Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Ontario Adds Calories to Restaurant Menus

Options
flaminica
flaminica Posts: 304 Member
"As of Jan. 1, all restaurants with 20 or more locations in Ontario will have to display how many calories each of their food and drink items have on the menu."

Good idea? Drop in the bucket?

cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ontario-restaurant-calorie-menu-2017-1.3919308

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I'm not in Canada but I think its a good idea.

20 or more restaurants, indicating they have pretty good traffic.
  • Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    They already to this in NY.

A lot of people don't like it, because "If I'm going to go out to eat I want to have a good time, not be reminded of how bad what I'm eating is for me."

As someone who counts calories, it's easier to go out to eat and quickly calculate what fits my goals, vs. logging after and ending up over vs. trying to look everything up on MFP and see what works.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Nice. I hope that policy comes out west too.
  • Nevada
    Nevada Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Saw that at an Arby's in California. Reading the menu board left to right, the sandwich prices and calories rise together.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Less estimating for the calorie counters among us. At the very least it will bring a little awareness to everyone else.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    They have that in a lot of chain places here (Chicago), so much that I just expect it, there might as well be a law. (And isn't the US one in effect or soon to be?)

I like it, but I don't think it makes a difference except for those of us who pay attention anyway.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Almost ALL restaurants in CA have calorie values for their food. This has been going on for several years here now. Yeah, I know us "liberals" here actually have good ideas that spread pretty fast throughout America.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I actually just noticed this on the menu of some of the restaurants and bars I went to recently. Even McDonald's has it right next to the food item when you are ordering. I like it because I am bulking so it pushes me to pick a higher calorie item (which I probably wouldn't have chosen before).
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    This is happening more and more where I live (Michigan) and I love it!
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I noticed yesterday that Mac's has calories posted right on the fountain soda dispenser. Now all they have to do is offer a diet caffeine free option ;-)
  • rks581
    rks581 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I think the first time I noticed calories on a menu (besides fast food places) was at a hotel bar back in October. The room service menu had calories as well. I think it's a positive step as certain dishes can have many more (or less) calories than you might expect. For McDonald's it really will go to show how many calories are in those drinks. I'm one of those people who orders a double Big Mac, large fries, maybe an extra cheeseburger and a Diet Coke. Sounds funny but the truth is I save almost a large fry's worth of calories by getting the diet drink.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    I noticed this at the movies yesterday. I was deciding on a burger, said to my son do I want pulled pork or a bacon cheeseburger and he replied well mommy the pulled pork is the least at 700 calories so get that. So clearly people are noticing and paying attention. Haha
  • sunnycamper
    sunnycamper Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've seen it in NYC and I love it. When I'm trying to choose between 2-3 options, it makes it simple!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    They have that in a lot of chain places here (Chicago), so much that I just expect it, there might as well be a law. (And isn't the US one in effect or soon to be?)

I like it, but I don't think it makes a difference except for those of us who pay attention anyway.

I agree. I would like it if they implemented something similar here, but I doubt it would make a significant impact on the eating habits of non-calorie-counters.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I asked the waiter at an Indian restaurant (here in Seattle) how many calories my meal was. He said he had to go to the kitchen for a moment, then came back and told me my meal (with an appetizer, a main course, and a chai tea) was 500 kCal. It was at least three times that. I really don't know for sure but would have appreciated a ballpark figure.
    A lot of people don't like it, because "If I'm going to go out to eat I want to have a good time, not be reminded of how bad what I'm eating is for me."

It sounds like people are saying "having this information would change my behavior."
  • lemurcat12
    edited January 2017
    Options
    He probably had no idea, and should have told you that. I don't think there's any chance we are going to start demanding that local places (vs. chains) give that information.

Anyway, I don't think "I don't want it" necessarily means "it will change my behavior." As I said above, it's been quite common to chains (local and otherwise) in Chicago for some time, and when I was ignoring calories I'd simply avoid looking at it or thinking about it. Might be different in a sit-down place with a menu than a quick serve place with just a board on the wall), but again most such places wouldn't have it -- I almost never go to a chain for dinner, personally.

Where I think it is useful -- in addition to for calorie counters -- is that I think it does shame restaurants into having some lower cal choices, usually. (Or encourage them to have them as they will be popular with some, to put it more positively.)

Weirdly, I was talking to a friend of mine who has just started watching (not counting) calories and he mentioned going to Pret and getting a sandwich which I knew (since I go to Pret often) was one of the higher cal options. He then said "I checked later and it was a bad choice, should have checked before." I was dumbfounded and said "but it's next to the sandwich where you grab it -- Pret has all the calorie information right there!" He said he just didn't notice, it was crowded and he wasn't paying attention.

You really can't get easier to see than in Pret and he was in theory trying to see it, and yet still managed not to. People are kind of amazing that way.

Again, I'm still very much in favor of it -- it's great for those interested and I think leads to more lower cal options.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Almost ALL restaurants in CA have calorie values for their food. This has been going on for several years here now. Yeah, I know us "liberals" here actually have good ideas that spread pretty fast throughout America.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I am in California too and not all the restaurants have the nutritional information listed in their menus, so I agree with "almost" all of them. Mimi's Cafe used to but now you have to go to their website to find it. Also small and/or local restaurants may be exempt too. I think that the law also applies to restaurants with more than 20 locations.
    I agree that it would not make any difference to people that are not interested in counting calories (my husband raises his hand...), but it does to me.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    He probably had no idea, and should have told you that.

Instead, he lied, probably under direction from his manager since he went back into the kitchen for a moment before coming back out with a wildly implausible number that a dieter would want to hear.

The point isn't the size of the restaurant, because sometimes people go into chains and still want to make informed decisions. The point is that in the absence of providing accurate facts, people are left to guess or make them up. More information is better than less information.

Buying stuff tends to fall into two categories: when my doctor prescribes a medicine for me and I buy it from a pharmacy, the responsibility for everything to be correct lies entirely with the people I've done business with. On the other hand if I buy a house the responsibility is explicitly mine, that's why I need to hire my own inspector. Most things are a bit more of a gray zone, which is why there are starting to be laws clarifying this, that it's a restaurant's responsibility to make this information available in some cases. I shouldn't be expected to "just know" how many calories are in a dish if I can't know the recipe or even the list of ingredients.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Almost ALL restaurants in CA have calorie values for their food. This has been going on for several years here now.

AZ and many states.

• lemurcat12
    edited January 2017
    Options
    He probably had no idea, and should have told you that.

Instead, he lied, probably under direction from his manager since he went back into the kitchen for a moment before coming back out with a wildly implausible number that a dieter would want to hear.

Yeah, agree, that might have happened. Not cool. Or he had no clue, asked, the chef said some random number that sounded good to him and the server repeated it not knowing it was wrong. Then the fault isn't the server's, but not cool of the chef, he should have said "don't know" or "none of your business" or whatever, not made up a number.

My point about the size of the restaurant is that they aren't currently and are not (IMO) going to require local non chain restaurants to give calorie information. Ontario's law doesn't do that.