Need advice on how to lose 35 lbs in the next 4 months. Please Help

Options
Hi Guys,

I am currently 20 years old weighing about 210 lbs at 5'6. I've been wanting to lose 35 pounds, but it's been so hard for me. I have been on a weight loss journey almost all my life. My heaviest has been 242 lbs and I was able to get down to 196 lbs. Ever since I started college and being away from my family I turned to food as a comfort once again. Reaching to 220 lbs. I quickly notice and I was able to lose 10 pounds last year. I now struggle to keep losing weight and it seems like everything I have tried is not working. I really want to lose 35 lbs and I plan on being very strict and motivated through losing the 35 lbs.

How many calories should I start back again? I can't afford a gym, but I can workout at home and I do have a park in front of my apartment complex I can go to. What other tips might help me?

Thank You So Much.

Replies

• KerrieMac10
    KerrieMac10 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You can do it! The calorie counter/profile will let you put in that you want To lose up to 2.5# per week! Stick to it! And drink hot tea when hungry (yogi brand has a "slim life" tea that is good). Get mentally prepared! The whole 30 diet is also amazing! It says no calorie counting while you do it but I did anyway and lost a lot! You got this!!!
  • shellyae
    shellyae Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If possible, try to set a schedule for your workouts so that you don't have to think about fitting the time in each day - it's a regular part of your schedule that you don't question. Even better, try to find someone to work out with - you'll be less likely tp blow off a workout. When I was in college (many years ago), they offered aerobics for free and I don't think I paid much, if anything at all to use the weight room, so you may want to look in to what your school offers.
    Logging everything in a timely manner will help you keep to your calorie goals. I wouldn't go below 1200. I agree with the above poster - high fiber, protein, and good fats.
    A lot of this is mental. I just started reading the Beck Diet solution and it's helping me get a better mindset for weight loss.
  • FallGirl84
    FallGirl84 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree with the earlier comments, your plan is way too aggressive. You should definitely consult a doctor before doing anything that radical by yourself, which I am not encouraging.

Not just that, but it's much more likely to gain everything back when you lose weight too rapidly. In that time you will starve yourself and/or dehydrate your body, eat very differently as you'd normally do and just hang in there for as long as the diet goes. After that I'm positive that you will gain some weight back, almost instantly.

So that's why I'm not a fan of speedy diets, unless they're just for a week or two and the aim is to lose only 4-6 lb maximum. THAT you can do pretty easily, since the first to go is excess water in your body and the rest is the result of strict diet - but then, again, it's not very permanent.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Weightloss is a numbers game.
    - There's 3500 calories in a pound of fat.
    - There's roughly 120 days in 4 months

3500calorie x 35lbs /120days = 1,020 calories (the amount you need to be in "deficit". If you eat 1750 calories per day, you'd need to burn a total of 2,770 in that same 24 hour period. That is pretty aggressive in my opinion...doable, but aggressive.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Roxxykyu wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I am currently 20 years old weighing about 210 lbs at 5'6. I've been wanting to lose 35 pounds, but it's been so hard for me. I have been on a weight loss journey almost all my life. My heaviest has been 242 lbs and I was able to get down to 196 lbs. Ever since I started college and being away from my family I turned to food as a comfort once again. Reaching to 220 lbs. I quickly notice and I was able to lose 10 pounds last year. I now struggle to keep losing weight and it seems like everything I have tried is not working. I really want to lose 35 lbs and I plan on being very strict and motivated through losing the 35 lbs.

How many calories should I start back again? I can't afford a gym, but I can workout at home and I do have a park in front of my apartment complex I can go to. What other tips might help me?

Thank You So Much.

I'm your height and started at a higher weight than you. I found an initial weekly weight loss goal of a pound a week very doable. Under-eating/overly strict goals often lead to binging or burnout.

