Peloton- We regrets the purchase?

Options
Looking to get one for my cardio as i want to do it from home. Home Dvds and workouts wont work as my ankle and neck have taken a beating for awhile and now affecting me.

Looking at this and the math shows that it pays itself off if used 3 times a week for a year. But im sure others use it as an expensive coat hanger.

So do you regret or consider it a life changer? and im asking for people that are new to cycling

Replies

• fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I looked into it but realized the internet speed here isn't fast enough to support it. That said, I found a very nice spin bike on Amazon and some great spin DVDs as well. Mindy Mylrea has some great DVDs. I have four DVDs now which gives me 15 plus different workouts bc you can mix and match. It works for me!
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    true but i think for some, it comes all together and no need to think about anything. Its all included. i dont know which is why im asking others here for some input
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    For the price you could get a very nice road bike, stationary trainer, tablet, and net service.

This.

It's a lot of money for a proprietary service. The online cycle training market is pretty dynamic at the moment.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    For the price you could get a very nice road bike, stationary trainer, tablet, and net service.

Exactly...and then you have to option of riding outside which is far more fun. I only use my indoor trainer in the winter or when I'm watching the kids or something and can't leave the house...otherwise I'd much rather be outside.

I set my trainer up in my living room in front of the big screen and spin away to various virtual rides, virtual training rides, and spin classes.
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I did a spin class for about a year and a half, with a group it was fantastic fun. By myself, no way could I force myself to do a workout on a spin bike. I love to ride outside when the weather is decent but my go to this time of year is running...outside.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I can see maybe elite cyclists using it, maybe? I just set my road bike up on the trainer and put Netflix/Hulu on.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

This.

It's a lot of money for a proprietary service. The online cycle training market is pretty dynamic at the moment.

+1
    Zwift didn't exist 2 years ago (3? left beta last year). New stuff comes out every fall.

Road bike + half decent trainer + what ever you are posting on right now = profit

At a minimum, get something off these lists:
    https://www.trainerroad.com/equipment-checker
    http://zwift.com/get-started#ready

Sure, smart trainers are cool, and they aren't much more than a good dumb trainer, but they are still twice as expensive, minimum.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I can see maybe elite cyclists using it, maybe? I just set my road bike up on the trainer and put Netflix/Hulu on.

I can't...elite cyclists/pro triathletes would use something like a computrainer or wahoo kickr smart trainer that would allow them to ride their bikes in race position
  • cahubbard6421
    cahubbard6421 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    This is something I would not invest in, but curious about those who would get this. You are basically getting a commercial grade spin bike with a tablet attached. My only concern would be the continued online service and if the screen accepts other apps.

I dont know where you could get all of those things for $1995. Especially the "very nice road bike." For a very nice road bike you can expect to pay $1800 - $2000.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    This is something I would not invest in, but curious about those who would get this. You are basically getting a commercial grade spin bike with a tablet attached. My only concern would be the continued online service and if the screen accepts other apps.

I dont know where you could get all of those things for $1995. Especially the "very nice road bike." For a very nice road bike you can expect to pay $1800 - $2000.

Performance has a full carbon GT with Ultegra 6800 for $1K right now. I doubt it's a "very" nice road bike, but we've all been on much worse.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    There is a nearby boutique yoga studio that also offers TRX, power plate and peloton bikes. Every now and then they have a special on for unlimited passes and I treat myself. I really enjoy the Peloton rides, but could not imagine first paying for the bike and then paying for the subscription. Insane.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I would check and compare price to a road bike+trainer setup and Zwift, especially if you might ever opt for outdoor cycling. (A lot of my fellow cyclists use Zwift in the off season).
  • raven56706
    Options
    i mean im looking for convienance and just ease of use. It comes all in one.

i guess whats offered here is build yourself for way cheaper?
  • raven56706
    Options
    i also take it that not alot of people in MFP have a peloton