Is 1800 a good calorie amount for 5'10 female at 264lbs?!

Options
Hello!

I've started the weight loss journey and am 5'10-5'11 in height :) My current weight is 264 and my goal weight (for the time being) is 200lbs!

Before exercise, is 1800 calories too little or too much for a target weight loss of about 2lbs a week?

Thanks!

Replies

• DANELSY17
    DANELSY17 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height as you and I eat 1300-1600 (try to average 1500 a week) in order to lose a pound a week. However, I weight-lift about 3 times a week with minimal cardio. At your weight this might work for you. Try using this online TDEE/BMR calculator for more detailed information: http://mytdee.com/
    Hope this helps.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Yes. I'm 5'9", 177 pounds, 41 years old, and am losing slowly and steadily at 1960 calories per day. Dropping to a lower calorie goal sets me up to eventually freak out and binge. I'd rather do it slowly but successfully.
  • DANELSY17
    DANELSY17 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm 5'9", 177 pounds, 41 years old, and am losing slowly and steadily at 1960 calories per day. Dropping to a lower calorie goal sets me up to eventually freak out and binge. I'd rather do it slowly but successfully.

I wish i could eat 1960 and lose weight. I'm afraid to go that high because of a past with Binge Eating and anything over 1700 freaks me out. BTW I LOVE your profile pic.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options

*sigh* i wish i lost at that! i'm 5'10" - dang thyroid & PCOS :(
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    DANELSY17 wrote: »

I wish i could eat 1960 and lose weight. I'm afraid to go that high because of a past with Binge Eating and anything over 1700 freaks me out. BTW I LOVE your profile pic.

Thanks. Me, too! ;)

One thing I've learned on this site - everyone has to learn what works for them. Although it all comes down to calories in vs calories out, there are many, many ways to do that.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Maybe! I'm 5'8" and 259; my target for (sedentary) slow and steady weight loss is around 1900, moderately paced loss target is around 1600, and aggressive loss target is around 1400. If I exercise, those numbers go up.

ETA: I should define this a little better, since you asked about losing 2lbs per week. "Slow and steady," to me, means somewhere from .25lb-.5lb per week; "moderate loss" means anywhere from .6lb-1.4lb per week; "aggressive loss" means 1.5lb-2.5lbs per week. This is pretty arbitrary and I fully admit to just making it up in my head. :P
  • rwrightur
    rwrightur Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'9 and 240, and am set at 1600/day... i have a real hard time even hitting THAT number! I put this site away for a year, but now i'm back on it. i think 1800 is a great number for now, especially if you are working out as well!! If you find you are having a hard time, then move the number around so that you are hitting a goal. if you are averaging a little more or less, then move the mental bar until you can work it back to where you want it to be.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Give it a try and see! And by "try" I mean at least a month. :blush: Patience is key here. And I firmly believe in the philosophy I read here once that "whoever eats the most and still loses weight wins."

Lost over 100 pounds with hypothyroid and and bad back, took over two years, plus a few months of a "diet break." Two and a half years in maintenance. ANYTHING is possible! Just give yourself some patience and grace to figure things out. It's a LOT of trial and error.