Would you trust an overweight trainer?

Options
One of the trainers at our gym is not in great shape, in fact your could say he is substantially overweight. While I do not know his training schedule for sure, he seems to be pretty active with clients and from what I have seen says all the right things, is encouraging and knows how to deal with the level of person he is working with.

Anyway I overheard some member say something like "why would anyone take advice from him?"

It kind of struck me as strange. On the one hand, a great coach doesn't need to be a great player, just like a great teacher doesn't necessarily have to be the best mathematician/writer etc to be good at inspiring or instructing in their job.

On the other, I can see how someone who is suppose to be giving advice on being your best, should model that same behavior and life habits.

What do you guys think?

Replies

• mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    It would be hard to take advice from him and if I was skinnier or in better shape than him I might feel bad talking about my problem areas.. like how he might feel cause I think my thighs are big but in reality they are small compared to him ect.. I did take zumba classes from someone bigger than me.. she is now after a few years and other types of workouts in great shape so not going to say no way would I consider him.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    Have you ever seen a picture of Mark Rippletoe? I would love to have him as a trainer, but it isn't because of his buff body, but his knowledge. How a trainer looks is less important than whether they know what they need to know, and know how to motivate you.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Maybe not entirely fair, but no I wouldn't.

I also once refused to go to a dentist who had jacked up teeth. *shrug*
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I wouldn't have an issue.

People are much more than just their weight.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I would always judge someone by their knowledge, not appearance because you dont know what is going on in someone's life. It would potentially be a greater selling point for him if he was fit, but that is a a decision he must look at himself.
    This, most definitely.

And this:
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Also take into consideration the amount of ripped people saying dumb stuff and training like crap. I mean, why is anyone spending time on wrist curls.
    Bro curls. :blush:

• lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,865 Member
    Options
    Have you ever seen a picture of Mark Rippletoe? I would love to have him as a trainer, but it isn't because of his buff body, but his knowledge. How a trainer looks is less important than whether they know what they need to know, and know how to motivate you.

With the mention of Mark Rippetoe...
    /thread
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options

No, Rippletoe is in much better shape then the guy at our gym.

Not questioning his knowledge and to be honest I don't think when I started out I would have worried too much about how he looked, so long as I was getting good advice on form, diet etc..and I was seeing results.

Just wondering what everyone else thought.
  • slimsue28
    slimsue28 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't bother me, never know he/she may be on their own healthy weight loss journey - I'd prefer to train with someone who either has been in the same situation or is still working on their goal than someone who never had an issue with weight or their health. I personally think they would understand what we are going through.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Is he muscular at all, or is he a couch-potato figure? Basically, if I were to see a personal trainer to improve in strength rather than lose weight, and he/she happened to be 'fat' yet visibly muscular (muscle under the fat) I would think its ok. However, if they are not in some sort of good physical condition then I would not pay them for their services. If it were to lose weight, I would want a personal trainer that can show me they are able to take control of their own weight (be in a normal weight range) as well as helping others, too.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Rippetoe is a strength coach. If I wanted a strength-focused plan I would go to him (theoretically, not literally.)

If I wanted a general fitness trainer or a physique trainer I'd go elsewhere and I'd expect either type to be in good shape.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    People can be out of shape for any number of reasons not connected with ability or knowledge. I'm seeing a PT for my shoulder right now. He's in OK shape, not great, largely because a very active life has left him with a large collection of injuries that now limit how much he can exercise, sometimes severely. You never know what body part he's going to have wrapped in tape when you see him.

As others have said, I want a trainer for what he knows, not what he looks like.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't stop me from hiring him. I'd be more interested in his experience and credentials. There are plenty of out of shape professional sports coaches, so why not a chubby trainer? For all we know he's out of shape because he's too busy working on his PhD in exercise physiology.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,683 Member
    Options
    I would ask what his story is. Credentials and experience matter. Has he lost 100 pounds and still has some to go? Some of the Biggest Loser contestants decided afterwards to become personal trainers to pass on what they had learned. Is he an experienced athlete who is able to compete despite his weight? I know some multiple marathoners and ultra runners who are overweight. How long has he been training, and what kind of results has he had? Is he someone who was fit but has been dealing with injury or illness and lost fitness? Could be he's someone who is very good at motivating others, but not good at motivating himself.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Could be he's someone who is very good at motivating others, but not good at motivating himself.

I can relate. I have been in and out of shape a few times in my life. It wasn't like I didn't know what was required, I just couldn't motivate myself to do it. But if someone asked me for advice, I would have been able to give them a good training and diet program!