PCOS GIRLS

Options
PCOS= the "syndrome" that has had WAY to much control on our lives, physical health, and mental health.

I have PCOS and endometriosis and have had 3 emergency surgeries along with it. If you have it, I am sorry. I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. But if you are like me and want to stand up to our challenges and preserver then stick around. After countless doctors visits I am finally going to do something on my own.

It's basically the ADKINS diet.. where you eat little carbs.

The reason for this= studies show that it can Lower symptoms and even RESOLVE PCOS!! Let's do this!

Getting healthy and finally FEELING it.

Replies

• lycheelu
    lycheelu Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    http://paleoleap.com/practical-guide-carb-tolerance-insulin-sensitivity/

I think you'll find the above link interesting if you're just starting to look into this :) it seems like they can't figure out the causality, but weight loss seems a good place to start if you're overweight and if you are insulin resistant, low carb will be the way to go.

I've been tested for PCOS in the past but am thinking of going again as I have some similar symptoms which I suspect might be something to do with hormones/insulin etc. I'm thinking of going low carb again with paleo, as I think it's helped before.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Hope you find some relief!

My symptoms improved with increased exercise and losing weight counting calories, along with a new medication. (I eat a moderate amount of carbs.)
  • CassaJay23
    CassaJay23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just got diagnosed yesterday and I'm starting own carb and low sugar. Hopefully I can get some of this weight off by doing so! Sending you a request. Hope that's okay!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Try the Low Carber Daily MFP group. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group There's quite a few of us with insulin resistance issues like PCOS who are benefiting from LCHF diets like Atkins.

Good luck. I hope you have a lot of success with your dietary changes. :)
  • Cyndi10612
    Cyndi10612 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes!! Bc of the insulin resistance with PCOS, I am eating low carb (basically Atkins) and it does make you feel better!
  • MrsT1610
    MrsT1610 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS but after following a low carb / low sugar diet for a long time now I have all my symptoms under control (without meds) and maintaining the lowest weight I've been in my entire adult life (I'm 37).
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and so does my daughter. Weight isn't a factor for either of us....I just didn't ovulate and either does she. Not sure if any of you have children...it was difficult for me to get pregnant at first, so be sure to work with your doctor if you want kids. My daughter does have other issues with it, and has been taking BCPs for a year now. It's good to know that there are different options for treatment/diet for it. Good luck to everyone!
  • Domomallow
    Domomallow Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance... I also have hypothyroidism. Pretty much a triple threat for having any kind of chance at starting a family.
    Since I started MFP 6 months ago- I have lost 40lbs- I have lowered my prescription for my thyroid hormone replacement, and my sugar levels have dropped from 'pre-diabetic' to 'normal' range.
    I still haven't found Aunt Flo yet though.
    One of these days...
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I also did adkins about 5 years ago and went from 155-125 and have maintained since. i know eat about 20 carb, 40 fat and 40 protein. my symptoms have also decreased substantially. Good luck to you!
    PCOS= the "syndrome" that has had WAY to much control on our lives, physical health, and mental health.

I have PCOS and endometriosis and have had 3 emergency surgeries along with it. If you have it, I am sorry. I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. But if you are like me and want to stand up to our challenges and preserver then stick around. After countless doctors visits I am finally going to do something on my own.

It's basically the ADKINS diet.. where you eat little carbs.

The reason for this= studies show that it can Lower symptoms and even RESOLVE PCOS!! Let's do this!

Getting healthy and finally FEELING it.