sure enough, he couldn't even do one rep. Thankfully, he locked the leg press down and got out without injury.

So, we return to the title question - what is the craziest/strangest/funniest thing you've seen a gym newcomer do? Let's have some fun talking about this.

Replies

• thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    I visit random equinoxes and edge fitness clubs in the tri-state area (many clubs in three states, the variety makes me go to the gym regularly)

I pop up my collars.

I pull up my fanciest of socks.

And that's my deadlift/squat uniform. Wonder how many think I'm a crazy newbie.

Once they see how much you lift, I don't think they think you are a newbie.
  • cahubbard6421
    cahubbard6421 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Seeing new peoole stay after being judged by everyone for their lack of knowledge always surprises me. The ones that follow you around just see what youve accomplished and assume they should watch to learn.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    lauamy96 wrote: »
    Yesterday a guy just started following me around the gym after I showed him where the squat rack and the lat pulldown machines were. I think he thinks we're BFFs now because he also followed me around today. Using EVERY machine that I used right after me. That's creepy. Why. Stop. Go away.

^^ This happened to me with a pair of girls. They were standing so close to me that I kept bumping into them while doing my reps and they kept going, "Oh don't worry, hun. Oh no problem, you're so cute." LEAVE ME ALONE

(P.S. I am not mean and am always willing to help or give advice but don't just blatantly stand in my way...)
  • cahubbard6421
    cahubbard6421 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    The stuff the OP does. It's kinda judgemental.

I have seen men come in put 5lb plates on a 45lb barbell and lift/squat it.

I have seen men come in put 4x45lb plates on either side and grunt once and leave. There are others who can lift this and more.

What do I care? Nothing. None of my effing business. The first guy could have had spine problems. It's kind of distasteful to judge newbies. Not everyone is Khal Drogo.

Agree comoletely.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Also saw a man holding onto the lat pulldown bars and banging his head up and down violently.
  • lauamy96
    lauamy96 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I visit random equinoxes and edge fitness clubs in the tri-state area (many clubs in three states, the variety makes me go to the gym regularly)

I pop up my collars.

I pull up my fanciest of socks.

And that's my deadlift/squat uniform. Wonder how many think I'm a crazy newbie.

The Equinox I go to has trainers in the weight training area there just to correct form.
    He corrected how widely my fingers were spaced when I was gripping the bar.
    Your form must be good if he hasn't called you out yet lol
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    An FBI agent that went nuts fired off a few rounds outside my gym recently but I wasn't there at the time. I listened to the police audio when he got arrested and he sounded like a real loser.
  • lauamy96
    lauamy96 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Well then I probably looked like a total newb the other day when the gym was packed and I had to dump a 315 lb squat with no spotter. Wasn't even close to getting it.
    (But maybe they didn't see that I just hit 295 before that, with excellent depth and mild struggle face. And wanted to try for a PR....)

I don't usually associate missing a lift with being a newb, because it happens.

And besides, there are people in the gym year round who have no idea what they're doing.

Me. Still don't know wtf I'm doing some times when I'm holding a dumbbell. I just make up repetitive motions that make my muscles burn lol
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    I've decided this is why I don't join a gym, for fear of being judged as a newbie. LOL Yup, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D