Fitbit?

Options
I am considering buying a Fitbit, but I would like to consider opinions/reviews from people who have already used it.
So, what do y'all think? Helpful, or not?

Replies

• annperk
    annperk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like mine simply for the fact that it syncs with our wellness program at work and with myfitnesspal. This way I don't have to constantly remember to log everything, it does it for me. And I like that it tracks my sleep. It's helped me to realize I need to discipline myself to get to bed at a reasonable time.
  • mamabear1114
    mamabear1114 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    annperk wrote: »
    I like mine simply for the fact that it syncs with our wellness program at work and with myfitnesspal. This way I don't have to constantly remember to log everything, it does it for me. And I like that it tracks my sleep. It's helped me to realize I need to discipline myself to get to bed at a reasonable time.

Cool! Which model do you have???
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I recently got the Charge 2 and love it. I'm definitely making more effort to move. I love the app and that it links with MFP. I'm also becoming a lot more disciplined in what I do each day. It has some great reminders to get up and walk. I try to get in my steps. I track my water and food. I work out more regularly. Plus, it's stylish with the different bands! :) I recommend it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

There are pros & cons. You really need to select a tracker based on how you intend to use it.

I like my FitBit One

Pros -
    Clips to my bra, small & discreet.

No HRM, but it works well for me because my cardio is step based. HRMs are nice for steady state cardio....not terribly helpful for other forms of exercise. Not worth the added cost (to me).

Because it's not on my wrist it doesn't count steps when I'm driving, but does count steps when I'm pushing a shopping cart.

Syncs to MFP. It can compare my stated activity level to my actual activity level. Negative adjustments keep me honest.

Big community of users if you want to join challenges.

Cons -
    Small - I have actually washed it. Came out okay, but others have not been as lucky.

No "nagging" feature. Would be nice if I got an alarm from sitting too much.

Seeing a screen (as in wrist model) would be nice....but then it's a wrist model (see above).
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I like mine because it encourages me to walk further in my day to day life. It's also handy for estimating calories available for mfp. I've had mine for 18 months
  • mamabear1114
    Options
    Stella3838 wrote: »
    I recently got the Charge 2 and love it. I'm definitely making more effort to move. I love the app and that it links with MFP. I'm also becoming a lot more disciplined in what I do each day. It has some great reminders to get up and walk. I try to get in my steps. I track my water and food. I work out more regularly. Plus, it's stylish with the different bands! :) I recommend it.

That was the one I was looking at purchasing. Thank you for your insight!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    HRMs are nice for steady state cardio....not terribly helpful for other forms of exercise.

FYI

HRMs are great for interval training (which is about as far from steady state as you can possibly get) because a lot of people use HR targets for their intervals.
  • mamabear1114
    Options

There are pros & cons. You really need to select a tracker based on how you intend to use it.

I like my FitBit One

Pros -

No HRM, but it works well for me because my cardio is step based. HRMs are nice for steady state cardio....not terribly helpful for other forms of exercise. Not worth the added cost (to me).

Because it's not on my wrist it doesn't count steps when I'm driving, but does count steps when I'm pushing a shopping cart.

Syncs to MFP. It can compare my stated activity level to my actual activity level. Negative adjustments keep me honest.

Cons -
    Small - I have actually washed it. Came out okay, but others have not been as lucky.

Seeing a screen (as in wrist model) would be nice....but then it's a wrist model (see above).

Love the pros and cons. Thank you!
  • mamabear1114
    Options
    I like mine because it encourages me to walk further in my day to day life. It's also handy for estimating calories available for mfp. I've had mine for 18 months

That's also what I'm hoping to accomplish. Thank you!
  • Stella3838
    Options
    I also like the HRM that the Charge 2 has. It tracks a resting heart beat and where you are during workouts. The sleep tracker is a nice add. Not sure I 100% buy it, but it gives me an idea directionally. I do like the reminders to go to bed. Haha
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    HRMs are nice for steady state cardio....not terribly helpful for other forms of exercise.

FYI

HRMs are great for interval training (which is about as far from steady state as you can possibly get) because a lot of people use HR targets for their intervals.

Many people use heart rate monitors for estimating calorie burns. Thus my post - sorry, much too general.

But you're right......heart rate targets are important for fitness purposes.
  • mellyo77
    mellyo77 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Blaze - which is the one that looks more like a watch - the insert (computer piece) pops in and out so you can switch bands.

Pros - step counter is accurate
    -doubles as a smart watch - you can receive notifications from email, phone, and social media - but cannot interract
    -you can use it to control the music player in your phone - which is great so you don't have to pull out your phone to switch songs during workouts etc.
    -lots of features including exercise specific, heart rate monitor, nudges to get up and move, alarm clock that vibrates to wake you up
    Cons
    -not the most attractive - even with the leather straps avail as extra accessories
    -uncomfortable for sleeping
    -Battery drains quicker than on a Charge (my previous fitbit)
    -the screen is glass which makes me nervous because if you're clumsy like me - I am always banging into things.

All in all i find it motivating to have it - to get my steps in, to get me up and moving when i have been sitting too long at work, I don't think the heart rate monitor is like the most accurate on the market but good enough for me. What i like about the Blaze compared to the Charge is that if the strap goes on the charge (which they have a tendency to do ) you are screwed if you are over your one year warranty. Just this morning my coworker who is 3 days over her one year warranty had her band fall apart called and was told she was basically SOL, although I think they have fixed this with the Charge 2 as i think it has replaceable bands
  • mamabear1114
    Options

I like my FitBit One

Pros -

Cons -

How do you sync it??
  • Juvenall
    Juvenall Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    While I love the FitBit software, I've had nothing but problems with their hardware. The rubber on my Flex ripped randomally and wouldn't hold the actual tracker any longer, so I upgraded to the Force and ended up losing that due to their awful clasp design. Thankfully, their customer service was great and they offered to send me a replacement. Only problem was, a week or so later, they did the big recall on the Force for skin rashes and never, ever communicated that to me. When I wrote them about it, they basically said "Yeah, sucks to be you". So I waited until the FitBit Charge came out and my first one just stopped worked. Again, their customer service was on point and sent me a replacement which, after around two weeks of use, the side button just fell out. So they send me a third Charge and that was fine for a few months until the rubber around the display started to come unglued. Sigh.

I do still use the Aira scale, however, but even that had to go through a replacement process when apparently it suffered water damage from the moist air in the bathroom. I know, how silly of me to keep in there. They wouldn't replace it for me as a result, but I did like it enough that I picked up a second one and it's been working fine for over a year now.

As far as fitness trackers go, I managed to snag a free Samsung Gear Fit 2 when I got the Galaxy Note 7 a few months back (and if not for the explosions, I'd still be using it today) and have been extremely impressed with the thing so far. This has been the most comfortable, reliable, and easy to use smart watch/fitness tracker I've used yet. The thing will last a few days on a charge, the color display is bright and colorful (although, sometimes hard to see in direct sunlight), it curves around my wrist perfectly, the GPS tracking is fantastic, and I get previews of all my notifications (even from the MFP app) right on the screen.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    My $0.02 -

If you will use it to motivate yourself to move more, it's definitely worth it.

If it's just something you look at and don't motivate yourself to try to move more, you're wasting your money.
  • Stella3838
    Options
    My $0.02 -

If you will use it to motivate yourself to move more, it's definitely worth it.

If it's just something you look at and don't motivate yourself to try to move more, you're wasting your money.

Exactly!! I am using it for some personal competition. Tracking everything, then trying to do it better the next day. Otherwise, it's a watch.