Working mom trying to find a balance

Options
Background: I lost over 100 pounds in 2013 and had my son in December 2015. I gained more back during pregnancy than planned and instead of losing weight after, I gained even more! I'm trying to get back in the groove of eating better and exercising, but I'm already finding it so hard to balance this with full-time work, taking care of my kiddo, doing housework, being a wife, and having some sliver of personal time to myself. I told my husband that I needed his help a couple nights a week so that I could work out at home and asked that he take those 30-45 minutes to do some of the nightly tasks that I'd normally do (dishes, getting daycare bag ready, starting a load of laundry, etc.). Tonight was the first night this week that I got to exercise finally, and he sat on his rear the whole time. :( I don't want to have to rely on him because I'll only keep getting frustrated if it doesn't go according to plan, but I also NEED the help if I'm going to maintain my sanity. This was just so much easier when I only had myself to worry about!

Just looking for some support and any feedback that might help in adjusting to this new life and ensuring that I do what I need to do for me. My kid is 1 now, and I've neglected myself badly all this time! I lost all the weight in the first place so that we could start a family, but I feel like it's all in vain if I just throw in the towel now. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Prissilva
    Prissilva Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Make your child your reason not your excuse. That was my mentality when i lost weight. I understand completely I never have any me time.i love my husband but he sucks when it's his time to step it up to watch my daughter to exercise. Try incorporating you're baby in workouts.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Don't throw in the towel...unless you're using it to wipe sweat!

Find a way. 5am..6am..10pm..it's possible if you want it bad enough. You are important enough for this. I can't say that your husband needs to help because I've learned that people do what they want. But YOU have to make time for YOU regardless of their actions. So find a time that works for you. A time when maybe everyone is asleep. It's a sacrifice but YOU are so worth it! Just plan it out, put your clothes out the night before, set your alarm, get up and do it. Keep doing it until it's a habit. But make no excuses. You will not regret that you did it!

Suggestions: Find a gym that has a daycare, do at home workouts in the morning or evening, get cheap workout equipment online or from a store, watch youtube videos or cheap workout DVDs from Walmart/Target( I did this as a single teen mom to lose my baby weight). Get a jogging stroller and take baby with you.

Keep going!

• hmotis
    hmotis Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I have a 9 month old and I get it. It's so hard being a working mom and partner. But I'm sorry, you guys do need to sit down and talk about this!!! Maybe lay out a schedule so he knows what you expect and when. I couldn't do what I do without my hubby, as most of our workouts are together or me going at night when the baby is in bed. You can do this!!! I'm adding you btw :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,520 Member
    Options
    blinker86 wrote: »
    Background: I lost over 100 pounds in 2013 and had my son in December 2015. I gained more back during pregnancy than planned and instead of losing weight after, I gained even more! I'm trying to get back in the groove of eating better and exercising, but I'm already finding it so hard to balance this with full-time work, taking care of my kiddo, doing housework, being a wife, and having some sliver of personal time to myself. I told my husband that I needed his help a couple nights a week so that I could work out at home and asked that he take those 30-45 minutes to do some of the nightly tasks that I'd normally do (dishes, getting daycare bag ready, starting a load of laundry, etc.). Tonight was the first night this week that I got to exercise finally, and he sat on his rear the whole time. :( I don't want to have to rely on him because I'll only keep getting frustrated if it doesn't go according to plan, but I also NEED the help if I'm going to maintain my sanity. This was just so much easier when I only had myself to worry about!

Just looking for some support and any feedback that might help in adjusting to this new life and ensuring that I do what I need to do for me. My kid is 1 now, and I've neglected myself badly all this time! I lost all the weight in the first place so that we could start a family, but I feel like it's all in vain if I just throw in the towel now. Any suggestions?
    Join a gym with child care. It's a great way for your kid to learn how to socialize and you get an hour to yourself with no worries.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • blinker86
    blinker86 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    hmotis wrote: »
    Hey there! I have a 9 month old and I get it. It's so hard being a working mom and partner. But I'm sorry, you guys do need to sit down and talk about this!!! Maybe lay out a schedule so he knows what you expect and when. I couldn't do what I do without my hubby, as most of our workouts are together or me going at night when the baby is in bed. You can do this!!! I'm adding you btw :)

Evening workouts are definitely my preference! I'm hoping that we can work out these kinks and find a routine that works for both of us.
  • blinker86
    blinker86 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Join a gym with child care. It's a great way for your kid to learn how to socialize and you get an hour to yourself with no worries.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Kiddo is in daycare for 9 hours a day, so socialization is definitely no problem! I've never used a gym when I lost weight previously and would honestly just see it as a bigger barrier because of the extra time it would take to get there and back when I'm used to just doing a workout video in my living room or hitting the pavement near home. I know it's a great option for many people, though!