I am too Fat to work out at the gym

Options
124»

Replies

• bketchum1981
    bketchum1981 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I try really hard to at least give newbies a couple words of encouragement. If I haven't seen them at the studio before i try to ask them at the end if they enjoyed it and hope to see them again.
  • clegeckis
    clegeckis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I joined my local YMCA gym a few years back; and on the first visit I was so intimidated. But then the people there were so nice to me, and there was such a diverse group of people I felt more relaxed. I did use a personal trainer a few times to get a good intro to the more intimidating machines. The nice thing about the Y is that there is usually an employee that will help you figure out a machine if you don't know how it works. Now I feel very comfortable there. You may have to check out different gyms before you find one that you like.
  • NeuronsNeuronsNeurons
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments! I read every one and I still have tears. I will do this. Tomorrow while my daughter swims, I will walk on the treadmill as long as I can. Baby steps. Today I will take her to a trampoline park- she will not have my issues!

Awesome! The supportive people will FAR outnumber any haters...there will always be haters, let them hate :)
  • keylimepiedream
    keylimepiedream Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I hate the gym too! I workout in my room on YouTube. I love fitness blender and Tae bo. The gym will always be there. Try working out at home till you feel comfortable going to the gym.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Personally I admire the hell out of people I see in the gym that have a lot to lose. We're all there for the same reasons, to improve our health. You just need to see the people in the gym as starting in the same place you did and they are all at various stages of that journey. Some may even be worse off, some may be super fit after years of hard work. I'd give it another chance!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,510 Member
    Options
    The truth is, EVERYONE joined the gym to get/stay in shape. The only people who really shame you are the public outside. People in the gym are usually the most supportive. Why? Because you're there to FIX your issues. And they like to see that. They offer encouragement. I can't think of a better place to get it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments! I read every one and I still have tears. I will do this. Tomorrow while my daughter swims, I will walk on the treadmill as long as I can. Baby steps. Today I will take her to a trampoline park- she will not have my issues!

This is great. Exercise when your daughter exercises and you will be a great role model for her.

Getting fitter will mean you can take her to the park and do activities together – that doesn’t necessarily mean ‘exercise’ but just being active – throwing a ball, walking in the woods etc. You have the attitude to get there. You’ve broken through the first barrier and been on that treadmill, keep at it. Maybe get comfortable with the gym and simple machines before hiring a trainer. I recall having a trainer tell me I should spend ten minutes running on the treadmill each workout. What she didn’t appreciate was that I couldn’t even run ten SECONDS, and ten minutes would have burnt me out, and made me never go back.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    But no one wants to see a morbidly obese person working out.

Your goal is not to give a good-god-damn what anyone else thinks about you're being the 'morbidly obese person working out'. Screw them.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    trust me ... no one at the gym cares about you, other than you.

im 5'1 started going to gym at 160+ pounds. no one batted an eye at me, or the pitifully small amount of time i was able to stay on a machine.

im still 5'1, and 170 now. still no one looks at me.

the weight lifter are checking themselves out ;) and the cardio bunnies are bopping along to justin timerlake. Just do your thing.
  • jludwick78
    jludwick78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I just joined the gym this week and am totally intimidated by everyone working so hard and they all look in decent shape. I'm so out of shape that I can barely make it 30 minutes. Could only do 15 on day 1. I want to go to the classes, but I feel too out of shape. Like I can't hang with them. But my plan is baby steps. I've gone 3 days this week and added a little more on the treadmill each time until I'm hoping to feel comfortable taking some classes.

So my advice, which is what I'm trying to do, is just start moving. And then the next day, move a little more. I'm hoping soon I'll be kicking butt like everyone else.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Okay all! I walked on the treadmill for 20 minutes and went 1/2 a mile. All was good! It felt got to be making steps towards my goals! I appreciate everyone's encouraging words!
    Awesome. You stay with it :)
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    "I am too sick to go to the hospital."

See how ridiculous that sounds?
  • quartknee11
    quartknee11 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You have to do what works for you. That said, there are many threads about this kind of thing. Trust me, no one is looking, and if they are it's to admire you for working hard, no matter what your body shape or size.

There is some benefit to strength training while you're losing weight. If you don't want to go to the gym, there are tons of great free bodyweight only workouts you can do in the comfort and privacy of your own home. Good luck!

It's really nice to see a fit guy say something like this because I have the same anxiety about going to the gym. I usually try to go when the buff guys aren't there lol
  • rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Okay all! I walked on the treadmill for 20 minutes and went 1/2 a mile. All was good! It felt got to be making steps towards my goals! I appreciate everyone's encouraging words!

That's awesome, good stuff. Keep at it. Mix in some weights if and when you feel comfortable, it helps.
    Don't worry about anyone else at the gym. As has been said, most don't notice you or pay attention, but, if they do, are typically happy for you that you are there. A lot of them were probably overweight as well at one point. I've dropped 78lbs, and when I see someone new and overweight at my gym, I'm pulling for them to meet their goals as well. Congrats again on getting there, and best of luck.

• gettingthere1721
    gettingthere1721 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My aunt had bariatric surgery a couple of years ago and went to the gym soon after. She must've been almost 300 lbs at that point (I'm estimating since she did lose weight from the restricted diet). She got on that treadmill and walked. Her speed must've been low too (and even after losing so much weight she doesn't really run). Even if someone mocks you, don't let that stop you. Yes, you can lose weight without exercising, but walking at a brisk pace on a treadmill for an hour can burn 250-300 calories. That doesn't sound like much, but it's the difference of ending the day with 1500 cal or 1800 cal (whatever your goal is). In the beginning, you will go over your caloric goal and an hour of some form of cardio (dancing is the best in my opinion, or at least the most fun) can be very forgiving. Just my thoughts.