I found a regular exercise program to be very helpful - not only did I get to enjoy the exercise calories, but I feel better, sleep better, and am less prone to seeking comfort from food.
  • debrafm
    debrafm Posts: 38 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Eat cleaner foods, meaning foods with as little ingredients as possible. Walk. It's the easiest exercise out there and it works. If you feel that you need more activity, try doing intervals. make a playlist according to pace. Start your walk as a warm up going at a regular pace for the first song. Make the second song a little faster and pick up your pace to a faster pace. Make the third song faster and try to jog, then go back down to a brisk pace for the next song, then normal pace for the next song and repeat. When I did this, I was able to lose without any problems. I made a playlist that was about 45 minutes long, but do what you would like! It worked great for me to do intervals. My weight loss started at 244, and I got down to 160. I didn't hurry the loss though. I wanted to take it off at an easy pace. I wanted to make sure I was learning, and my body was learning.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I intend to lose almost that much in the next 4 months to hit my goal weight, But iv been doing it i know what im doing now. Is definatly doable. But theres a learning period in first month or 2. I definatly suggest just focusing on educating yourself on what your body needs, And dropping the time limit. Focus on long term healthy habits to keep the weight off forever.

So no im not going to give any "tips" Just go scan through these forums theres tons of advice and reasoning behind why people say what they do. Do watch out for some of the fake uneducated traps some people fall into. All that matters for loss is calories.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Weightloss is a numbers game.
    - There's 3500 calories in a pound of fat.
    - There's roughly 120 days in 4 months

3500calorie x 35lbs /120days = 1,020 calories (the amount you need to be in "deficit". If you eat 1750 calories per day, you'd need to burn a total of 2,770 in that same 24 hour period. That is pretty aggressive in my opinion...doable, but aggressive.

Hey OP. I'm not sure about the 35 lb thing but the above post is true - it's a numbers game. The good news is that at 20, you might lose easier than some (I know I lost weight easier at 20 than I do even now a decade later). But it will take following all the suggestions above.

I used this calculator (. http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced ) and plugged in your stats and with 30 minutes light activity per day (maybe go for a walk/jog around that park? I really like the Couch to 5 K program to get started) your TDEE is at about 2800. That means you could eat 1600 cal (what kinds of food other posters have commented on already) and it would create a big enough deficit to lose. Over time, as you lose weight, keep checking a calculator like this to see how many calories you should be eating as it will go down over time (when you are lighter, you need less calories to 'run' your body). Just don't ever eat below 1200 cal. Good luck! Don't put too much pressure on yourself about timelines. Just keep taking the next healthy step and you will get there!
  • debrafm
    debrafm Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    debrafm wrote: »
    Eat cleaner foods, meaning foods with as little ingredients as possible. Walk. It's the easiest exercise out there and it works. If you feel that you need more activity, try doing intervals. make a playlist according to pace. Start your walk as a warm up going at a regular pace for the first song. Make the second song a little faster and pick up your pace to a faster pace. Make the third song faster and try to jog, then go back down to a brisk pace for the next song, then normal pace for the next song and repeat. When I did this, I was able to lose without any problems. I made a playlist that was about 45 minutes long, but do what you would like! It worked great for me to do intervals. My weight loss started at 244, and I got down to 160. I didn't hurry the loss though. I wanted to take it off at an easy pace. I wanted to make sure I was learning, and my body was learning.

The number of times the food is washed before eating it does not matter for weight loss. Eating fewer calories than a person needs to maintain their weight is what matters. If a person goes over their maintenance calories with a thoroughly washed salad and a different person goes over their their calories with a Snickers, both of them are going to gain weight.

I didn't mean clean as in cleaning the food. Clean eating means eating foods that don't have a lot of junk in it. Whole foods...fruits, veggies, lean meats, nuts... foods like that.

• SazFour
    SazFour Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height, near the same age and used to be the same weight. I started a 1200 calorie diet last year (I eat what I like within that) and have done absolutely no exercise. I lost 22lb in the first 4 months. If you threw in a run/walk in the park a few times a week I think you could definitely get near your goal. Good luck!
  • maggiepz
    maggiepz Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight very quickly on a very low carb diet but it is really hard to stick to and most people end up gaining much of the weight back.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    My advice is to shoot for a 16-20 pound loss in 4 months instead. Easier and more sustainable long-term. :)